I never use Gmail from my phone, so not worried about that (to be honest, I very rarely use Gmail at all, since I have a very reliable local Internet provider (remember those?) with a great browser-based mail interface).
The Inbox shutdown is completely unrelated to the Google+ shutdown. Inbox is being shut down entirely not just for G Suite users. All Gmail users were able to use Inbox and Gmail itself interchangeably. After the Inbox shutdown, they'll only be able to use Gmail, but Gmail itself will not be affected by the Inbox shutdown. People who used Gmail instead of Inbox will see no difference.
Pat Kight We are starting a local Internet Service Provider in our town (building a municipally owned fiber optic network). We decided not to bother offering email, as there are so many people out there already doing a good job if it for free (Gmail, Protonmail, etc.).
As for Inbox, no, my favorite Inbox features are not in GMail. I sorely miss Inbox. In the two months since switching, I’ve gone from having always empty inboxes and never forgetting to deal with something, back to the mess that email always was with hundreds of messages and things to do getting dropped.
Brian Holt Hawthorne I'm going to miss Inbox, too. I used it almost exclusively, but I did switch back to Gmail for a few things. I fell like returning to Gmail is a giant step backwards.
John Skeats I thought it very interesting that the date coincided and wondered if they were in some way related. Are you sure they don't share something?
I am going to miss Inbox a lot more than I will miss G+. Inbox had so many useful and innovative features not available in any email client. Gmail has picked up a few of them, but it's just not the same.
It was experimental app to test new features, that Gmail lacked. Half year ago half of those features were moved to Gmail. Then Google announced Inbox will be scrapped, as they do not need it any more.
John Lewis my point was there are people who don't know of it and don't use it... hence it may be a failed app in terms of making them money and the reason they are shutting it off. Google is a for profit company who only cares about profit. They are not a social benefit corporation.
I'm going to close comments on this thread, because apparently there's no connection (other than the date) regarding this closure and Google+, so it's not important to this community, in terms of migrations.
New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.
I don't even send emails
ReplyDeleteI never use Gmail from my phone, so not worried about that (to be honest, I very rarely use Gmail at all, since I have a very reliable local Internet provider (remember those?) with a great browser-based mail interface).
ReplyDeleteThe Inbox shutdown is completely unrelated to the Google+ shutdown. Inbox is being shut down entirely not just for G Suite users. All Gmail users were able to use Inbox and Gmail itself interchangeably. After the Inbox shutdown, they'll only be able to use Gmail, but Gmail itself will not be affected by the Inbox shutdown. People who used Gmail instead of Inbox will see no difference.
ReplyDeletePat Kight We are starting a local Internet Service Provider in our town (building a municipally owned fiber optic network). We decided not to bother offering email, as there are so many people out there already doing a good job if it for free (Gmail, Protonmail, etc.).
ReplyDeleteAs for Inbox, no, my favorite Inbox features are not in GMail. I sorely miss Inbox. In the two months since switching, I’ve gone from having always empty inboxes and never forgetting to deal with something, back to the mess that email always was with hundreds of messages and things to do getting dropped.
I was never interested in trying the "Inbox app" anyway. I have always been happy with plain gmail, just the way it is.
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne I'm going to miss Inbox, too. I used it almost exclusively, but I did switch back to Gmail for a few things. I fell like returning to Gmail is a giant step backwards.
ReplyDeleteJohn Skeats I thought it very interesting that the date coincided and wondered if they were in some way related. Are you sure they don't share something?
ReplyDeleteno idea what the inbox app is
ReplyDeleteI am going to miss Inbox a lot more than I will miss G+. Inbox had so many useful and innovative features not available in any email client. Gmail has picked up a few of them, but it's just not the same.
ReplyDeleteJohn Lewis I'm positive.
ReplyDeleteShelenn Ayres Google it. ;-)
ReplyDeleteHoe can gmail accounts be affected?
ReplyDeleteYou mistake two different apps.
Inbox is NOT gmail.
http://inbox.google.com
http://gmail.com
It was experimental app to test new features, that Gmail lacked.
Half year ago half of those features were moved to Gmail.
Then Google announced Inbox will be scrapped, as they do not need it any more.
Arioch The What point are you making? I'm saying they are turning off Google+ and Inbox at the same time... implying perhaps some cross code.
ReplyDeleteI actually preferred Inbox over plain Gmail, and am sad to see it go.
ReplyDeleteJohn Lewis my point was there are people who don't know of it and don't use it... hence it may be a failed app in terms of making them money and the reason they are shutting it off. Google is a for profit company who only cares about profit. They are not a social benefit corporation.
ReplyDeleteShelenn Ayres Gotcha.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to close comments on this thread, because apparently there's no connection (other than the date) regarding this closure and Google+, so it's not important to this community, in terms of migrations.
ReplyDelete