❨❨❨David C. Frier❩❩❩ fair gripes, will respond at length later.
Short answer for now is that once you have your data exported, converting and importing it is fairly straightforward, though a matter of making or finding suitable tools. I've been swamped with other stuff so far. But you can do that at any future time. Thre's no current rush.
I'm also not sure how tech-savvy you are.
Filip H.F. Slagter, Michael K Johnson, Bernhard Suter, Julian Bond, and I have all done this at some point, the others all recently. Code exists, as do sample sites. Several have been posted. Suter has an excellent 7-part blog series on his process.
Generally, a mix of shell and scripting tools should give useful results.
jq is a JSON query tool which can extract content from the archive.
Any scripting or text manipulation language can process that: sed, awk, perl, python, ruby, go, etc.
Pandoc can create various further formats, including HTML and Markdown.
Static site generators or import engines (see, e.g., Wordpress), can generate or feed a new/destination website. Jekyll, Pelican, Hugo, etc.
Edward Morbius that's a good point about the lack of time pressure. I'm rather tech-savvy indeed but that doesn't mean I want to learn a new programming language at this stage of my career. See my LinkedIn for what I mean by that.
Anyway, scripting is easy enough and if Jekyll does what it says on the tin, I will be fine.
New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.
Jeckyll?
ReplyDeleteLooking into this
ReplyDelete❨❨❨David C. Frier❩❩❩ fair gripes, will respond at length later.
ReplyDeleteShort answer for now is that once you have your data exported, converting and importing it is fairly straightforward, though a matter of making or finding suitable tools. I've been swamped with other stuff so far. But you can do that at any future time. Thre's no current rush.
I'm also not sure how tech-savvy you are.
Filip H.F. Slagter, Michael K Johnson, Bernhard Suter, Julian Bond, and I have all done this at some point, the others all recently. Code exists, as do sample sites. Several have been posted. Suter has an excellent 7-part blog series on his process.
Generally, a mix of shell and scripting tools should give useful results.
jq is a JSON query tool which can extract content from the archive.
Any scripting or text manipulation language can process that: sed, awk, perl, python, ruby, go, etc.
Pandoc can create various further formats, including HTML and Markdown.
Static site generators or import engines (see, e.g., Wordpress), can generate or feed a new/destination website. Jekyll, Pelican, Hugo, etc.
That's the basic outline.
Francois Demeyer Please don't post or comment with memes, thanks. We'd appreciate your removing your comment.
ReplyDeleteEdward Morbius that's a good point about the lack of time pressure. I'm rather tech-savvy indeed but that doesn't mean I want to learn a new programming language at this stage of my career. See my LinkedIn for what I mean by that.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, scripting is easy enough and if Jekyll does what it says on the tin, I will be fine.