It appears MeWe has made successful migration of content from Google+ Takeout. Congratulations to MeWe for this technical feat.
If you have already migrated to MeWe, consider using this feature.
If you have already migrated to MeWe, consider using this feature.

One technical detail I forgot to mention, if you have an image heavy stream you may run into a problem because the importer might push your content into the "pay" category unintentionally.
ReplyDeleteMeWe is only free if you keep your total content below a specific size threshold.
About the Importer
ReplyDeleteWhere: mewe.com - MeWe: The best chat & group app with privacy you trust.
What: Imports your Public Google+ Posts (and Public Community Posts) into MeWe, including formatted text, embedded links, and photos, with original timestamp preserved.
How: Using your Google Takeout Data in JSON < 2 gb Format.
Catch: Embedded Photos count against your 8 gb free storage. If these exceed 8 gb, you will have to pay for more storage.
My takeout .zip file was only just over 1GB. I started the import to mewe two days ago.
ReplyDeleteHow long did yours take?
A referenced URL to a successful (and friendly) user still active on Google+
ReplyDeleteplus.google.com - I can now confirm that the MeWe Google+ Importer (https://mewe.com/settings/i...
eric peacock Days.
ReplyDeleteMine is only 150MB (though I posted a lot I was trying to avoid animated gifs and videos...), and already 4-5 days in the queue. I guess they are carefully trying not to overwhelm their own servers importing massive amounts of data, but really hats of to them anyway
ReplyDeleteDoes their importer work from a G+ takeout on google drive, or do I have to download and upload?
ReplyDeletePretty sure you have to download. But I have a Chromebook so I can upload it from the Google Drive folder, since it's a first class file citizen there.
ReplyDeletethere is only 8 GB free storage? I just downloaded my G+ data and it consisted of 71 packets of 2 GB files. There is no way to get down to 8 GB.
ReplyDeleteLeathur Rokk Right, hence the warning. You could go into the files and cut out stuff... but if you aren't familiar with JSON format, I'd say not to.
ReplyDeleteLeathur Rokk Did you post a lot of Photos?
ReplyDeleteTranslation: A 256 Mb file took 5 days to import. 3412 posts were imported. 454 were not imported (probably corresponding to a private collection). Everything was imported into my timeline, so considering my previous MeWe configuration, it immediately became public. The differentiation of the origin of the posts is given by hashtags. However, as it had a collection of the same name as a Community, its contents are mixed. But attention: posts shared in the community by other people appear with my name. This could be due to the fact that I did not include the contacts in the file I uploaded to MeWe (I did it to avoid automatic invitations being sent to all of them, as someone warned). Otherwise, the posts reproduce almost identical to how they were in G+. But all this will be a great job, in order to eliminate many things that do not belong to me, because you do not know to whom they belong. For this I have provisionally deactivated access to the timeline of each of my contacts, one by one. This means that the new publications must be done in the groups, or do it in the timeline and then share them in the groups. With this I momentarily avoid the public character of part of what is imported. But not everything, because the photographs imported from the collections and communities are public, only being able to block their download. I hope that this experience will be useful to those who do not yet import, so that they can do it in parts and with care, or they can suspend it to do it considering what has been exposed.
ReplyDeleteOriginal in Spanish: Un archivo de 256 Mb demoró 5 días en importarse. Se importaron 3412 posts. 454 no fueron importados (probablemente correspondientes a una colección privada). Todo fue importado a mi línea de tiempo, por lo que, considerando mi configuración previa en MeWe, adquirió de inmediato carácter público. La diferenciación del origen de los post está dada por hashtags. Sin embargo, como tenía una colección del mismo nombre que una Comunidad, sus contenidos están mezclados. Pero atención: posts compartidos en la comunidad por otras personas aparecen con mi nombre. Esto podría deberse a que no incluí los contactos en el archivo que subí a MeWe (lo hice para evitar se envíen invitaciones automáticas a todos ellos, como alguien lo advirtió). En lo demás, los post se reproducen casi idénticos a como estaban en G+. Pero todo esto supondrá un gran trabajo, a fin de eliminar muchas cosas que no me corresponden, pues no se sabe a quien pertenecen. Para esto he desactivado provisionalmente el acceso a la línea de tiempo de cada uno de mis contactos, uno por uno. Esto significa que las nuevas publicaciones deberé hacerlas en los grupos, o hacerlo en la línea de tiempo para luego compartirlas en los grupos. Con esto evito momentáneamente el carácter público de parte de lo importado. Pero no de todo, pues las fotografías importadas de las colecciones y comunidades son públicas, solo pudiendo bloquearse su descarga. Espero que esta experiencia les sea de utilidad a quienes todavía no realizan la importación, para que mejor la hagan por partes y con cuidado, o puedan suspenderla para hacerlo considerando lo expuesto.
Guillermo Fuchslocher Thanks for the first-hand review of how the importer worked for you.
ReplyDelete#ConsiderationsAndFeatures
ReplyDeleteAll well and good, getting the takeout. Not clear about the data limit, as it's not addressed in the MeWe's promos. (I mean, no warning about uploading only a certain amount without charge, nor any clues which files or how much file space is involved in the erstwhile finished product.)
ReplyDeleteImportantly, of 4 million claimed users, can anyone point to ONE person who has successfully "imported" G+ and done anything with the result? I've heard of two, and both times they just said "success" but had no idea what that meant. I wonder too, especially as "public" is not public (where many G+ lives existed) and I've so far seen ZERO evidence of the MeWe importer's "success"....
Michael Fenichel See Eli for my evidence, he also has a thread where (IIRC) two others reported success.
ReplyDeleteEli Fennell Feel free to link to it here.
ReplyDeleteEli Fennell Thank you! I'll take your word on "success", and congratulations. (That makes you 1 of 4 million so far, that I know of.) I'd still feel a lot better if you could/would show me and others a sample of what you have. Also, I'm envisioning your collection/community content being somewhat massive. (Thanks for the report on what imported, what not). I'd be curious to know 1) What you included in the original takeout download (did it follow the instructions without problem, exactly as laid out in the MeWe instructions?) 2) Relative to the size of the takeout - in my case 27Gb! - what was the size of files now on MeWe, after the zipped folders were "processed"? Humongous or trimmed down, due to duplicates?
ReplyDelete3) You may not have this as an issue if you're a big and organized community, but as an individual I'd like to know, did you get any notice about being charged for cloud space above the gratis 8Gb?
Thanks in advance, and... John Lewis...
Hate to be a stubborn scientist-type on this, but "I want to see data!" [sic] I mean, to see evidence ("proof of concept"). Can you provide that link (or any direct evidence this takeout/import has led to a live re-enactment/transplant from G+)? Thank you much!
And PS... Again, maybe this is just me wondering this, but...
How will once-public communities and posts now reach the, you know, actual public? This question tempers my enthusiasm and skews my confidence. But I want to believe... ;)
Guillermo Fuchslocher Wow. Gracias/Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI do see a huge problem with semantics and application... There is no "public" posting, that's the reality. A "public option" will be difficult to implement too given that it is diametrically opposite of their model.
Michael Fenichel From me, I was using information from Eli's thread as proof. I am just sticking to facts I can verify and Eli's thread has some stories that you'll have to research. This is likely the end of my posting on this issue. Full disclosure: I have a known bias about MeWe but it doesn't stop me from being objective about facts.
ReplyDeleteFor the record, I'm one of those "4 milllion", and I'm not using the service, just signed up to see what it was and make an evaluation. So that number is highly inflated from a user base perspective. You can get a better gauge from the community sizes (pre-Google+ Mass Migration, where communities from here moved there inflating their largest communities.).
"I like facts". :))
ReplyDeleteMichael Fenichel Translation: In G+ I have two Collections, one "private", as it can only be accessed by invitation, and another "public" that can be accessed by anyone, even from outside G+, although only those who are members of G+ can comment. In MeWe, this "public" G+ Collection was imported into my timeline with a tag with the name of the collection in each message. The same happened with a Community that in G+ has the same "public" character. MeWe is not the same, because there are more controls over what is shared, what I am using to debug what I imported.
ReplyDeleteOriginal in Spanish: En G+ tengo dos Colecciones, una "privada", pues solo se puede acceder con invitación, y otra "pública" a la que puede acceder cualquier persona, incluso de fuera de G+, aunque solo quien es miembro de G+ puede comentar. En MeWe se importó esta Colección "pública" de G+ a mi línea de tiempo con una etiqueta con el nombre de la colección en cada mensaje. Igual sucedió con una Comunidad que en G+ tiene el mismo carácter "publico". En MeWe no es igual, pues hay más controles sobre lo que se comparte, lo que estoy utilizando para depurar lo que importé.
First, thank you Eli Fennell (so soothing to use the + tag!)
ReplyDeleteThat's wonderful, and I like that it's dated with the original post date.
So, I hereby cease to say I have yet to see even one success online.
Looking at your MeWe feed ("public" there) I don't see anything there to indicate it's from G+, but I may not know where to look. Anyway, congratulations, and thank you. (Gee, I suddenly have 47 notices on MeWe from the past few minutes! Did I strike a nerve?)
Guillermo Fuchslocher Thank you/Gracias. I have many collections, most public, a few private (which I am trying to save, as they are things like family events or professional presentations). It is nice to hear that somehow (a tag) you can see the Collection origin.
Well, my 3rd attempt is on hold again, as this time (following the directions of MeWe precisely to takeout only the .json containing folders) I got, for the first time, a "failure" notice - from Google! Fun.
Eli Fennell What can I say, except... 1) Good luck! and 2) We way be related! According to genealogy and family lore, over generations my name may have evolved from medieval roots in "Fennel" merchants. Maybe you too! :)) (or not) Triviata.
ReplyDeleteNot much... one little branchlet but through recent-era marriage.
ReplyDeleteWho knows, maybe your ancestors (if Irish) handled the barley or potatoes and mine did fennel. ;) I think most of my origins are in mid and eastern Europe. Now I'm a Googlian... Peace, cuz.
Eli Fennell Three is not "a flood", but I applaud your optimism.
ReplyDeleteEli Fennell And how many in the last two hours?
ReplyDeleteMine finished at some point today, as I just now discovered.
ReplyDeleteI'm significantly less than impressed, mostly because of how much better the Friends+Me G+ wordpress importer is.
I had really expected comparable results.
Short list of things I dislike of the mewe import:
1) There are no thread comments! Not even my own comments on my threads. Sure, I like having my posts; but without the ensuing conversations they're significantly devalued.
2) only one pic per post is shown.
This also devalues some posts, and removes some context as well.
3) "googleuserdata" images are not all there. Some are, some aren't.
4) some hyperlinks have preview, some don't. Even with links from the same site, there is inconsistency.
5) for all the "privacy" talk they have, all the imported posts are "visible to anyone on mewe". There was no option during the import process to set privacy option before initiating import. I srsly expected the imported posts to be set to the mewe default "visible only to my connections" (or whatever the phrasing is).
I find this to be the biggest fail.
Overall, I'm glad to have had the FREE service; so I can't really be that put out about it. I guess the disappointment is more my fault for expecting more.
This still leaves the Friends+Me app as the easiest and most accurate way to get your G+ content copied elsewhere.
Oh, and my. Takeout zip file was just over 1GB, so I really doubt I'm hitting the 8GB free mewe limit.
eric peacock Thank you. Now I know what I may "miss out" on.
ReplyDeleteAs of now I've tried again with only 4 zipped ones (per MeWe directions for takeout). First one was "Success" - first time I've seen that. Then the next two were "failure". Returning to computer now to check the last one. (Wanna bet?) If I can upload the one which succeeded I will; otherwise I think I'll call it a day, after a week.
Because, in the end I'm left with the same point you make (5) - what/what is able to see the "public" posts (or anything public) when they re-define "public" to mean "anyone on MeWe". That's possibly even scary, but definitely not like a public post, findable by the public. And I don't think they can do that, because of "all the 'privacy' talk" you reference. Tough to be closed and open, selectively or simultaneously, if you're a walled garden by design. IMHO. OK, last shot coming. Tnx.
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5PDZoEFT-6nOyjQceBiOxNNCUpqyrcIrmbBmGTLMbKwojlUcsL0qPlwKs4k8vXv0M46ZSyNUaj8uqT4EYj5yOhU4LrwraH02oqmz=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RVpeFhyDwkISsgw1sukKksdiClUENnCe2MXIG8-W6ksmLj75taaE-PzyO86VatFWO9nrJHF-AcWV2nmVN_OVgCBgrovVI9LN5599=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/CyXLvCkwzeaAqSuIoh_8BDkjKWtixzfrEVHyww5yP7yu9gQKmzxRP5wuXnvOWGJkoN-t9ISYr4icYn6Z3cxGzzwWvPZLMMmqO6RY=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Pg0r6D_omj_jg4N-5X16vIXJmV7HFuOWzVTDzn6mRKPlu6xVHV2GP24hobhGVyMXgBSWjh9pAogPzKpQXZsIjwqx8ZBMFsHhnuuh=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LbU69Oe5lQG-9qVLaesdYsUjCNzfeCsQezj_pBlB1bWZZl-xpxL2a9ig6DIarH7QDfrZHgGTyfes3962EVaLJE2xXXEiG6AvUs_H=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Bdt-cwqiY_K5u7hU4doFy8-43c0fKpDdoT6QEFiXz7nEghraEOPZ8d6ReQIrKkJdna6HzkTrHeWfduAHfHqSvM-V5732xyChQSpS=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/befLEPS_TrUdmCKYgXn-GtcG62C_2t7RxA8Scb2KVQ1GaY7LJ7A5CZE3Z4yjoK4cdR3iG_um5_ANLzzji86vMbvNjTMky8q8y5zi=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/t6IYVIzMxkoUNwLzn9VYaHVs_IBq5dLyTEZlSy7uo8M1sSO7bn9SrjqJXfEuhWuIdnXUi34JTnrwPSKSZgPrU8O5CbgV0L6zbNoj=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/m4swJjmp9eBwLxZdtMVwMBIEQ7NLL2mkWfd8ufWqNALvoOIQbLRjf1z766GhmF6ftwwFBI_M-GRRTFo7mFrHu5lpE_i_kusPIvGD=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Wg0OoNInveuFzRlW8vMr6oTCpK0wJ9eDXzxBZWyjS6IIRsoBVZVEGqIE-Rh9ax8vNK4Eiiwilvf-A-NY7jJy_qx726aHgwhAFPds=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/gBoYqDVzgdTqFBcXYDxblI-BztNs7ob-0_-wX0VDh4Q_X-FHsy00e8e9bHTO8eH2EJZ8yVhubpsU2gE7AdiZqYvQByxhfqkoMGkI=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/PvQU5NNJtTb7MCXUtsZfK0ri8oTtkld3ZuHQ_aH9ygwvwYh6sit78x07-9M0oMt3CL_ddAzwHK8BZw7PbJ1SgVd2q74TV1sKSuW9=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HUPhoRT23j1yzg5wUKnEkruEyybM-fGxV3xNugN5hL1ZNI5i4jW35j4lTaZhwUr0ig3_CwTPztcAFslIQssw5ni7RVwrFzC2YoR1=s0
drumroll.... I'd have won the bet....
ReplyDeleteI'm done trying. Still have the original takeout (everything) and the .json-only folders as specified by MeWe. Lots of storage to use up for no obvious reason. (That's just me; I know others are busy recreating an entire community or blog, if it can be done.) Me, I'm just happy most of my old stuff - caring most about images but also wishing some threads could be preserved intact - is mostly on my own pages or Flickr. But much isn't. :( Back to the dungeon...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DwTgOFyuVuF-2ho6XKuCFaegb0XI7tXH0a69jJwfGWO_OLggsJ_U4Z4AHAHGzh_O0ohIBBEdPOPWgSq_-YrLw6rcejHr42L-KTGc=s0