Skip to main content

Egyptology collection is moving to Blogger

Egyptology collection is moving to Blogger

#signalflare

Originally shared by Aakheperure Merytsekhmet

Endings and Beginnings - this Collection is moving to Blogger 2019
Dear Readers,
As most of you (hopefully) know, Google + will be closing down, so this Collection will no longer be available. I'm currently working on moving most of it to Blogger, so that at least a record of what I have posted and we have discussed will continue to be online.

The process of moving the Collection is slow, Blogger has broken most of the links so I am having to redo all these manually.

I will be around on G+ until close to the shut down but I don't want to post too much here as I will only have to move it later.

It had been my intention to cease blogging, but the encouragement I have had to continue, in particular from my tutor, Doctor Joyce Tyldesley, have made me re-evaluate that decision. Once I get the original Collection published then I can work out a schedule for further blogs. You do not need an account to view the blog.

If this is where we part company, then I would like to thank you for reading, and hope that in some small way I helped you understand the wonderful topic of Egyptology just a little better by unpacking information, and sharing news from reputable sources. I hope that you continue to evaluate information about this topic, and your world in general, thoughtfully.

There are a lot of hard working Egyptologists out there doing great things and they do post about it.

Always try to get your information directly from people associated with the field, rather than people pretending that having no training somehow makes them more able to interpret information. Check the sources, follow up the leads.

While nothing will really replace Google + for me, if you would like to follow me elsewhere that would be great:
https://egyptologymd.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/Aakheperure
https://www.instagram.com/aakheperure/
and of course if you would like to support me by buying my art or just want something cool for yourself, check out my store on Redbubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/aakheperure

Again, thank you all for reading

Life Prosperity Health
Aakheperure



https://egyptologymd.blogspot.com/

Comments

  1. Thank you for the #signalflare Edward Morbius in all the kerfuffle of the shutdown and the demands of life off screen it didn't occur to me to post about this here.
    It should be noted that this is a Collection of my own posts on the topic and not the Community (which I moderate, and which will need a separate home).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aakheperure Merytsekhmet this is a Collection of my own posts...

    Right, I worked that out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a shining example of keeping the good from G+ and rising from the ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anton A Thank you! It's been a bit of a rough ride, but thanks to the folks in this Community and the discussions held here, I was able to work out what I should do with it. The formatting differences will mean I need to rethink certain elements like the way I post and how often but that's just how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aakheperure Merytsekhmet I'd love to hear from you what the challenges / questions / answers / good bits were from all of this.

    I'm thinking of starting to write up a post-mortem of this whole experience, and successful (and unsuccessful) community migrations are part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Edward Morbius I may only be able to comment on my Collection while the Community is still a problem. Let me know how you wish to communicate about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aakheperure Merytsekhmet dredmorbius protonmail com would work fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aakheperure Merytsekhmet maybe one blog post about the learning curve to migrate, or is that already there (I skimmed, sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diana Studer I'm not sure how productive it would be to post here at this stage, (if that's what you meant?). I certainly had to seek assistance irl and the process was difficult, as was the decision making process because Google has really let us down. We might not be "many" in their book but a lot of us won't forget this. I have been in contact with Edward to pass on my thoughts later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aakheperure Merytsekhmet no I meant a post ON the blog - but that is your choice.

    You will have some readers there who would be interested in following in your footsteps, or to have someone to ask, how did you, how can I.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diana Studer Ah I see. I don't envisage adding it as a post, but I might add more technical details to the existing page (https://egyptologymd.blogspot.com/p/about-this-collection-2018-edition.html).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aakheperure Merytsekhmet Respect - I seldom see that sort of serious quality content! Sometimes in tandem , as a research thread for post-graduate students.

    You can also use Blogger on a paid domain (if you want to avoid the blogspot in your URL)

    David Kutcher is a professional for commercial sites on Blogger - if you need an extra layer of help sorting an issue. One of his clients is (something like) rare maps in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diana Studer Thank you. While I don't foresee the blog as useful for my MA studies, one of the main reasons I wanted to keep it 'live' was because many of the links are still useful to a wide audience and it was also a good way to keep up to date.
    I confess the wholesale lifting of content from the Community I was Modding to pashpost without our/my knowledge did make me re-evaluate the effort I put in to my posts. Mind you, the thing that takes the longest is bludgeoning the HTML to get it to look decent. I'm under no illusions as to how easy it is to steal content, but the scale of it did give me pause.
    I do have my own domain but prefer to keep it separate from Google's grubby grip for the moment, but I've set up a landing page and blog scaffold ready to go and have a friend who can do those magic things with "code" to import it.

    Thank you also for the heads up re David Kutcher, I've found and bookmarked one of his articles about Blogger to read later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I skimmed StatCounter this morning to check traffic on yesterday's blog post, I wondered if you are using (Google Analytics or ) StatCounter for your new blog?

    It is interesting to see where your readers come from, both geography (how much from Egypt itself??) or from which site / link.
    If and what they download, unless you have tried to block that.
    If and which exit links they click.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two tricks against opportunistic scrapers (equivalent to locking the door, but they can still break the door down)

    If they are your own photos use a watermark (yes, I know can be airbrushed out, or sliced off as mine was, but that may deter some thieves)

    For the content, scatter links to your own earlier posts, where they serve a useful purpose in the content.
    And your variation on - this content was originally posted by ... at ... with an active link. (Yes the links can be deactivated, but the words are likely to remain visible, and searchable)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diana Studer Great tips thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"