Skip to main content

In this interview (which I haven't finished reading yet), it is said that comments on Instagram can be deleted by AI...

In this interview (which I haven't finished reading yet), it is said that comments on Instagram can be deleted by AI without the commentor being informed. The comment still appears on the commentor's phone, it just doesn't get distributed. Based on highly variable feedback on my Facebook posts, I've often thought this has been happening to me on Facebook. It's not that my posts are attacking anyone, it's just their distribution model favors posts likely to get "happy" interactions. My sense is it was formerly biased towards political engagement, but since that got them into hot water, they've tweaked it. I've noticed their advertising has improved, but that's probably the result of better tracking. When I say improved, what I mean is they're showing me more ads I'm likely to click on. Oh - and I think my Instagram tracking history has been used for Facebook ads.
https://www.wired.com/story/jack-dorsey-twitters-role-free-speech-filter-bubbles/amp

Comments

  1. One of the things Jack Dorsey says later on that I disagree with is that issues like global warming are not going to be solved without global dialogue such as made possible by social media. I say wtf? When it was discovered that the ozone layer was getting dissolved by CFCs, the scientific community was not influenced by refrigerator and air conditioning repairmen weighing in on the topic. The scientific community discovered the problem, discussed the solution, and the politicians acted on their recommendations. Now with social media, the politicians are listening to Joe Schmo talking out of his ass. If it were up to the scientific community, we might already be making more progress towards reducing emissions that are causing global warming. Instead, we've got a proud no-nothing that hopefully we'll be able to eject, but after four years of ass-gazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freedom of speech on Twitter?! That's a laugh... People tweet something that a certain group of people don't like to hear and got attacked by an angry mob and end up loosing their job... The cost of freedom's never free.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"