An update to the sister community I created, "The Beginning is Near"
Of possible interest here.
Originally shared by Edward Morbius
Status & Plans: The Beginning is Near community
When I launched this forum on G+ 11 days ago, it wasn't clear exactly where it would go or how it would fit in with other efforts. And other communities are going through a similar evolution.
The Google+ Mass Migration (G+MM) community seems to be the largest on G+ presently and is serving as the flagship for related efforts. I've known John Lewis over the years here, and volunteered when he'd asked for moderators. We've got a good team, and despite the usual bumps and scratches, I'm relatively satisfied with how that is developing. We are discussing future plans and changes there, though nothing terribly radical.
The Beginning is Near (TBiN) is much smaller, 61 members vs. 2400 or so, but that's also useful -- it makes for a quieter and more focused space. And part of the discussion at G+MM is about how to find signal in the noise.
I'm planning on continuing both fora and participating in both for the time being. Demands here are light, demands there are manageable. The other pies my fingers are in are an active Diaspora community (in a non-technically-supported though strong social sense), #PlexodusWiki (which just underwent its first big spam/abuse attack, now resolved), and as of yesterday, a Reddit forum, /r/Plexodus, a/k/a #RPlexodus which is intended as another off-G+ rallying and information spot. Potentially of use if G+MM becomes too unmanageable as Reddit's general forum, moderation, and documentation (Wiki!) features are far superior to G+'s.
https://social.antefriguserat.de #PlexodusWiki
https://reddit.com/r/plexodus #RPlexodus
Though Reddit offers a wiki capability, it's relatively simple, and my plan is to keep that aimed at mostly Reddit-specific issues -- about the subreddit itself, its organisation and rationale, policies, etc. Information concerning the G+ Exodus generally will remain the focus of #PlexodusWiki rather than the subreddit's.
I've been meaning to start reaching out to other G+ Community admins and may look to bring discussions involving them to TBiN, or possibly a new Community focused on Community migration issues. To be determined.
I'm also going to start reaching to to my circles and those I've followed with strongest interest about this, though I suspect most of my active followers would already be aware.
And as you've likely noticed if you're following the Community, I'm curating material here both that I've submitted to G+MM and highlight posts from others of particular interest. I'm hoping those are proving interesting.
So that's the current status and plan for now. Feedback welcomed.
https://reddit.com/r/plexodus
Of possible interest here.
Originally shared by Edward Morbius
Status & Plans: The Beginning is Near community
When I launched this forum on G+ 11 days ago, it wasn't clear exactly where it would go or how it would fit in with other efforts. And other communities are going through a similar evolution.
The Google+ Mass Migration (G+MM) community seems to be the largest on G+ presently and is serving as the flagship for related efforts. I've known John Lewis over the years here, and volunteered when he'd asked for moderators. We've got a good team, and despite the usual bumps and scratches, I'm relatively satisfied with how that is developing. We are discussing future plans and changes there, though nothing terribly radical.
The Beginning is Near (TBiN) is much smaller, 61 members vs. 2400 or so, but that's also useful -- it makes for a quieter and more focused space. And part of the discussion at G+MM is about how to find signal in the noise.
I'm planning on continuing both fora and participating in both for the time being. Demands here are light, demands there are manageable. The other pies my fingers are in are an active Diaspora community (in a non-technically-supported though strong social sense), #PlexodusWiki (which just underwent its first big spam/abuse attack, now resolved), and as of yesterday, a Reddit forum, /r/Plexodus, a/k/a #RPlexodus which is intended as another off-G+ rallying and information spot. Potentially of use if G+MM becomes too unmanageable as Reddit's general forum, moderation, and documentation (Wiki!) features are far superior to G+'s.
https://social.antefriguserat.de #PlexodusWiki
https://reddit.com/r/plexodus #RPlexodus
Though Reddit offers a wiki capability, it's relatively simple, and my plan is to keep that aimed at mostly Reddit-specific issues -- about the subreddit itself, its organisation and rationale, policies, etc. Information concerning the G+ Exodus generally will remain the focus of #PlexodusWiki rather than the subreddit's.
I've been meaning to start reaching out to other G+ Community admins and may look to bring discussions involving them to TBiN, or possibly a new Community focused on Community migration issues. To be determined.
I'm also going to start reaching to to my circles and those I've followed with strongest interest about this, though I suspect most of my active followers would already be aware.
And as you've likely noticed if you're following the Community, I'm curating material here both that I've submitted to G+MM and highlight posts from others of particular interest. I'm hoping those are proving interesting.
So that's the current status and plan for now. Feedback welcomed.
https://reddit.com/r/plexodus

Comments
Post a Comment
New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.