WHAT'S YOUR REVIEW OF THE NEWER SOCIAL MEDIA SITES?
Here are mine:
Minds.com - Minds looks like a Facebook/LinkedIn clone with Twitter elements. You can even have your own channel, like YouTube. Seems cool, looks promising, but no - it was all too good to be true. I started getting white supremacist/alt-right/neo-nazi/americhristian crap in my feed, and it was so prevalent I had to turn off the boosted option. But just out of curiosity, what if I wanted to boost my own posts? I have to first buy bitcoins, then use the bitcoins to buy tokens. I don't like the idea of buying secret money to buy fake money, so the site was useless to me. This is Minds' scam, I think - they partner with bitcoin to get others hooked, which raises its value. Too bad bitcoin is crashing.
Apparently, Minds is useless to the Android and Apple stores too. They got rid of Minds.com, to which Minds desperately tried to find the high group. They made it seem like they were boycotting Android and Apple over censorship, but let's face it, they would have done that beforehand. No, Minds got removed for being a harbour of racism and the CEO spun it as an attack against censorship. In short: "you can't fire me, I quit." Very dishonest of them, and is telling of the cowards in that site. I don't think Minds is the place for me.
Oneway.com - It's just a reskin of Minds.com with a very Christian Conservative focus. Same alt-right/white supremacy/neo-nazi/americhristian trash. Seriously, don't bother - it's a waste of time.
MeWe.com - It's probably the most disappointing because it has the most wasted potential. I'm not going to retread my views on the shuckster Mark Weinstein. I've said what I had to say, and others have said it better. I'm also not going to talk about the white supremacy/neo-nazism/proud boys/alt-right hubs. It has the potential to be really great if they just get rid of those losers. But no, it's the site itself.
Above all, it's boring and not because there's no one one there. There is, but coming together just to avoid privacy isn't really a conversation starter. On top of that, it's temperately trying to be a Facebook clone with the sole purpose of replacing Facebook. Why not come up with a new IP, or cooler innovation? But no, instead they are trying to be as generic as possible, hoping that enough people will only go there just for privacy. And recent word of mouth got out that maybe they aren't as private after all.
After all of this, I still have hope for MeWe. Just nothing anything else pertaining to it.
YouMe.social - I don't feel too good about this one, even though it's the best of the lot. With a name like this, you can't be sure of the quality. Sure, it looks good. And hopefully the owner can make it look more like Google Plus, rather than a boring Facebook clone (seriously, we don't need anymore of those). Also, it needs a top-level domain to be taken seriously. The whole "dot social" just doesn't roll off the tongue. And how is anyone going to find it? I still like the idea of it, but eh.
Openbook.social - Another boring Facebook clone. But I'll give it time, and wait for it to open before making too many more judgement. I just can tell from the domain there's a glaring problem, and it happens to be related with the product they're advertising. Seriously, drop the "dot social" act. It's not catchy, and people are going to see it as a scam site.
Atmos - Well, it hasn't started yet. But I like the idea of it. If it looks like Google Plus, maybe (and I think it's obvious that Google+ is the standard I measure them all too). The purple is kinda weird too, btw, like it's in perpetual dark mode.
Diaspora - I was on Diaspora for a while, but it's a ghost town. Even more so than Google Plus is now. Eh. Not interested. Plus, you can't build communities? Build communities, and then I'll consider.
OK, those are my reviews. As you can tell, I'm looking for something that will be like Google Plus, but that just isn't happening. Really, there isn't any place for Google Plussers. It would be better if Google + somehow spun off communities, but with the recent troubles they've been having, I think they want out of the social game. For good or for now? That's too be seen. Goodbye G+, you lovable misunderstood genius of a social network.
Here are mine:
Minds.com - Minds looks like a Facebook/LinkedIn clone with Twitter elements. You can even have your own channel, like YouTube. Seems cool, looks promising, but no - it was all too good to be true. I started getting white supremacist/alt-right/neo-nazi/americhristian crap in my feed, and it was so prevalent I had to turn off the boosted option. But just out of curiosity, what if I wanted to boost my own posts? I have to first buy bitcoins, then use the bitcoins to buy tokens. I don't like the idea of buying secret money to buy fake money, so the site was useless to me. This is Minds' scam, I think - they partner with bitcoin to get others hooked, which raises its value. Too bad bitcoin is crashing.
Apparently, Minds is useless to the Android and Apple stores too. They got rid of Minds.com, to which Minds desperately tried to find the high group. They made it seem like they were boycotting Android and Apple over censorship, but let's face it, they would have done that beforehand. No, Minds got removed for being a harbour of racism and the CEO spun it as an attack against censorship. In short: "you can't fire me, I quit." Very dishonest of them, and is telling of the cowards in that site. I don't think Minds is the place for me.
Oneway.com - It's just a reskin of Minds.com with a very Christian Conservative focus. Same alt-right/white supremacy/neo-nazi/americhristian trash. Seriously, don't bother - it's a waste of time.
MeWe.com - It's probably the most disappointing because it has the most wasted potential. I'm not going to retread my views on the shuckster Mark Weinstein. I've said what I had to say, and others have said it better. I'm also not going to talk about the white supremacy/neo-nazism/proud boys/alt-right hubs. It has the potential to be really great if they just get rid of those losers. But no, it's the site itself.
Above all, it's boring and not because there's no one one there. There is, but coming together just to avoid privacy isn't really a conversation starter. On top of that, it's temperately trying to be a Facebook clone with the sole purpose of replacing Facebook. Why not come up with a new IP, or cooler innovation? But no, instead they are trying to be as generic as possible, hoping that enough people will only go there just for privacy. And recent word of mouth got out that maybe they aren't as private after all.
After all of this, I still have hope for MeWe. Just nothing anything else pertaining to it.
YouMe.social - I don't feel too good about this one, even though it's the best of the lot. With a name like this, you can't be sure of the quality. Sure, it looks good. And hopefully the owner can make it look more like Google Plus, rather than a boring Facebook clone (seriously, we don't need anymore of those). Also, it needs a top-level domain to be taken seriously. The whole "dot social" just doesn't roll off the tongue. And how is anyone going to find it? I still like the idea of it, but eh.
Openbook.social - Another boring Facebook clone. But I'll give it time, and wait for it to open before making too many more judgement. I just can tell from the domain there's a glaring problem, and it happens to be related with the product they're advertising. Seriously, drop the "dot social" act. It's not catchy, and people are going to see it as a scam site.
Atmos - Well, it hasn't started yet. But I like the idea of it. If it looks like Google Plus, maybe (and I think it's obvious that Google+ is the standard I measure them all too). The purple is kinda weird too, btw, like it's in perpetual dark mode.
Diaspora - I was on Diaspora for a while, but it's a ghost town. Even more so than Google Plus is now. Eh. Not interested. Plus, you can't build communities? Build communities, and then I'll consider.
OK, those are my reviews. As you can tell, I'm looking for something that will be like Google Plus, but that just isn't happening. Really, there isn't any place for Google Plussers. It would be better if Google + somehow spun off communities, but with the recent troubles they've been having, I think they want out of the social game. For good or for now? That's too be seen. Goodbye G+, you lovable misunderstood genius of a social network.

Mewe isn't privacy, if you read their TOS under Mewe log, you can read about ther trackers and how they collect data. Also it is a very bad place to anyone who wants to upload images, it just not the soical media people think it is.
ReplyDeleteIt's kind of funny that many people were always eager to describe G+ as a ghost town. Yet I've have had the best conversations and met the most interesting people right here.
ReplyDeleteEric Buijs I mean GPlus a ghost town now. Yet Diaspora is more of a ghost town than Google Plus, even as the latter is closing. But yes, I agree, I've had some awesome experiences on this social media site too. Too bad to see it go.
ReplyDeleteGary Gregory Nicely done, I agree. For now I will content myself with making the occasional comment on a YouTube video or on an interesting science article that happens to show up on my specifically tuned Google News feed. Perhaps, in time, one of the popular competing platforms will prove itself to be worthy, or irresistible. But for now, I am done with participating on social media in the larger sense. I never have had a Facebook or Twitter account, not do I intend to. I see the Internet as little more than an incredible library now, the social interaction part will play only a small role going forward. TNQ
ReplyDeleteTodd Q The only worthy one right now is YouTube, but I rarely comment. Honestly, it's time to embrace the blogs and forums again. You're right about it being a library. We have an incredible source of information at our fingertips, and we're only rediscovering this after we disconnect from the social media sites.
ReplyDeleteI've tried MeWe and Pluspora. I actually tried MeWe 3 times and ended my deleting my account for the 4th time. It's not possible to reach anyone with hashtags - the only way is posting to groups and I'm not a big fan of them.
ReplyDeleteKerem Go What's your opinion of MeWe?
ReplyDeleteGary Gregory Same as yours + I don't have time & energy to build everything from scratch there.
ReplyDeleteMy experience about Diaspora seems to be somewhat different; my stream has 52 posts made by others during the last 12 hours (I'm on the Pluspora pod), so it doesn't really feel like a ghost town. I do miss communities though.
ReplyDeleteAs for MeWe, for me the problem seems to be that it's feels hard to discover interesting people and groups. I'm sure they're there, but so far I haven't really had the energy to actively look for them.
Mika Yrjölä I currently have about 20 posts over the last 12 hours in my stream. More importantly the're relevant to me. However it took me some time to find interesting people and find the right tags and I constantly keep tinkering with the stream.
ReplyDeleteI also miss communities but I found a solution by joining a very vibrant Mastodon instance that specializes in open source software, the community that I appreciated the most.
Gary Gregory You might like to check out Pashpost.com, if you haven't already. It's interest-based and has groups similar to G+ communities, if that's what you're looking for. Although they are not too many groups and group members at the moment, but it could be promising. If you select several interests, you will find articles of your liking appearing in your feed.
ReplyDeletepashpost.com - Explore PASHpost
Gary Gregory I'm going down the blog route so that I am in control of what I write/post. I share those posts out to Fb and Twitter and micro.blog. I'm less worried about engagement at this point but I'll see where it goes and how much effort it takes.
ReplyDeleteLiza Hadiz Thank you Liza! This Community (Edward Morbius et al.) has been amazing at constructively helping to educate G+ Alumni on their options. PashPost is thrilled with the strong reception it is receiving by G+ users; Pash has the look/feel of G+ but, as you note, also delivers custom news and marketplace feeds designed around your interests. Pash is also rapidly adding improvements and enhancements, including text markdown, better formatting/link previews, additional moderator tools and more, many in the next two weeks so we'll be 100% ready when G+ goes dark. Thanks again Liza!
ReplyDeleteRon "PASHpost" Gavillet The name doesn't interest me. Why not just call itself "pash"? Is it because the website is taken? A monosyllabic word works best, but two can be good too (Face-book, Twit-ter, Tumb-blr, Linked--in, even Me-We, etc.) I'll have to check out the website though. Just don't see the site going anywhere right now. Maybe this is just my bias, or maybe I'm just cynical, but nothing can come close to replacing Google+
ReplyDelete10hrs ago MeWe announced it will have a G+ importer coming soon. They have a photo of the importer option to come before April 2nd.
ReplyDeleteIf anything MeWe can "hold" your data for the early to mid term, as folks are waiting for these social sites to show their features.
Kevyne Kicklighter eh, it just wants to hook new members. It's betting that they all have over 8GB worth of data, to which MeWe will promptly charge them for. Meanwhile, some cloud based storages are free for twice as much...
ReplyDeleteGary Gregory I'm just passing the info along, for folks who didn't know. How about signing up for a 5th time to check the announcement? The importer is said to be available before April 2nd.
ReplyDeleteAll these platforms are new. They're rough around the edges. But give credit where credit is due.
youtube.com - Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue