Sebastian Fernandez Alberdi and seems to be growing. yes there's a little bit of porn that infiltrates but the bottom line if you got used to that shit on Google Plus well you know what to expect..if you don't want to block it just ignore it don't click on to the post unless you just crawled out from under a rock I'm sure someone seen boobs butts and a dick before lol.. the fact that they're trying to make it work like the old G+ that's a plus to mewe offers public posts groups acting like communities it's getting better.. what I like is the fact that I don't care what people say about the founder or not they took a proactive approach and they're listening and really developing the site and the app my hats are off to them..
Michael Warburton no Mikey no adverts.. just simple people saying what they've opted to use. it's amazing how many people have gone over there though really surprised me I didn't think there was going to be so many migrants. interesting that a bunch of communities I used to post to literally are there before Community again relaunched but the same exact theme same exact kind of posting and everything..if little pods aren't for somebody there after the open the try anything else maybe somebody will come and hear about Facebook and something else. we all know about your opinion to me we in the owner and your biasesness doesn't really matter apparently to the masses that have opted to use it.. all I'm simply say it is for 10,000 people around the world that's a very very low number
Michael Warburton sorry for that about MeWe ;) I’m not even a member (yet). What I meant is that for me 10k is a sign of weakness and a risk for the future. I’ve 4 times more people in my current G+ communities.
Regarding the numbers, it's worth remembering Pluspora is just one pod in the Diaspora* network, and some G+ refugees have gone to other pods, or set up their own, or gone to other federated networks. All these people are still connected despite appearing to be in different places, which makes it harder to compare the numbers with a more traditional site like MeWe.
I'm enjoying the federated space much more than MeWe, but that's partly because the MeWe interface messes with my brain. The federated space gives you much more control over the UI, without having to pay (MeWe having said it'll introduce a "dark" option which would potentially make the site accessible for me - but I'd have to pay for it)
Indeed, there are many Diaspora pods, and Pluspora isn't the biggest. Add to those Friendica and Hubzilla nodes too, which all federate with each other.
Fern Kali Unfortunately, diaspora like Pluspora is only accessible to people who can code. Their mobile web interface is simply unreadable for someone with aging eyes. Pluspora is a great place for young people who want to code. Until they fix the mobile UI, I am unlikely to use it much at all.
MeWe is not much better. Although their UI on iOS seems to pay some to attention dynamic text settings, their type sizes are about half what every other iOS app has for the same setting. And since it is a system wide setting, that means I can really use MeWe either.
So far, G+ is the only social media app I have found that actually supports accessibility settings on iOS.
At least the default size on MeWe and Twitter are readable with my reading glasses on, unlike Pluspora which is, well, how about an example? In the attached screenshot, the pluspora.com at the top bar is what I have my accessibility settings at. All the text should be that size. As you can see, it’s not._https://plus.google.com/photos/..._
Brian Holt Hawthorne Perhaps the problem is, in part, iOS? I use pluspora quite easily on Pixel3 (android, obviously) and I'm 65. No coding required. The Google+ app on Android has only slightly larger type (if it is, in fact, larger at all; they're that close) than the web view of pluspora. Note that I am not using anything other than Chrome to browse pluspora on mobile. If there's a "pluspora app" I am unaware of it.
Scott Gomez iOS is fine. Pluspora doesn’t have a mobile app, but when you view their app on a mobile device, they serve you a mobile UI with hard coded type sizes. Google+ has a native app, and it uses the built in accessibility features in iOS to display larger text. Of course my browser ALSO uses those accessibility features, but Pluspora goes out of its way to hardcode type sizes and thereby defeat the browser’s settings.
Sebastian Fernandez Alberdi What I meant is that for me 10k is a sign of weakness and a risk for the future. I’ve 4 times more people in my current G+ communities.
So why not stand up a diaspora* or hubzilla node for your communities and give those 40000 people a way to connect with the many others on other nodes, and help give the benefit you believe exists in greater numbers to the rest of the federated nodes?
It's quite inexpensive to do, spares your communities the endless advertising required for sites like facebook, and could easily be community supported at very low cost.
2. Content is (largely) publicly visible. You're seeing a Pluspora post here. Contrast with other platforms in which it's necessary to join just to view content. Regardless of whether you intend to stay.
3. The highly-active core G+ userbase is somewhere between 50k - 120k users, or so. That's a statistic based on methodologies I'd developed, and was independently arrived at and verified by Stone Temple Consulting in 2015.
4. It's really not how big it is, but how you use it (and how it can be used). Diaspora / Pluspora tend to increase visibility and engagement, many other sites silo and segment it.
That said: members aren't the same as monthly actives. G+ has over 3.4 *billion* members, by profile counts, but something on the order of 3-10 million monthly actives, at least on a public posting basis -- maybe 10x that amount if you include lurkers. There are lots of ways you can take a presumptively large membership or userbase count and turn out only a very modest actual engagement rate.
Looking at one such site, I've found that the largest, general-interest discussions have fewer than 20,000 members. Contrast G+, where with about 3-10 million monthly actives, the largest communities have ... about 7 million members or so. Or Reddit, where you'll find forums of upwards of 20 million members. (Not that the conversational quality is great, but ... they exist.)
And Pluspora's members have, save 100 or so, all joined since 8 October 2018. Much as G+MM's 4,300+ members have, and where we see phenomonally higher engagement stats than are typical of most G+ communities (again: something I've measured directly).
Bryan Ruby I have no particular interest in “engagement” or “discoverability” or any of those other marketing buzzwords, although I understand that others do. Also, I believe that Edward Morbius ‘s numbers are estimates of the number of active public posters on G+, not the number of active users.
But ultimately, none of that matters to me. I just want a place with at least a few dozen interesting people. If 10,000 candidates is enough to generate that result, then Pluspora will be fine, at least once they fix the UI. As the total number of subscribers increases, not only does the likelihood of meeting Interesting people increase, but also the odds of running into assholes, Nazis, and people trying to sell me something. So, Pluspora could be a good middle-ground: a core of potentially interesting folks, with more available from elsewhere in the Fediverse, but not so many that I spend all day blocking people.
Finding and adding new people is much easier on MeWe, but I find myself removing or blocking a significant portion of those that others suggest to me. It feels like the wild old days of circle sharing on G+. And that’s not a good thing.
Brian Holt Hawthorne Correct in that the direct inference of my and Stone Temple's analysis as publicly-visible posting activity. But further inferences and metrics can suggest total actives: the 90/9/1 rule, follower and view counts, Google Web Search results, and analysis of Communities activity levels.
So 3.5m monthly posters likely gives about 10x lurker population, call it 35m. GWS estimates suggest 10% or less the level of public Facebook activity.
Google's own recent (2018) announcements refer to "millions" of users. Not tens or hundreds of millios, with previous claims of up to 300-400 million floated (2014-2015).
Brian Holt Hawthorne yes but many are willing to take that good with bad.. remember how many people went on to the Google Plus help page and said please don't shut Google Plus down.. there willing to take to delete report block concept they've now gotten used to. knowing the kind of horseshit you'll probably find over there. but what's interesting or how many people did not want Google Plus to go away they were willing to if Google Plus kept going the way it is right now would be perfectly content with it..Many with a lot of people who unlike most people here are not very tech-savvy but more your everyday Janes and Joes. so the whole pods and disapora/ pluspora or friendica it's a little bit confusing to them. Many refuse to go back to Facebook because of piss-poor experiences prior. so the fact that mewe has literally reached out and is trying to make things work the way G+ did is one of the reasons so many now moving over to it it is the ease-of-use.. whether you use the app or the desktop version...that's what I find very interesting dealing with the different things that you still have to deal with IE:porn, spam, idiots, trolls but the fact that so many got used to it on G+ people are willing to deal with it too still be have the same kind of social media experience nothing radical or trying to figure out especially those that like sharing pictures and music; music especially
Trucker Kev The Paid Tourist Those folks are likely to gravitate to some place like MeWe which is much simpler to understand and use than any of the federated sites.
Michael Warburton Perhaps for you. Just figuring out how to add someone is counterintuitive. Example: someone here on G+ posts a link to their Pluspora profile. How do I add them? If I tap on the link, it opens the page, but says I am not logged in. So, I log in, and pluspora puts me in my profile instead of leaving me on their profile so I can add them. I suspect this is yet another problem with the Pluspora/diaspora mobile web interface, but that’s all I use for social media.
One thing I like about Pluspora is that it looks like G+ used to, and works similarly in many ways. I hear from people that it's complicated, but once I'd actually signed up and given it a go, I didn't find it any more complicated than a traditional network
Brian Holt Hawthorne All interfaces are learned. Familiarity and ubiquity are themselves valuable elements, and are an edge that mainstream options (Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, Twitter, Reddit, mailing lists) have over more obscure options. Google+ itself struggled with this for a long time, and even Facebook has frequently been in the news when changes to interfaces (or even just the realisation of interactions) generates widespread user confusion.
UI/UX design can go some way to alleviating this, but it's an uphill battle regardless.
Brian Holt Hawthorne yeah you're right about that because that's really what a lot of them want the ease of what Gplus had. but my point was is I'm really surprised I'm like a few of the other ones that they are really listening over there and trying to make it and doing certain things people asking you make public posts and next thing you know they're allowing public post so it's small inroads but hopefully other places will continue and realize that there's a lot of people that are extra dissing contrary to what Google says that you may not be equipped to handle unless you start making a few changes and make enticing for people... once again as I mentioned the everyday Janes and Joes
New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.
not really a whole lot when you think in terms of the whole world though is it? 🤔
ReplyDeleteThat’s a reason to escape. If after the G+ migration they only got 10.000 that’s not a platform to trust for the future. MeWe gets 10.000 per day.
ReplyDeleteSebastian Fernandez Alberdi and seems to be growing.
ReplyDeleteyes there's a little bit of porn that infiltrates but the bottom line if you got used to that shit on Google Plus well you know what to expect..if you don't want to block it just ignore it don't click on to the post unless you just crawled out from under a rock I'm sure someone seen boobs butts and a dick before lol.. the fact that they're trying to make it work like the old G+ that's a plus to mewe offers public posts groups acting like communities it's getting better.. what I like is the fact that I don't care what people say about the founder or not they took a proactive approach and they're listening and really developing the site and the app my hats are off to them..
Even on posts about other alternatives we can't escape the adverts for MeWe it seems!
ReplyDeleteMichael Warburton no Mikey no adverts.. just simple people saying what they've opted to use. it's amazing how many people have gone over there though really surprised me I didn't think there was going to be so many migrants. interesting that a bunch of communities I used to post to literally are there before Community again relaunched but the same exact theme same exact kind of posting and everything..if little pods aren't for somebody there after the open the try anything else maybe somebody will come and hear about Facebook and something else.
ReplyDeletewe all know about your opinion to me we in the owner and your biasesness doesn't really matter apparently to the masses that have opted to use it.. all I'm simply say it is for 10,000 people around the world that's a very very low number
Michael Warburton sorry for that about MeWe ;) I’m not even a member (yet). What I meant is that for me 10k is a sign of weakness and a risk for the future. I’ve 4 times more people in my current G+ communities.
ReplyDeleteRegarding the numbers, it's worth remembering Pluspora is just one pod in the Diaspora* network, and some G+ refugees have gone to other pods, or set up their own, or gone to other federated networks. All these people are still connected despite appearing to be in different places, which makes it harder to compare the numbers with a more traditional site like MeWe.
ReplyDeleteI'm enjoying the federated space much more than MeWe, but that's partly because the MeWe interface messes with my brain. The federated space gives you much more control over the UI, without having to pay (MeWe having said it'll introduce a "dark" option which would potentially make the site accessible for me - but I'd have to pay for it)
Indeed, there are many Diaspora pods, and Pluspora isn't the biggest. Add to those Friendica and Hubzilla nodes too, which all federate with each other.
ReplyDeleteFern Kali Unfortunately, diaspora like Pluspora is only accessible to people who can code. Their mobile web interface is simply unreadable for someone with aging eyes. Pluspora is a great place for young people who want to code. Until they fix the mobile UI, I am unlikely to use it much at all.
ReplyDeleteMeWe is not much better. Although their UI on iOS seems to pay some to attention dynamic text settings, their type sizes are about half what every other iOS app has for the same setting. And since it is a system wide setting, that means I can really use MeWe either.
So far, G+ is the only social media app I have found that actually supports accessibility settings on iOS.
At least the default size on MeWe and Twitter are readable with my reading glasses on, unlike Pluspora which is, well, how about an example? In the attached screenshot, the pluspora.com at the top bar is what I have my accessibility settings at. All the text should be that size. As you can see, it’s not._https://plus.google.com/photos/..._
Brian Holt Hawthorne Perhaps the problem is, in part, iOS? I use pluspora quite easily on Pixel3 (android, obviously) and I'm 65. No coding required. The Google+ app on Android has only slightly larger type (if it is, in fact, larger at all; they're that close) than the web view of pluspora. Note that I am not using anything other than Chrome to browse pluspora on mobile. If there's a "pluspora app" I am unaware of it.
ReplyDeleteScott Gomez iOS is fine. Pluspora doesn’t have a mobile app, but when you view their app on a mobile device, they serve you a mobile UI with hard coded type sizes. Google+ has a native app, and it uses the built in accessibility features in iOS to display larger text. Of course my browser ALSO uses those accessibility features, but Pluspora goes out of its way to hardcode type sizes and thereby defeat the browser’s settings.
ReplyDeleteSebastian Fernandez Alberdi What I meant is that for me 10k is a sign of weakness and a risk for the future. I’ve 4 times more people in my current G+ communities.
ReplyDeleteSo why not stand up a diaspora* or hubzilla node for your communities and give those 40000 people a way to connect with the many others on other nodes, and help give the benefit you believe exists in greater numbers to the rest of the federated nodes?
It's quite inexpensive to do, spares your communities the endless advertising required for sites like facebook, and could easily be community supported at very low cost.
Just sayin'.
Brian Holt Hawthorne now you have me wondering what would happen if I turn on accessibility functions in Android...
ReplyDeleteEdit: Just tried it. With Android, the text is enlarged on pluspora if it's set larger in accessibility.
Keep in mind:
ReplyDelete1. Pluspora's growth is fully organic.
2. Content is (largely) publicly visible. You're seeing a Pluspora post here. Contrast with other platforms in which it's necessary to join just to view content. Regardless of whether you intend to stay.
3. The highly-active core G+ userbase is somewhere between 50k - 120k users, or so. That's a statistic based on methodologies I'd developed, and was independently arrived at and verified by Stone Temple Consulting in 2015.
4. It's really not how big it is, but how you use it (and how it can be used). Diaspora / Pluspora tend to increase visibility and engagement, many other sites silo and segment it.
That said: members aren't the same as monthly actives. G+ has over 3.4 *billion* members, by profile counts, but something on the order of 3-10 million monthly actives, at least on a public posting basis -- maybe 10x that amount if you include lurkers. There are lots of ways you can take a presumptively large membership or userbase count and turn out only a very modest actual engagement rate.
Looking at one such site, I've found that the largest, general-interest discussions have fewer than 20,000 members. Contrast G+, where with about 3-10 million monthly actives, the largest communities have ... about 7 million members or so. Or Reddit, where you'll find forums of upwards of 20 million members. (Not that the conversational quality is great, but ... they exist.)
And Pluspora's members have, save 100 or so, all joined since 8 October 2018. Much as G+MM's 4,300+ members have, and where we see phenomonally higher engagement stats than are typical of most G+ communities (again: something I've measured directly).
Bryan Ruby I have no particular interest in “engagement” or “discoverability” or any of those other marketing buzzwords, although I understand that others do. Also, I believe that Edward Morbius ‘s numbers are estimates of the number of active public posters on G+, not the number of active users.
ReplyDeleteBut ultimately, none of that matters to me. I just want a place with at least a few dozen interesting people. If 10,000 candidates is enough to generate that result, then Pluspora will be fine, at least once they fix the UI. As the total number of subscribers increases, not only does the likelihood of meeting
Interesting people increase, but also the odds of running into assholes, Nazis, and people trying to sell me something. So, Pluspora could be a good middle-ground: a core of potentially interesting folks, with more available from elsewhere in the Fediverse, but not so many that I spend all day blocking people.
Finding and adding new people is much easier on MeWe, but I find myself removing or blocking a significant portion of those that others suggest to me. It feels like the wild old days of circle sharing on G+. And that’s not a good thing.
Brian Holt Hawthorne Correct in that the direct inference of my and Stone Temple's analysis as publicly-visible posting activity. But further inferences and metrics can suggest total actives: the 90/9/1 rule, follower and view counts, Google Web Search results, and analysis of Communities activity levels.
ReplyDeleteSo 3.5m monthly posters likely gives about 10x lurker population, call it 35m. GWS estimates suggest 10% or less the level of public Facebook activity.
Google's own recent (2018) announcements refer to "millions" of users. Not tens or hundreds of millios, with previous claims of up to 300-400 million floated (2014-2015).
Brian Holt Hawthorne yes but many are willing to take that good with bad.. remember how many people went on to the Google Plus help page and said please don't shut Google Plus down.. there willing to take to delete report block concept they've now gotten used to. knowing the kind of horseshit you'll probably find over there. but what's interesting or how many people did not want Google Plus to go away they were willing to if Google Plus kept going the way it is right now would be perfectly content with it..Many with a lot of people who unlike most people here are not very tech-savvy but more your everyday Janes and Joes. so the whole pods and disapora/ pluspora or friendica it's a little bit confusing to them. Many refuse to go back to Facebook because of piss-poor experiences prior. so the fact that mewe has literally reached out and is trying to make things work the way G+ did is one of the reasons so many now moving over to it it is the ease-of-use.. whether you use the app or the desktop version...that's what I find very interesting dealing with the different things that you still have to deal with IE:porn, spam, idiots, trolls but the fact that so many got used to it on G+ people are willing to deal with it too still be have the same kind of social media experience nothing radical or trying to figure out especially those that like sharing pictures and music; music especially
ReplyDeleteTrucker Kev The Paid Tourist Those folks are likely to gravitate to some place like MeWe which is much simpler to understand and use than any of the federated sites.
ReplyDeleteNothing complicated about Diaspora IMO. It's simpler than most.
ReplyDeleteMichael Warburton Perhaps for you. Just figuring out how to add someone is counterintuitive. Example: someone here on G+ posts a link to their Pluspora profile. How do I add them? If I tap on the link, it opens the page, but says I am not logged in. So, I log in, and pluspora puts me in my profile instead of leaving me on their profile so I can add them. I suspect this is yet another problem with the Pluspora/diaspora mobile web interface, but that’s all I use for social media.
ReplyDeleteOne thing I like about Pluspora is that it looks like G+ used to, and works similarly in many ways. I hear from people that it's complicated, but once I'd actually signed up and given it a go, I didn't find it any more complicated than a traditional network
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne All interfaces are learned. Familiarity and ubiquity are themselves valuable elements, and are an edge that mainstream options (Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, Twitter, Reddit, mailing lists) have over more obscure options. Google+ itself struggled with this for a long time, and even Facebook has frequently been in the news when changes to interfaces (or even just the realisation of interactions) generates widespread user confusion.
ReplyDeleteUI/UX design can go some way to alleviating this, but it's an uphill battle regardless.
Brian Holt Hawthorne yeah you're right about that because that's really what a lot of them want the ease of what Gplus had. but my point was is I'm really surprised I'm like a few of the other ones that they are really listening over there and trying to make it and doing certain things people asking you make public posts and next thing you know they're allowing public post so it's small inroads but hopefully other places will continue and realize that there's a lot of people that are extra dissing contrary to what Google says that you may not be equipped to handle unless you start making a few changes and make enticing for people... once again as I mentioned the everyday Janes and Joes
ReplyDelete