Skip to main content

Cross-commenting Universal Social Blog client idea

Cross-commenting Universal Social Blog client idea

The prospect of migrating my posts and comment threads has focused my idea of what I really want in a social media application. And I think this is it:

1) New Blog entries are crossposted to multiple social media sites.

2) Comments from one site are cross-posted to other sites, so everyone participates in the same replicated comment thread. For example, if someone posts a comment to my pluspora post, replica quote comments are commented onto the G+ and Mastodon posts.

3) Local storage of my Blog, including comment threads.

4) Ability to migrate my Blog (including comment threads) to any new social media site/pod. For example, I decide to create a Mastodon account. Then, I make a Mastodon plugin which autoposts all my blog entries and comments on them to replicate the comment threads.

What's so great about this?

A) It makes it easier to participate in social media sites which may not have legs. For example, I'm wary of MeWe. But with this sort of system, I could crosspost my stuff to MeWe without making a significant investment in time/effort. If there are interesting comments, those won't get lost if MeWe goes under. I have a local copy of all comments.

B) The comment threads are unified. I don't have to check a bunch of different sites to see what comments there are, and the comment discussions aren't silo'd in separate threads. I often find it frustrating when I develop interesting ideas in comments, because no one reading the post on another site will ever see it. Sure, I could manually cross-comment with copy/paste, but who's going to go through all that effort? Much better to automate the process.

C) If I decide to get into a new social media site, I don't have to start again from scratch. I can autopost my Blog content (maybe just the last few months). People can see what I have to offer because my new profile page already has a lot of content.

Additionally, all posts and comments are stored in a SQLite3 database, which can be independently queried so it's easy to do useful searches and filters and such. Each post and comment is a record in the main table (text field in SQLite can be up to 1GB in size). To make the application relatively easy to modify, I'm thinking maybe to implement it in Python.

For example, a Python modification could be used to automatically delete posts made by "blocked" users. This could be useful for participation in social media sites which lack a blocking feature.

Fundamentally, this application is focused on writing and cross-commenting. To limit the scope of the project, I'm NOT looking to handle the reading side, or handling of followers/followees. In other words, it's a blog writer, not a reader. I mean, I'd kind of love to have a centralized stream reader also (for one thing, a centralized stream reader could filter out all posts/comments by a "blocked" user). But I'm trying to start with something relatively focused.

Any thoughts? Suggestions for a good name for the application? I was thinking maybe CrossComment something something, but...

Comments

”go"