I'm surprised to hear myself defending 2,99 per month, but the site has no advertising and no parent company the size of Alphabet. I've heard people saying they'd gladly pay for G+ since the shut down was announced.
When you don't pay for a product... YOU are THE product... Mewe so far... without paying for anything is the best alternative I found to post, have my friends with me and enjoy without anyone telling me twice a day I'm spam...
It should be absolutely no problem to set a payment system in place that has companies pay for pages (even granularily by company size or income) and let those payments sponsor nonprofit pages (as mine).
I share my content freely and without payment (and put a lot of work into it). If MeWe does not want it by requesting payment: Their problem, there are more than enough other channels I can utilize. My idea always was to bring the content I create to the places where the people reside (as a service to the readers there). If MeWe does not want that content, so be it. I will not pay for pages.
I know of one person where MeWe shut down his profile without any given reason. He owned at least one com there I believe, and the com disappeared as well.
For myself, I have a page there and want to delete it. There is no current way to do that.
So, remember, this shiny new toy has some growing pains.
I was about two weeks late hearing the news that G+ is shutting down, and by the time I started vetting alternatives, so many were promoting MeWe...regardless of its downfalls.
Here's some fun conspiracy: It almost seems like there's some concerted effort happening to make sure MeWe is front and center for alternatives.
This is exactly what I expected would happen with Pages, I'm afraid.
One the one hand it seems like a good reason to avoid MeWe, but on the other, as a company, they so need some sort of income, and a more public presence as a premium feature is probably one of the more honest ways to do that.
It does put a small obstacle on getting a public presence on social media, though.
I'm still planning on doing something with Hubzilla, but so far, that still hasn't moved beyond plans.
Martijn Vos I installed a Hubzilla instance, but maintaining and updating it is a pain in the ... you know where. This may be fit for general use by non-techies in probably two or three years (main problems are that no automated update and plugin or theme installation solutions are there atm).
That's a shame because I really like the Hubzilla non-centralized approach. A downside however is the time it takes to mitigate content through the network. discussions will be problematic as you can see answers probably hours later if some hubs are slow.
So you probably see an answer to a discussion way too late.
stefan holzhauer That's the big problem with these federated open source networks. They are incredibly powerful in theory, but in practice still require a lot of work, and that's going to be volunteer work.
I'm thinking about starting my own hub, opening it up to others with a Patreon page so people can chip in if they want to, and then getting really involved in Hubzilla development, including customising my hub in order to make it more user friendly and more aimed at the sort of thing Google+ers like.
Jou have to join a group, but you only need to subscribe to a page. In my opinion the difference is to actively engage in discussion (group) or to mainly get information and comment sometimes (page). That's how it is here or on Failbook.
Or set up a group to "viewer' and make it a read only group.I've heard of people doing that to replace their G+ collections on MeWe and had success. Might've been from on this community, but I don't know which posts/members right now.
They're going to need to monetize somehow, and selling your data is one of the possible ways. Premium features is probably more acceptable to the user base.
Don McCollough I mentioned the open group with all members set to Viewer here before. It works fine as an opt-in collection, but the big thing missing is that there is no way to see a list of the groups someone owns. At least I haven’t figured out a way.
I didn't consider MeWe as an alternative for me as an artist because of the media storage of 8GB If MeWe is funded from buying the Pro License then I don't see a reason in wanting money for more storage
Alina The Hedgehog it could take up to 8 years to use that, depending on your usage, but it's the same with Google drive, you get a certain amount free then you have to pay. You can delete old images or self host. It's rather simple. Images are compressed on MeWe so you don't use it for original storage
Brian Holt Hawthorne You have an I "button " on the group... There you can see how many members are in the group, names, numbers.... You can even change the color... Can make albums... In a group that's the equivalent of subjects on communities...
Jenny-Gabriela Kolonaty Yes, but if you look at my MeWe profile page, you have no way of knowing what groups I have created. That's the one piece missing.
Brian Holt Hawthorne You are right... The groups aren't yours like the communities here... and you cannot see them on your page... Everyone can make changes ...The group belong to the members... But hey they changed the name from groups to communities... And that is telling me that they listen to g+ refugees... They are planning changes... Everybody is sending them at least a feedback per day... I believe that in a couple of months we'll feel there more at "home" than now... There is a mewe group that if you haven't joined it yet... I recommend you to check it out...
Jenny-Gabriela Kolonaty I’m not sure what you mean when you say that if I create a group on MeWe everyone can make changes and it belongs to the members. I don’t see that. If I create a group, I can give other people permission to make posts, comment, reshare, etc. but I am still the only one who can make changes to the group.
whoever creates a group is in full control of it, they can use it like a collection with only then being able to post or like a community
Groups in MeWe are still called groups. But now there are "Pages" for businesses etc. On mobile there is a new section called Communities that encompasses Pages and Groups.
Mark Stronge Yes- and that is what is causing confusion. the desktop and mobile interface using different terminologies and then people ask questions but don't say what device they are using. I'm sure eventually things will get sorted out but right now it leads to messiness :)
al m I've had the same thought. And it drives me crazy that no matter how many times I say it, there are always more MeWe people who don't know that MeWe is sealed off from the rest of the web. Posts can't be shared outside of MeWe, and search engines such as Google cannot show MeWe content in their search results. MeWe is a walled garden for now, invisible to the rest of the web. We've been told that they'll change that with MeWe 2.0, probably sometime in 2019. But only a fool would put all of their eggs in the MeWe basket!
stefan holzhauer Those will only be public within MeWe. The CEO has said that making posts public outside of MeWe will have to wait until version 2, which should come out some time in 2019.
Peter Maranci I happen to like that private walled garden... I love the name you gave it... I think is better than the market place in here... But hey... Is just me...
Peter Maranci Not all of us find the Walled Garden concept objectionable. Just as Facebook, LinkedIn, G+, Instagram, ettc.aren't a fit for everyone; so to with MeWe and the other smaller platforms.
Andrew Hatchett Depends on what you mean by “participation”. Anyone can read my Google+ posts without needing a Google account. Once upon a time, Google+ actually allowed me to see how many people read my posts, though that capability went away years ago.
Brian Holt Hawthorne I don't regard just reading something as participating. Reading is, imho, a passive act that the original poster can't know about whereas participating is something that lets the original poster know some kind of willful action has been taken by the other party.
Andrew Hatchett My point was that Google+ used to track how many times someone viewed my posts and let me see those data. Sure, not everyone who viewed the posts actually read them, but I definitely consider someone reading what I have written to be participation, whether the person responds or not.
Brian Holt Hawthorne That was the very reason Google dropped showing "Views". It was false 'data' and was too subjective to have any real meaning. Now only posts,comments, and "+1"'s count - and rightly so as far as I'm concerned.
New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.
so far simply I can't manage this g+ shutdown in any way
ReplyDeletemy friends and my parents
ReplyDeleteHmm, paying to use MeWe, or getting paid to use Minds... I can't decide :P
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised to hear myself defending 2,99 per month, but the site has no advertising and no parent company the size of Alphabet. I've heard people saying they'd gladly pay for G+ since the shut down was announced.
ReplyDeleteWhen you don't pay for a product... YOU are THE product...
ReplyDeleteMewe so far... without paying for anything is the best alternative I found to post, have my friends with me and enjoy without anyone telling me twice a day I'm spam...
It should be absolutely no problem to set a payment system in place that has companies pay for pages (even granularily by company size or income) and let those payments sponsor nonprofit pages (as mine).
ReplyDeleteI share my content freely and without payment (and put a lot of work into it). If MeWe does not want it by requesting payment: Their problem, there are more than enough other channels I can utilize. My idea always was to bring the content I create to the places where the people reside (as a service to the readers there). If MeWe does not want that content, so be it. I will not pay for pages.
I know of one person where MeWe shut down his profile without any given reason. He owned at least one com there I believe, and the com disappeared as well.
ReplyDeleteFor myself, I have a page there and want to delete it. There is no current way to do that.
So, remember, this shiny new toy has some growing pains.
I was about two weeks late hearing the news that G+ is shutting down, and by the time I started vetting alternatives, so many were promoting MeWe...regardless of its downfalls.
Here's some fun conspiracy: It almost seems like there's some concerted effort happening to make sure MeWe is front and center for alternatives.
stefan holzhauer Whatever site you finally decide on, you still may want to read about Openbook and pre-register for their beta coming out early 2019.
ReplyDeleteplus.google.com - The first bigger update about what's actually going on at openbook... :)
This is exactly what I expected would happen with Pages, I'm afraid.
ReplyDeleteOne the one hand it seems like a good reason to avoid MeWe, but on the other, as a company, they so need some sort of income, and a more public presence as a premium feature is probably one of the more honest ways to do that.
It does put a small obstacle on getting a public presence on social media, though.
I'm still planning on doing something with Hubzilla, but so far, that still hasn't moved beyond plans.
al m I know about OpenBook and look forward to it. :)
ReplyDeleteMartijn Vos I installed a Hubzilla instance, but maintaining and updating it is a pain in the ... you know where. This may be fit for general use by non-techies in probably two or three years (main problems are that no automated update and plugin or theme installation solutions are there atm).
ReplyDeleteThat's a shame because I really like the Hubzilla non-centralized approach. A downside however is the time it takes to mitigate content through the network. discussions will be problematic as you can see answers probably hours later if some hubs are slow.
So you probably see an answer to a discussion way too late.
Jenny-Gabriela Kolonaty says:
ReplyDeleteWhen you don't pay for a product... YOU are THE product...
It's possible to have other options.
Go check out that Openbook link I left on this thread.
stefan holzhauer That's the big problem with these federated open source networks. They are incredibly powerful in theory, but in practice still require a lot of work, and that's going to be volunteer work.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking about starting my own hub, opening it up to others with a Patreon page so people can chip in if they want to, and then getting really involved in Hubzilla development, including customising my hub in order to make it more user friendly and more aimed at the sort of thing Google+ers like.
But it's in PHP, and I'm not a big fan of that.
Since I don't use pages, this wouldn't effect me.
ReplyDeleteMartijn Vos The Google+ shutdown will infuse those federated approaches with lots of wo/manpower, I hope.
ReplyDeleteHow are pages different than groups?
ReplyDeleteJou have to join a group, but you only need to subscribe to a page. In my opinion the difference is to actively engage in discussion (group) or to mainly get information and comment sometimes (page). That's how it is here or on Failbook.
ReplyDeleteal m
ReplyDeleteI did... Don't like it...
Or set up a group to "viewer' and make it a read only group.I've heard of people doing that to replace their G+ collections on MeWe and had success. Might've been from on this community, but I don't know which posts/members right now.
ReplyDeleteMike Kennedy The same way G+ Pages are different from G+ Communities.
ReplyDeleteA Page is a brand.
A Community/Group is a place for people to gather.
I can only guess you don't like this $2.99 a month is because you have a page on Google+.
ReplyDeleteI think $2.99 a month will prevent the many thousands of dead pages that exist here existing on MeWe and bring quality content to the platform.
I wonder why I haven't been asked to pay for MeWe Pages so far.
ReplyDeleteHalfey Halphstein
ReplyDeleteBecause they are still in Beta - Once they come out of Beta that is when they will start asking for payment.
They're going to need to monetize somehow, and selling your data is one of the possible ways. Premium features is probably more acceptable to the user base.
ReplyDeleteDaniel Dillman
ReplyDeleteThey are already monetized - check out MeWePro.
mewepro.com - MeWePRO: The best chat, collaboration, and security
That is what is supporting the free MeWe
Don McCollough I mentioned the open group with all members set to Viewer here before. It works fine as an opt-in collection, but the big thing missing is that there is no way to see a list of the groups someone owns. At least I haven’t figured out a way.
ReplyDeleteI didn't consider MeWe as an alternative for me as an artist because of the media storage of 8GB
ReplyDeleteIf MeWe is funded from buying the Pro License then I don't see a reason in wanting money for more storage
Brian Holt Hawthorne thank you.
ReplyDeleteAlina The Hedgehog it could take up to 8 years to use that, depending on your usage, but it's the same with Google drive, you get a certain amount free then you have to pay. You can delete old images or self host. It's rather simple. Images are compressed on MeWe so you don't use it for original storage
ReplyDeleteYep totally agree...
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne
ReplyDeleteYou have an I "button " on the group... There you can see how many members are in the group, names, numbers.... You can even change the color... Can make albums... In a group that's the equivalent of subjects on communities...
Jenny-Gabriela Kolonaty Yes, but if you look at my MeWe profile page, you have no way of knowing what groups I have created. That's the one piece missing.
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne I'd send that as feedback if you haven't already. I will do the same as that is a good feature to add.
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne
ReplyDeleteI personally don't want everyone who looks at my profile page to know what groups I may have created.
If I did want that I'd simply pin a post on my profile with invitations to what I have created.
Brian Holt Hawthorne
ReplyDeleteYou are right... The groups aren't yours like the communities here... and you cannot see them on your page...
Everyone can make changes ...The group belong to the members... But hey they changed the name from groups to communities... And that is telling me that they listen to g+ refugees... They are planning changes... Everybody is sending them at least a feedback per day... I believe that in a couple of months we'll feel there more at "home" than now...
There is a mewe group that if you haven't joined it yet... I recommend you to check it out...
Jenny-Gabriela Kolonaty I’m not sure what you mean when you say that if I create a group on MeWe everyone can make changes and it belongs to the members. I don’t see that. If I create a group, I can give other people permission to make posts, comment, reshare, etc. but I am still the only one who can make changes to the group.
ReplyDeleteJenny-Gabriela Kolonaty
ReplyDeletewhoever creates a group is in full control of it, they can use it like a collection with only then being able to post or like a community
Groups in MeWe are still called groups. But now there are "Pages" for businesses etc. On mobile there is a new section called Communities that encompasses Pages and Groups.
Mark Stronge
ReplyDeleteYes- and that is what is causing confusion. the desktop and mobile interface using different terminologies and then people ask questions but don't say what device they are using. I'm sure eventually things will get sorted out but right now it leads to messiness :)
al m I've had the same thought. And it drives me crazy that no matter how many times I say it, there are always more MeWe people who don't know that MeWe is sealed off from the rest of the web. Posts can't be shared outside of MeWe, and search engines such as Google cannot show MeWe content in their search results. MeWe is a walled garden for now, invisible to the rest of the web. We've been told that they'll change that with MeWe 2.0, probably sometime in 2019. But only a fool would put all of their eggs in the MeWe basket!
ReplyDeletePeter Maranci Or someone looking for a private, walled garden.
ReplyDeletePublic posts were announced as happening this year.
ReplyDeletestefan holzhauer Those will only be public within MeWe. The CEO has said that making posts public outside of MeWe will have to wait until version 2, which should come out some time in 2019.
ReplyDeleteMark Stronge
ReplyDeleteThanks... That's how we learn...
I figure that out... And you are right... I love it...
And... Thank you for excepting me...
Peter Maranci
ReplyDeleteI happen to like that private walled garden... I love the name you gave it...
I think is better than the market place in here...
But hey... Is just me...
Peter Maranci Meh. Another reason to go elsewhere.
ReplyDeletePeter Maranci
ReplyDeleteNot all of us find the Walled Garden concept objectionable. Just as Facebook, LinkedIn, G+, Instagram, ettc.aren't a fit for everyone; so to with MeWe and the other smaller platforms.
Facebook is mostly a walled garden too. Their public pages are searchable on Google I think and that's coming for public pages on MeWe in December.
ReplyDeleteMark Stronge
ReplyDeleteWhen it came down to actual participation/engagement, G+ itself was a walled garden since you had to have a Google account. :)
It seems some have an actual fear MeWe may actually succeed.
Andrew Hatchett 🎯
ReplyDeleteMark Stronge Facebook allows people to post publicly, and those posts are visible without a Facebook account, just like Google+.
ReplyDeleteAndrew Hatchett Depends on what you mean by “participation”. Anyone can read my Google+ posts without needing a Google account. Once upon a time, Google+ actually allowed me to see how many people read my posts, though that capability went away years ago.
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne
ReplyDeleteI don't regard just reading something as participating. Reading is, imho, a passive act that the original poster can't know about whereas participating is something that lets the original poster know some kind of willful action has been taken by the other party.
Andrew Hatchett My point was that Google+ used to track how many times someone viewed my posts and let me see those data. Sure, not everyone who viewed the posts actually read them, but I definitely consider someone reading what I have written to be participation, whether the person responds or not.
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne
ReplyDeleteThat was the very reason Google dropped showing "Views". It was false 'data' and was too subjective to have any real meaning. Now only posts,comments, and "+1"'s count - and rightly so as far as I'm concerned.
Andrew Hatchett It had real meaning to me, and I really miss it.
ReplyDelete