Skip to main content

I'm trying to archive my own Google+ community, and realized a very simple method is to simply "save" the webpage...

I'm trying to archive my own Google+ community, and realized a very simple method is to simply "save" the webpage using my browser (complete) and it should download all the photos, text, etc. One issue is that there is some hidden content ("Show all comments...") and truncated posts ("...") which require user interaction. I got around this because my community is rather smaller and I just scrolled through the entire post archive to load all posts, manually clicked on each "..." and "Show all comments", and then was able to save an archive.

My hope is that Google will facilitate this by enabling an option to "expand all" for all posts and then I can simply download that knowing I didn't miss anything (it's hard to say I didn't miss a single post or list of comments). Luckily, the "Show all comments" is searchable by "comments" text so I'm quite sure I got them all, but the "..." is some Javascript thing that doesn't really have corresponding text for search so I'm not sure I got it all.

I doubt anyone from Google is listening, but if anyone has an idea on how to communicate the idea to them, I would be grateful. It would make exporting so much easier, and I'm sure it's a relatively straightforward change on their Javascript code server-side to simply load everything (will be very slow to load but who cares) as an option.

Comments

”go"