Skip to main content

Data Migration: I'm strongly considering changing my recommendation

Data Migration: I'm strongly considering changing my recommendation

Since the G+ sunset was first announced, I've been recommending people run a Google Data Takeout, if they are or might be interested in saving their Google+ content.

The reasons for this were twofold: preserving data early before departures or deletions removed content they might wish to preserve, and to test out the process itself.

The announcement was made nearly three months ago, and we have four months until the final G+ shutdown. Though there are some channels open with Google to improve the Google Data Takeout process and provide for usable conversions and imports to new platforms, there's a stark fact facing us.

Google Data Takeout is unreliable, complicated, vastly oversized, and at best difficult to work with. For all practical intents IT DOES NOT WORK FOR ITS STATED PURPOSE.


Google have communicated effectively nothing about this publicly. My read from the Google+ Help community is that Google are not talking to the mods there -- Google+ Top Contributors and Product Experts. I've not been direct party to discussions, but the ones I've been aware of have been at best limited and problematic.

Since 21 October I've contacted Google, privately and publicly, multiple times, through multiple channels, requesting answers to questions of general interest. Google have not answered, directly or indirectly, at all. We're facing the end of 2018 under these circumstances.

It's true that Google have largely been in year-end shutdown mode for the past two weeks. But it is also true that Google cut another four months from the schedule originally published, without any prior warning, and might well do so again. The schedule, and any applicable constraints, are entirely within Google's control. And Google have proved themselves to be an exceptionally unreliable partner.


Weighed against this, there's an alternative presently available, from a vendor who's served the Google+ and other social media communities for years, which works, and while it's not free, is reasonably low cost. It appears reasonably secure, in that it runs completely on the user's own desktop system. It's not suitable for all cases, such as mobile-only or bandwidth-capped users. But it does offer a viable option for many, and is the only present option for Google+ Community owners, mods, and members who wish to preserve content there, as a whole.

There are several other tools either in development or working for some cases, though not as fully developed as the one above.


I'm leaning strongly toward specifically recommending the Friends+Me Google+ Exporter as a primary export option instead of Google Data Takeout. F+MGE works, produces usable extracts, can port directly to a Wordpress or Blogger site, and handles Communities. It does not presently export photos, though that's a feature in development.

I've had several email and G+ exchanges with the author, but otherwise have no interest. I've still not used the tool, though I've seen useful results from those who have. I should probably use it before I do officially change my position, which ... is another item on my to-do list.

Thoughts on this?

Comments

  1. Michael Warburton The question is what the policy of this sub and the Plexodus movement are.

    And guiding that: What is best for Google+ users.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan Cox I've made and downloaded an archive. I can probably squeeze something out of it. What I needed was about 450 MB. What I got was 15 GB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edward Morbius, I've been waiting for the "sweet spot," when F+MGE is most mature but before it's too late to avoid the last minute stampede to get our GPlus data.

    What I'm reading from you now is, "Today's as good as any day, but be sure not to wait too long." Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott Scowcroft F+MGE will update previous extracts if run again, based on the developers' responses to other questions. Which is another massive lead it has over GDT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edward Morbius I am in the process of downloading the ... Thing goovle provides.

    I am mostly interested in my posts, and my comments. Not necessarily sorted into collections, but that could be useful.

    Is this system going to let me grab my comments on others' posts or is that not happenin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still waiting for the same reasons...
    Though I shouldn't because my contacts are deleting their accounts and thus their comments on my posts :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found it useful, and only have limited amounts of data. If I had a group, I'd definitely try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edward Morbius I'm not sure why using jq is such a big problem using it on a few Json files.

    But yes, I'm also using my own set of python scripts to backup my content (including all things I've referenced in my posts, eg. YouTube videos).
    But I'm not sure they would be if any help to other people...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would love to save my collections, not sure what's the best tool.
    No idea of size either.
    Is F+MGE the solution for me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read somewhere ( and maybe it is just a rumour, or I may have misunderstood it) that Google plans to shutdown their API much before April. I have even heard something like end of January.
    I guess this might affect third-party tools like F+MGE?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christa Runge True. API starts shutting down 27 Jan, fully by 10 Apr.

    #PlexodusWiki FAQ;

    social.antefriguserat.de - FAQ - PlexodusWiki

    ReplyDelete
  12. Edward Morbius Thanks.
    Starting shutdown end of Jan, fully 07 March...

    Just wondering how much of G+ functionality can even then be available after this, until the total blackout in April.
    Well, of course, they could use some internal, undocumented API.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christa Runge These are external, third-party APIs.

    Presumably, Google's own use for internal purposes (including G+ Apps) should continue to operate.

    Or possibly not. Google have been exceptionally unclear and unreliable on all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm, what about Art. 20 GDPR "Right to data portability" maybe EU citizens should send a formal request to Google to get a proper machine readable export. Or even have their data transferred to some other controller?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jürgen Christoffel yes, you should and hurry. Make a noise

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't used communities (until this migration post) but simply trying to download the complete stream of posts from my account and a number of others. The takeout files are buggy. It took 3 attempts to get a successful takeout generated, and I now have 120GB of tgz files in my Google drive. I'm looking through them as they come down and can see that the html rendering is broken. CSS is broken, but I haven't debugged that. What I can see is that all the href and src tags for images are broken as they either omit the file extension (e.g. not putting .jpg on the end of the name) or they don't put relative links to the subdirectories in the takeout. This means images don't show, and the links to the large images are broken.
    I've logged feedback with Google, for what it is worth. :-(
    I've always been a huge fan of Google products, but their handling of the G+ shutdown is destroying the trust I've had in them.

    And I'm at a complete loss as to why I can't simply move my complete set of posts across to my Gsuite account. So disappointing. I've actually started taking a look at Microsoft Office etc for the first time in 15 years to see what is going on over there...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stephen Edwards Use JSON format, not HTML.

    Otherwise, that sounds accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. With all the problems with takeout, the fixes to it that introduce new bugs and the lack of a changelog, I've been worrying about the Takeout sunset. We've asked when Takeout will stop working and been told nothing.

    There are good reasons for doing a final Takeout after G+ goes read-only and/or hidden to capture the last dying moments of posts and comments. With Buzz and Orkut, Google gave us a grace period when the platform had closed but Export/Takeout was still available. From memory this was about 6 months.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"