Skip to main content

The comments on Eli's post's are a great collection of notable G+ users

The comments on Eli's post's are a great collection of notable G+ users

... and I've extracted a set of 600+ profiles.

Originally shared by Eli Fennell

A Final Signal Flare to Google+

It's getting to be that time, folks. The crowds are clearing, the last few seated tables are sipping at our collective coffee cups killing time with pleasant small talk and reminiscences, and the wait staff are starting to clean up.

Soon, they will usher us out whether we like it or not, and hang that final, fateful Closed For Business sign. Google+ will be no more than a fond memory for those of us who made it our online social home. Before everyone goes, though, I have just a few things to say, before we enter the final grace period.

There are simply too many of you to name who helped make this place the great social network that it was even at times despite the mismanagement of the parent company and the hopelessness of battling Facebook head-on. So, I won't try to do so lest I sleight anyone by exclusion, but I will encourage everyone to +Mention a few favorites in the Comments below, and I'll do the same, and we'll see how many people this can reach.

Before I go any farther with this goodbye, let me drop a few links where you can follow me online after this place closes its door.

Where I'm Active

MeWe - https://mewe.com/i/elifennell
ETER9 - https://www.eter9.com/cortex/Eli

Where I'm Parked (Not Actively Posting; May or May Not in Future)

Pluspora - https://pluspora.com/people/22ef49d0ad7601364692005056268def

I've Pinned a Post to my Profile, and each of my Collections, explaining my reasons, and I'll add a link to this farewell Post there, as well. My mind is made up, for now, though I may wander to other social pastures in the future, so keep an eye out for me if you are so inclined.

To resume, there is not so much I can say about Google+ that I haven't said before many times over the years, about the uniqueness of this place, its people, the toolset available to us.

I joined when a friend who worked in marketing happened to send me a Beta Invite, back in 2011, so it is sad but appropriate that I will be here to see its end. I tried fruitlessly for a number of months to bring my real world Friends over, and then trying to figure out what to do with it, when I stumbled upon a vibrant scene of people with interests like Technology, Photography, and Marketing, as well as a select group of social media counter conformists of a less topical bent, that had been waiting just beyond the walls of Private Sharing.

There I made friends; went to online concerts; guest starred in news broadcasts, and special interest shows on topics like technology and marketing through the power of Hangouts On Air, and even briefly hosted one that is probably best forgotten as an enthusiastic attempt by an amateur show host. I connected with Chefs, Authors, Scientists, and Marketers; but also workaday men and women, moms and dads, who opened their lives a crack for the world to see.

I also had fights and fallouts; made enemies, and lost allies; enjoyed following someone for a time due to a shared love of one thing, only to feel the need to unfollow them later over others, especially during political campaign seasons. Sometimes I was the one wronged, sometimes the one wrong.

I found myself, at times, frustrated with the limitation of social media when it comes to conveying subtleties of social interaction, such as context, tone, facial expression, and even the intonation of syllables that can make the difference between a good response to ones words and a bad one. Like anyone, I also had my own personal ups and downs, in mood, or love, or fortune, or health, which affected how I treated others, and I don't doubt similar things affected others of which I was unaware and unempathetic.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, ah, but isn't that always true of the things we love most? They also try us, tax us, force us to reconsider, reprioritize, evolve. Last summer, I spent long weeks curating my account down from tens of thousands of Posts across dozens of Collections, to fewer than a thousand I preserved (which came in handy, as it turned out), and in reviewing them I was able to see the trends of this place, myself, and people within it.

So much has changed, and yet one thing remains the same, which was said early on by Anita Law: Google+ was a neoclassical salon for the social exchange of ideas, interests, and passions. It became that, nearly as much for the toolset it offered, which changed considerably over time (remember Actionable Posts? Shoppable Hangouts? Sparks???), as for the people it brought together in what I once described, copping a term from Historians and Anthropologists, as "The Long Conversation".

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently.”

These words described Google+ better, I think, than any place its size to have graced the web, though now perhaps I am becoming nostalgic and romantic. Even so, it certainly felt that way for the better part of a decade. I have been variously more or less active, more or less about Sharing or simply checking the Streams for great content to discover, but no other app or service on the internet has consumed so much of my time, my energy, my passion as this place has.

Soon, the customary place taken up by the Google+ Icons on my Phones, PC's, and Tablets will be occupied by their MeWe equivalents, but in truth nothing will ever, ever take their place. Google+ has spoiled me, given me certain expectations, which it will be nearly impossible for any future social thing to replicate, or even convince me to take much risk that it will.

This is, in an odd way, appropriately timed, as I am concluding that at this time in my life I need to start unplugging more from online services, limiting the time they can consume, especially those of a social nature which, by their very nature, cannot simply be picked up and set down on the most convenient schedule.

Thank you, Google+! Thank you to the good people who inhabited this place, as well as the fine folks who kept it going for so long, even when it became clear that the Mothership had abandoned us.

We'll meet again! Don't know where, don't when. But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day!

#SignalFlare #RIPGPlus #GPlusFarewell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YgdrhrCM8

Comments

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"