Skip to main content

I'm starting to think that people just don't get how Google plus worked and why it was great.

I'm starting to think that people just don't get how Google plus worked and why it was great. I mean we all know why it sucked sometimes-the spam that ruined my well functioning community, the trolls. But it's different. I met like minded people from all over the world, sparred with the best of them at times... Um, because I can be spicy and sassy AND know there is a responsibility that goes along with that freedom of speech (regularly wearing biggy britches.) and ending with a cheers (ipa, in hand.)

I'm going to miss g+. I've looked around... I'm somewhat disappointed at the alternatives, but still I'll keep looking.

Comments

  1. I've theorized before... G+ wasn't quite ready for the general public when it first rolled out. Then when they got the set up easy enough for the general public, people had already given it a look and decided it was too complicated - and by this time they were also thoroughly embedded in Facebook and didn't see the need for an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but as they made improvements, that changed. I watched the whole thing from the beginning... So I disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it's not perfect (nothing is) but it's better than every other alternatives out there. We endured its real name policy, forced YouTube integration, removal of useful features and also the influx of spam in recent years, which made us somewhat battle-hardened veterans in the social media wars but we chose to stay anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Combining photos with plus... Bad idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still hanging on until a clear path from G+ emerges. Certainly something good, even better than G+, can evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter Gossner never heard of friendica until recently - there's so much out there to investigate its a little overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tessa Neill afaik photos was part of G+ from the start, and it was actually the ripping Photos out of G+ and merging it with PicasaWeb that was bad for G+.
    For the Photos standalone service it probably wasn't such a bad idea though, even though I miss some of the old G+ Photos' features such as its editor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I remember about 3 years ago people that didn't want to use g+ complaining that photos and g+ were combined or connected. Not everyone used g+ but they did use photos. I liked Picasa way back when. It's fun to access my Picasa archive. In fact, that's where my photos ended up when I did the auto back up on the app - weirdest thing. They never did show up in Google photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. G+ attracted people who wanted to debate and who'll defend their beliefs (hey, nerds are nerds!). Only place other than G+ I found that was open and allow debates with a higher level of discussions is Quora. Other places are closed shops, and discussions get boring, same o' same o' stuff (why I can't stand twitter and FB, I want meat with my potatoes, not knowing people who wanted to talk about eating meat and potatoes!).

    You can meet your opposites on G+ too, which is challenging and fun, especially if they can debate well with logic (not just partisan rancor). Sometimes you just want to test new ideas and see who can debate the topic ... G+ is a good place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kevyne Kicklighter I stopped posting on Quora after they decided to suspend my posting abilities over my name not meetint their naming policy.
    Quora also has a high number of questions that must be either fake, or meant to cause drama.
    The idea of the site is nice, but the execution of it is less than ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Filip H.F. Slagter Oh, it has it's problems (the real name policy is horrible -- what real expert will post on political questions and wish to keep their careers, for example???), but the debates from some questions are interesting (especially if two experts in a field are at odds).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Filip H.F. Slagter yeah - I've seen way too many questions that contain an explicit bias in how the question is asked. It's as if they're either trying to trap people into answering from that biased angle or they're trolls looking for rebuttals to further refine their attacks (perhaps in other venues).

    ReplyDelete
  13. What I suggest to people is:

    1. What do you want from online interactions.
    2. Who do you depend on for those interactions?
    3. Where are they headed?
    4. Where can you interact with them?
    5. What tools exist to facilitate this?

    That is, rather than focusing on where do I want to go I'm starting with what do I want to do. I'm adding the filters of what (or where) will I NOT do/go, and what appears a likely development path for a given option.

    I'm finding this useful at cutting through the numerous options.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have mixed feelings about G+. Other than one awesome active community I am still in, most communities I was in were either ghost towns with little to no activity, or, full of jerks and Nazis. Plus (no pun intended), there are seemingly tons of fake spam profiles on here. I do like not seeing too many ads on G+ though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tom29 Communities are often too large, and without good spam controls can get out of hand. If your interests are Mayan archaeology, for example, going to a general archaeology community will be spam central.

    Why I prefer joining collections instead. The audience is narrower and regulars are there for a specific interest. It's more like a blog to check in daily and chit chat with the regulars.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kevyne Kicklighter Interesting. I wish I had known about that. Now I have 10 months to enjoy that. Seems like music-related stuff on G+ is dead, no activity for the most part.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"