I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know what happens when you want to comment on a blog?
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know what happens when you want to comment on a blog? I've read that any g+ comments will be deleted, but how will they work commenting after the shut down? If I remember right, before g+, you just commented with your Google profile.

You didn't say, but I'm assuming you mean a Blogger blog.
ReplyDeleteIf it's your own blog, you can go into the settings and turn off commenting and sharing with G+. In Settings, go to "Posts, comments and sharing", then at the bottom of the page set "Use Google+ Comments on this blog?" to No, and disable "Share to Google+".
With any blog that has these settings, people comment using their Google ID, and comments are attached to the blog and not to G+.
Okay, perfect. That's what I thought. I don't think I have g+ commenting enabled but I'll check. And as far as other platforms go it was just my google profile. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome 😊
ReplyDeleteTessa Neill Note that if you do have G+ comments enabled on Blogger, they will be removed tomorrow, February 4, 2019.
ReplyDeletehttps://support.google.com/plus/answer/9217723
It's possible that a tool to recover those by March 7, 2019 may be developed, I'm aware that that's being worked on.
And if that doesn't apply to you , it may be useful information for others.
Okay, thanks Edward Morbius
ReplyDeleteLooks like none of my blogs had this ticked, thankfully. Even my really old blog didn't. I remember now that I thought it a bad idea.
ReplyDeleteTessa Neill There are any number of Google / Google+ integrations I am so happy I never used right now.
ReplyDeleteYou and me both
ReplyDeleteThe official Google position for G+comments on blogger is.
ReplyDelete- There is no way to archive existing comment conversations on your blog.
- You can use takeout.g+Streams.ActivityLog to archive all your G+Comments on blogger blogs. It will be mixed in with your G+comments on G+ And it's only your comments, not comments from other people on your blog.
Except that Takeout is currently completely DDOSed and simply does not work. And I have yet to see any Blogger comments in previous copies of the comments.html file I had downloaded. It's possible I've missed them but one's I specifically looked for didn't seem to be there.
So as of some time today, this data will disappear forever.
And note that there are numerous Google support blogs that used G+Comments like this one that will lose their comment stream.
https://blogger.googleblog.com/2019/01/an-update-on-google-and-blogger.html
One of the solutions that Edward Morbius mentions, is mine: gist.github.com - CLI tool for archiving the Google+ Comments frame for Blogger blogs
ReplyDeleteWhile it works already for me, I've had reports that some are having some issues with newlines. I'm trying to debug it, and will announce it properly when I feel confident it's working properly.
Do note that this is a command-line oriented tool, and thus may not be as useful for Windows users. I have yet to try it on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) and cygwin.
I originally started coding on it on my phone using Termux for Android, so it might still work on that too, though I've switched to developing it further on my macbook using macOS El Capitan.