Skip to main content

GSuite G+ Pro Tip #6: The +Mention system is currently a mess, as oldConsumer accounts haven't entirely been...


GSuite G+ Pro Tip #6: The +Mention system is currently a mess, as old Consumer accounts haven't entirely been removed yet. To help people +Mention you right, find your User ID Number (the string of numbers in the URL of your Google+ Profile Page when visited from a browser), put a + sign before that, and put it in your Profile Tagline. That way, another user can grab it from your Profile Page or Hovercard and easily use it. See below for example.

Taglines are planned for removal, so this is a temporary way to help each other out, but hopefully by then the +Mention system will have been fixed.

Comments

  1. Great tip! Thanks Eli Fennell

    On another note, I've been using the Android app, and can't figure out how to use the web app from my phone. I open Chrome and try, but it brings me to the Android app.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark Barrus Go into your App Settings, Advanced, and clear the Defaults that open links to Google+ in the app.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And/or start at plus.google.com in the browser.

    Eli's to works for any so that you've set to open by default (including for any pattern of URL).

    And you can still choose to use a mix of the app and web by not saying "Always" when you use it the first time.

    Personally, I prefer the app, and I've got used to dismissing the warning - so much that I barely even register it any more.

    But please do remember to Send Feedback about it Mark Barrus Mindey Monika Schmidt

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's worth noting that the 21 digit number is your Google ID. My understanding is that it can also be used by other products.

    I haven't tried it, but I believe it could be used to start / send and invitation to a Hangout with somebody whose email address you don't know, for instance.

    BTW, for those of us with custom URLs, pasting that into a browser now resolves to the 21 digit version .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie Wills my custom URL went away with my consumer G+ account. Ah well, at least I have the luxury of also having a GSuite profile. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Added my +NUMBER to my tagline, thanks Eli Fennell . :)
    I wish I could have transferred my custom URL too... oh well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas Slider Yeah, me too. But this is better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"