Skip to main content

So I know it says that GSuite enterprise G+ will continue, but who knows what that means?

So I know it says that GSuite enterprise G+ will continue, but who knows what that means? Here's my situation. I have a collection called The Future Is Pretty Rad, focusing on science, tech, sustainability, futurism, etc. I've managed to amass a solid 114k followers to that collection, and it's been a fun engaging group. It's really just an aggregated news site of cool stuff happening. While I've already migrated my photography activity to other platforms, not sure if there's anything I can do to preserve this collection? Is there a way to transfer it to a GSuite account I have for my VR company?

As far as alternatives, I like MeWe, but, well, truth be told, it's just another platform that may very well disappear down the line, and not to keen on building another following and then starting all over again, which is why I'm leaning towards something like Tumblr or even, (gasp, gag, hold my nose closed) a Facebook page. Also, MeWe does not have public access to communities/groups, so people have to be connections to follow a group.

In any case, if there's any way that anyone knows of to preserve the collection, even moving it to a G-Suite account, would love that information.

Humbly,

me.

Comments

  1. Tumblr and Facebook may very well also disappear, get shut down or have their features radically changed one day.
    The only way to have full control over your community, is to host your own community platform (and take frequent backups, and keep it updated, in case your contract with your host gets terminated for any reason, or in case it gets exploited by scriptkiddies abusing unupdated software).
    For communities it probably makes the most sense to install a forum. phpBB and vBulletin are probably the most stable forum software with a long history of development and available templates and modifications to shape it the way you want.
    Only then is the data and the software really under your control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for migrating it to GSuite: even if Google would add support for that, it would likely only be accessible to users within your own GSuite domain, which (should) mean it would only contain the posts by you, as else the other posters would no longer be able to control their own content.

    As I understand it, Enterprise G+ for GSuite is only meant for communication within an enterprise, so only containing posts from and accessible to other users within the GSuite domain. Think of it as a separate G+ instance for every GSuite domain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wasim Muklashy. Building on what Filip H.F. Slagter said, there is currently no way to transfer a collection from one Google account to another, nor is their a way to convert a consumer Google account to a G Suite account.

    Even if one of those existed, all of the consumer followers of your collection along with all of their activities on posts in the collection would disappear when consumer Google+ is deleted and, as "FiXato" suggested, it appears that all content in what will essentially be the new enterprise Google+ would not be visible to anyone outside of your G Suite domain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, thank you for all your guys' words and thoughts and expertise and recommendations. While Tumblr and Facebook may well disappear as well, I feel like there's less of a chance of that happening in the immediate future. And I don't need full control of my community, heck I don't want full control of my community, that's too much responsibility as well as sounds like a new realm of technical knowledge, a rabbit hole that I just have no interest/time in falling into unfortunately. I just need a stable platform where I can continue to aggregate tech/science/sustainability/robots/etc news that I've been sharing in the The Future Is Pretty Rad. As far as the GSuite users being the sole audience for the collection even if I were able to transfer it, that totally makes sense. You're probably right. I feel like my phishing expeditions to salvage the 114k G+ followers is just, well, a fatefully doomed effort. We'll see where how this goes... Thanks again for your expertise guys! Filip H.F. Slagter John Skeats

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasim Muklashy Keep following this community, as well as the following development efforts from users:
    Spencer Salyer: https://github.com/sdsalyer/gplus-archiver
    Bernhard Suter: https://blog.kugelfish.com/2018/11/google-migration-part-iv-visibility.html
    and myself: https://github.com/FiXato/Plexodus-Tools/

    Hopefully any or all of our efforts will lead to a suitable solution in case Google doesn't provide one in time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Filip H.F. Slagter Oh absolutely will do. Thanks so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"