John Lewis What do you think of Mewe's founder Mark Weinstein's pitch, err excuse me, AMA of Mewe to Reddit?
John Lewis What do you think of Mewe's founder Mark Weinstein's pitch, err excuse me, AMA of Mewe to Reddit?
The fact that everyone seems to be pointing out flaws in his philosophy, and yet he's still able to gloss over them with his glib notions of 'privacy' and '#Notforsale' slogans are, quite frankly, worrisome. It's a marketing post with no real answers.
People have been calling him out on his "copy-and-paste" marketing pitch responses in his AMA, and the lack of real answers. For the few who are enthralled, many seem uninterested. Skeptical even. He's trying to work a tough crowd on Reddit, and he's coming not convincing anyone so far.
Also note that many of the things he planned for 2018 haven't happened yet (i.e. nightmode, categories for groups, better tools for admins and mods, etc). I think Mark is selling dreams that he can't live up to.
And then there's SOLID. According to Mark:
"Additionally, as Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web, is a MeWe advisor, we expect to be the first social network to implement Tim's new "SOLID" protocol, creating an impenetrable cocoon for MeWe members and their data."
Uh-huh. I don't know how this will make Mewe better, or help make it money. It's a freemium mode, at that. So how long can Mewe truly last?
Don't get me wrong. I like Mewe for what it could be. Mewe is drab looking and has a weird interface. It's boring. I also imagine that Mewe is just an elaborate April fool's joke that'll disappear a day before G+ closes. It's stuck in an early 2000s social platforming way of thinking. The confidence isn't there, and part of the reason is Mark's constant pitching and selling his product, instead of talking like a real person.
I don't know about you, but Google + migration to Mewe is like jumping from a sinking ship to a boat with leaks.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9sq3jf/im_mark_weinstein_founderceo_of_mewe_the/
The fact that everyone seems to be pointing out flaws in his philosophy, and yet he's still able to gloss over them with his glib notions of 'privacy' and '#Notforsale' slogans are, quite frankly, worrisome. It's a marketing post with no real answers.
People have been calling him out on his "copy-and-paste" marketing pitch responses in his AMA, and the lack of real answers. For the few who are enthralled, many seem uninterested. Skeptical even. He's trying to work a tough crowd on Reddit, and he's coming not convincing anyone so far.
Also note that many of the things he planned for 2018 haven't happened yet (i.e. nightmode, categories for groups, better tools for admins and mods, etc). I think Mark is selling dreams that he can't live up to.
And then there's SOLID. According to Mark:
"Additionally, as Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the Web, is a MeWe advisor, we expect to be the first social network to implement Tim's new "SOLID" protocol, creating an impenetrable cocoon for MeWe members and their data."
Uh-huh. I don't know how this will make Mewe better, or help make it money. It's a freemium mode, at that. So how long can Mewe truly last?
Don't get me wrong. I like Mewe for what it could be. Mewe is drab looking and has a weird interface. It's boring. I also imagine that Mewe is just an elaborate April fool's joke that'll disappear a day before G+ closes. It's stuck in an early 2000s social platforming way of thinking. The confidence isn't there, and part of the reason is Mark's constant pitching and selling his product, instead of talking like a real person.
I don't know about you, but Google + migration to Mewe is like jumping from a sinking ship to a boat with leaks.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9sq3jf/im_mark_weinstein_founderceo_of_mewe_the/

You make some good points. The fact that a ton of G+ went to MeWe and that the other options are just so blah is why I went there. I'm sure not going to Facebook. But you're right, it feels like jumping from a sinking ship into a boat with leaks.
ReplyDeleteEthan Boyle I think you put it quite well. I’m also there on MeWe , and getting on with building my contacts etc, but I haven’t stopped researching or at least keeping an ear or eye open for alternatives. For when the leaks get too bad.
ReplyDeleteI'm not yet on MeWe. Probably won't. I'd like a real company. Most know companies need income. Upfront...or at least soon.
ReplyDeleteI might open an account but nothing of value will be left there without another forum somewhere.
I'm annoyed by the obtrusive permanent advertising, about which one learns nothing without registering. Just things like "We are the best".
ReplyDeleteJust like Reddit for every other post to be about 'hate speech' (because someone obviously didn't use correct gender pronouns!)...
ReplyDelete/S
ReplyDeleteWhat personally keeps me the most from even trying out MeWe, is the vocal subset of its users who tell people to join it, without including objective details as to why.
ReplyDeleteEven worse, the same subset of users will get upset when those questioning the apparent result of being a self-declared platform of free speech, point out the presence of pro-nazi posts; those MeWe-fans get upset at those pointing it out and ignore it by saying that every platform suffers from such posts, rather than getting upset at the presence of pro-nazi content and trying to rid their beloved platform of such content and users.
Aside from that, I just don't see how the platform is going to be self-sufficient; I don't see how it will balance its plans for becoming the biggest platform with making enough money. Personally I see more promise in federated platforms willing to work on a public protocol, and going for smaller servers with userbases who contribute to making the service self-sufficient both financially as in moderation.
Same here. The thing that makes sure I won’t ever join MeWe, is the behavior of the folks that promote it.
ReplyDeleteIt has the distinct vibe of a cult.
"Self-praise is no praise" or as we say in German: "Self-praise stinks"
ReplyDeleteI won't join "stinkers".
The Fediverse is one of the better solutions in my opinion, but I'm also in MeWe and I like. I miss the masonry posts style of the home stream here though. Nightmode is already there but they charge a buck to unlock it. I don't run a group myself though or am very active in one so I don't know how their moderation tools are like.
ReplyDeleteFilip H.F. Slagter to be charitable, I think many of those apparent praisings of MeWe may be people clumsily saying ‘that is where I’ve gone’, and just posting a link. They are pretty aggressive about their advertising and it shows on the link graphics that come up. I am there, so if you want to know why I will answer your questions. But I’m not going to tell you to go there. Also, I can’t address concerns about their funding model or their owners potential hidden agendas. I’m simply there to take stock, keep up with my friends who have moved there, and can only comment on the interface. And that comes down to a matter of taste, in the end. Their comments about how they addressed Apple’s concerns about why they’d been taken off the App store irritated me, so I don’t know that I’ll remain there. But for the moment, it is one of my homes. I’m also trying pluspora, and when I get a bit more of a handle on that, probably friend.ica next. Or hubzilla.
ReplyDeletetl;dr look at all the different social networks and walled gardens with a really critical eye. Put up a list or two with things you need and want out of it, and then check that list against each network.
ReplyDeleteI for one am not putting all my eggs in one basket. Google+ fit me very well in terms of content, discussions and engagement. Now, since that's going away, and there's no real alternative, it's going to be a long road of evaluating where I'd like to spend my time in the future.
I've started to go the selfhosted WP route as my new home for my posts, and will use that as my core for content I make myself.
What I do from here is to try and figure out how to let others become aware of it, because WP discoverability is atrocious; it can never hold its own without tying it into more outreach networks.
But from now on, I'll at least own my content, and not handing it off to someone else.
Gary Gregory Interesting, but no surprise. The CEO isn't going to make any mistakes or go off script.
ReplyDeleteMETAL METAL There are plugins so people can see your WP posts on the Fediverse too using Activity Pub, if I'm remembering correctly.
ReplyDeleteJoshuá Tavárez What do you mean, I can upload my articles to the Fediverse? How does it work?
ReplyDeleteGary Gregory
ReplyDeletehttps://wordpress.org/plugins/activitypub/
After installing people can look up "@ WordPressUserName@YourSiteName.Whatever" and see your posts on the Fediverse. It'll only show new posts after it's been installed though.
Joshuá Tavárez thank you
ReplyDelete