Skip to main content

A quick tip for those of you intending to do a backup of your G+ postings (or a transfer to some other media which...

A quick tip for those of you intending to do a backup of your G+ postings (or a transfer to some other media which offers such an option).

If you have private postings (perhaps with contact details you passed on to only selected individuals) that you wish to be certain are not preserved in the transfer, then entering the following into the G+ Search bar may help you find and remove them before the backup/transfer.

Shared privately
Shared only with you

The '"shared privately" keywords should narrow the results to the extent you can find your private postings (hopefully they're outdated anyway), and delete them....

Hope this helps. :)

Comments

  1. I haven't looked at the HTML output¹, but if you export your posts in JSON format, the visibility of the post is stored, too:

    "postAcl": {
    "visibleToStandardAcl": {
    "circles": [{
    "type": "CIRCLE_TYPE_PUBLIC"
    }]
    }

    AFAICS, this information includes circles as well as specific persons according to how it was originally shared.

    If one can't do it themselves, I'm quite certain, someone will make a script to convert these into whatever other platforms need including filtering out privately shared stuff.

    ¹ I suspect, the information is in there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. George Vorillas
    Thank you very much for this required information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vinzent Höfler serious question: what good is JSON? It's not something that is usable to a regular person, and there is no where to import it to that would make sense of it.

    I did a Google Takeout a few years ago to see what I'd get. For me, it was worthless because it was mostly JSON.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert Le Blah It's structured, so for me it's more easily convertible into any other format I want it to be (including HTML).

    Admittedly, I'm biased, my daily business is software, so storing stuff in a database or converting between different formats is something I'm doing quite often. There, HTML is seldom a proper choice (not saying that JSON is, but given the choice between the two, I'd prefer something structured...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vinzent Höfler What tools could a person use to view a JSON array and select by structural element? (serious question - it may be something I'd like to do myself).

    Preferably something you know to be cross-platform and open source, for obvious reasons - not everyone is on Windows any more.
    If you only know one application, that's fine, at least it gives people a name to search with for equivalents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JSON could be useful in case someone makes a platform similar to G+.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"