Skip to main content

Administrivia: My Very Extensive Blocklist & re-share reach

Administrivia: My Very Extensive Blocklist & re-share reach

An issue as I'm attempting outreach on G+MM stuff: I have blocked a lot of G+ profiles. (And been blocked by quite a few.)

I'm willing to reconsider any of those on a case-by-case basis in light of the present shutdown situation, though I'm also still highly aggressive in blocking spammers and other nuisances. I've unblocked a few people on request or reconsideration over the past two months on this basis.

This also means that my own posts on G+ may not be visible to a fair share of active profiles. For some materials, such as the G+MM Short FAQ, this means that reach is limited.

You're strongly encouraged to link to off-G+ content or re-post items rather than share my posts. Even those I've found hard to stomach may need new online homes.


One of G+'s more attractive properties was that it wasn't a particularly good mass-audience platform. That's becoming a bit of a headache now. Ways of breaking through to those who remain is a high priority.

Comments

  1. I have wondered if Takeout should extend Circles to include export files for Followers, Blocked and Muted. Although I'm not entirely comfortable with global and large block files used automatically. And in any case the limited information available in the Takeout profile data wouldn't be terribly useful in transferring blocks from one platform to another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julian Bond I don't see any practical use for that presently, though building support for backing up (and importing) such data in future Google products might be something Google may want to do.

    Given limited resources and other targets, I'd say leave this for later.

    Mastodon presently have an equivalent functionality.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"