Skip to main content

This isn't a scientific study. I've only attempted it twice but I'd like to know what others have experienced.

This isn't a scientific study. I've only attempted it twice but I'd like to know what others have experienced.

I've only posted URLs on MeWe a few times. For the most part, the app behaves as you'd expect... It accesses the web page and displays a link along with a key graphic from the site while permitting comments

On the two occasions I've tried to share NPR articles, however, this hasn't happened. On the first occasion, after waiting a ridiculous amount of time, I succeed in posting the literal URL only. No amount of finagling could force the default behavior. The second time I gave up even trying to share graphical content. In both cases, the articles displayed perfectly on G+ (both were deleted from MeWe).

I know sites don't always behave the way you'd expect them to so, perhaps, this is just the luck of the draw or a behavior peculiar to NPR.

Thoughts?

Comments

  1. I've had the same experience with NPR on MeWe. Just as there are some that don't work on Diaspora and Google+, there are a few sites that don't work on MeWe. I read a technical description that said there are several ways sites expose preview data, and those sites are using a less commonly supported method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just took a look at the source of an NPR page. I’m not surprised that MeWe can’t parse a preview out of it! It looks like Twitter had the same problem so NPR special-cased some fields for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Further proof that MeWe has a hard Right Wing/Nazi leaning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony Payson I have read Janet's explanation before on G+ problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diana Studer The Washington Post is an example of this same issue on G+. Notice how their articles never have a headline?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony Payson no, it’s just further proof that Standards matter, and that having a site based on cookies+JS eventually leads to self-exclusion.
    Said self-exclusion may not be global or 100% effective, but in a game of cumulative margins, a 10% attrition rate accumulated over 8 potential reshares translates to a 57% loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"