Skip to main content

Some observations I posted today about some alternatives I'm busy actively testing - I'm a heavy G+ Collections...


Some observations I posted today about some alternatives I'm busy actively testing - I'm a heavy G+ Collections poster so it is this type of functionality I'm seeking to allow followers to tune into a specific topic I post on vs just profile posts.

Originally shared by Danie van der Merwe

My observations on alternatives to G+ that I'm testing and especially MeWe Groups

It's been about two weeks now (I think) since the announcement about G+ shutting down by August 2019 and I've been testing out MeWe, Minds, Friendica, Diaspora (Pluspora) and Hubzilla quite actively. It's a pity I did not record the exact follower numbers as I did have Diaspora, Friendica and Hubzilla accounts open with some followers but Minds and MeWe were brand new so those are good indicators from a clean slate. I post the same content so there is no difference on that front except that for MeWe, Minds and Diaspora I have to repost manually which is a bit of a pain and I'll mention why below.

MeWe
- Groups are the big advantage here that accurately replicate my G+ Collections - My Tech & Gadgets group has 338 followers, Green Tech 82 followers, Open Source 202 followers. My Gaming group is way lower than on G+.
- Groups appear in a central searchable directory so this probably explains how people find my Groups to follow. The directory only shows Groups that are actively posting.
- My Profile has 131 followers from zero.
- No public posts means I can't expose my posts to other networks or RSS feeds so it is only contained within MeWe (really waiting for this to change).
- No 3rd party posting or pulling in my feed from elsewhere so all manual.
- There are 4 views you need to look at to see all activity and I hope MeWe will allow us to have one stream like G+ has where you opt to have posts show there are not.
- MeWe is definitely the closest to how I use G+ with Collections.
- Probably getting the most likes and interactions from followers on MeWe vs others.

Minds
- No Groups so just one profile feed - also no formatting of text like bolding.
- Profile has 62 subscribers with 920 views.
- Minds has a nice filtering system on notifications.
- I have 6.92 tokens from my posts that appear to be able to be used for services or boosts on Minds itself (you can't withdraw it).
- Posts can be followed publicly or reshared to outside of Minds.

Disapora
- Same as Pluspora but a different pod in the Fediverse.
- So this means that people using Pluspora, Hubzilla or Friendica can follow me here from wherever they are without joining or logging into the Diaspora pod.
- I'm on 67 followers here (had about 50 before) and quite a few new followers are from Pluspora.
- Posts can be followed publicly or reshared to outside of Disapora.
- Aspects here are more like G+ Circles and really determine what Profiles I see, or who has visibility of my posts (per Profile in the aspect). So no not like Collections where the follower decides what to follow.
- It can auto push posts to Twitter and Tumblr but I can't import my feed to auto post in Diaspora.
- Has basic Markdown formatting of posts.

Friendica
- I have 152 contacts BUT I could add Twitter friends so that I can view their Twitter posts in my Friendica feed (and Like and comment on them). I've seen some growth here but mostly some Pluspora users who found me here.
- Posts can be followed publicly or reshared to outside of Friendica.
- Also in the Fediverse so this means that people using Pluspora, Hubzilla, Mastodon or Diaspora can follow me here from wherever they are.
- Some nice sort order options to view your stream.
- More detailed formatting of posts including underlining.
- Has most social network interconnectivity out of all options - can auto repost to Blogger, Buffer, Libertree, Pump.io, GnuSocial, Tumblr, Twitter, and WordPress.
- Can mirror (auto post) from G+, Twitter, Pump.io, GnuSocial, and IFTTT into Friendica.
- You can follow Profiles by Group but their is no equivalent of G+ Collections - followers follow all or nothing.

Hubzilla
- 35 Profile followers which is my quietest network as this is also a local SA pod which is quite quiet.
- Posts can be followed publicly or reshared to outside of Hubzilla.
- You can follow Profiles by Group but their is no equivalent of G+ Collections - followers follow all or nothing.
- It also interacts with GnuSocial, Diaspora and the Fediverse including Mastodon (follow, be followed, comment, like).
- It can push (auto repost) to Twitter as well as to another Hubzilla account that you manage elsewhere, and to Friendica.
- Can set delayed datre/time for post to publish.
- I have my Hubzilla account auto posting from my external RSS feed.
- You can follow Profiles by Group but there is no equivalent of G+ Collections - followers follow all or nothing.

See my MeWe Tech & Gadgets Group at https://mewe.com/join/tech__gadgets

Comments

  1. José Pedro Paula OK thanks I will have a look as I just have the one channel - I run about 8 or 9 groups so would be interesting to see how seamlessly 8 or 9 channels could be managed and whether they could each import a feed (I suspect so as Hubzilla is pretty feature rich).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you referring to pages on MeWe as an collections alternative? Danie van der Merwe

    ReplyDelete
  3. José Pedro Paula Sorry i meant Danie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donald Schaefer no Groups - you can set a group that only you as the owner can post but allow anyone to comment, or even no-one to comment. You can also let anyone post but then it is like a G+ Community. So they are really flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danie van der Merwe joined your MeWe just now, good job 👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"