Skip to main content

Should I blog or should I microblog? ¿Porque no los dos? Pterotype

Should I blog or should I microblog? ¿Porque no los dos? Pterotype

I've seen many people approach the question of "what platform should I use" as if there was only one answer. There is not.

And that is both for G+ users as a whole and for you personally. There's no need to be locked into a single message delivery and receipt system, which is what most media platforms boil down to. And best, you can interconnect between systems, playing off their strengths.

In the ancient times of August, 2015, I did a little exploration of where interesting content might be, by searching for a list of "global thinkers" compiled by Foreign Policy magazine, across about 100 sites, including social media, traditional media, alt media, and numerous other classifications.[1]

There were some expected findings (Facebook is ginormous) and surprises (Google+ really isn't that intellectual, as measured by that metric).

Two of the biggest surprises were that tiny little itty bitty Metafilter (about 1/1,000th the size of Facebook) has astonishingly high content quality, and Wordpress, King of the Blogs, did impressively well with a huge catalogue of material with impressive relevance.

The problem with blogs is that they are hard to find, reach, discover, and interact with. The advantage of blogs is that you can organise, arrange, format, tag, and structure what you write. Which is why they're so popular. (Wordpress actually powers a whole slew of other sites, one of the reasons the platform is as big as it is.)

The problem with big, meaty, juicy text (what are you looking at me like that for) is that it is hard to get in front of people). It's the light an airy stuff that travels well. If you want to advert people's attention, you want an adverting medium: one that lets short little ... birdsongs ... of text float across the stream.

Or Mastodon toots.

Twitter and other microblogs are essentially an advertising medium. Not in the sense of "pay to promote", but in the sense of "making others aware of some more significant message". And like all tools, this can be used for good or bad.

My future goal is to tie both blogging and microblogging together, and I'm looking at a set of tools for that. The tool here isn't one I'm contemplating, but the basic principle is the same.


Pterotype makes your Wordpress blog appear to be a Mastodon instance to Mastodon users. They can follow you, see your posts, and reply to them.

Pterotype makes Mastodon engagement appear as Wordpress comments to the blog owner. Responses are synchronised back to the blog and appear there.

That is, each group can access and engage with content from their preferred platform. It's a best-of-both-worlds scenario.

And I'd like to suggest that the model is the future of online engagement, one that busts us out of old silos.


Stop thinking of single platforms. Start thinking of open networks, and of making it blindingly simple to interact with these.

This isn't a new thing. Postal mail, books, phone calls, video, and any number of other information media come from and go to all kinds of devices, formats, organisations, and tools. There's some porting and patching involved in some cases, the end user and producer are often unaware of much of this. There's little reason our online experience cannot be similar.

That's my hope and dream here.

________________________________
Notes:

1. Tracking the Conversation: FP Global 100 Thinkers on the Web https://old.reddit.com/r/dredmorbius/comments/3hp41w/tracking_the_conversation_fp_global_100_thinkers/


https://jeremydormitzer.com/blog/announcing-pterotype/
https://jeremydormitzer.com/blog/announcing-pterotype/

Comments

  1. You need to be on the top tier of hosted WordPress.com (the Business tier) to use plugins. I guess that is not a problem if you self host.

    I like the interop idea, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lars Fosdal Fair point, though the message here is the concept of interconnectivity. Not the specific mechanism, product, or limitations of those.

    Though in implementation, you'll want to pay attention to such things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edward Morbius Let me just say that I think ActivityPub is great, and I really hope that it gets a very wide adoption.

    I love the idea of finding your home of choice and doing your publishing there, but still being able to reach the various silos as if they were one.

    As a social site, you would have to be nuts to ignore the potential of this. I wonder what MeWe, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and others will do?

    I searched for Diaspora and ActivityPub, and the results were not very positive. It seems their devs are reluctant to change/add distribution method.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lars Fosdal Combing through someone's (relatively) recent G+ posts yesterday, I was reminded that Firefox just junked RSS in a recent build.

    You can still get a feed through extensions/plugins. But it's not part of the core browser mix itself.

    I had a sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I signed up for theoldreader.com - The Old Reader - I don't like the direction of Feedly. ... but we digress...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lars Fosdal sorry, misremembered the name; thought there was an L in there when there wasn't; updated previous post with links.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diana Studer I'm not sure if I can give an objective answer to that. I just don't like the UI and their freemium model.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lars Fosdal I use Feedly (Mobile) and ... meh. It's OK, but kind of gets in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edward Morbius Yeah, that is a good metaphor for what's wrong with it. It does get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure if engaging in social media is worth a monthly bill to me. Most of the time I don't think it is. Then, sometimes, I start to wonder. And when I do wonder I start to think about how I would justify the cost. Would it be the way I might justify a game subscription? What if no one finds/interacts? Is that still worth it? With a game I'm at least able to play regardless of what other people do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. John Wehrle Again: Pterotype is one tool for this, and it carries a tab. There are other means of accomplishing a similar result using free-to-use and Free Software tools.

    I also suspect there are individuals and organisations who would be willing to pay, and already are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm showing a forest. People are discussing trees.

    These are related. They are not the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edward Morbius and I choose one forest, instead of tending many (social) trees. Unless the trees get automated link dumping, which doesn't speak to human side of social.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Edward Morbius I have chosen to pay this time around, because free has let me down. However, the models can combine and probably need to.

    Why do I share? It is not to sell something, it is not for likes or +1's. I enjoy the conversations and discussions. They give me insight into other points of view, and challenge my status quo. They allow me to take part in people, places, events and knowledge, and to share a little of my own.

    I guess it is about the social in social media, and as for the medium: let's hope for the future that the medium will be interconnected media.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lars Fosdal Exactly. The real challenge is finding that conversation and regrettably the big aggregators (FB, G+, Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter) are all problematic or limited. There's a reason that 10-15 years ago there was a tier of blogs, with "A-list" blogs getting all of the action because right place, right time, etc.

    I have hopes for Diaspora, but it is still incubating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cindy Brown I started in 2009, at the end of your glory days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My glory days? I was never an A lister.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cindy Brown sorry I meant your, as in your post's content. 10-15 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"