As someone who isn't tech savy, does anyone know how to check my data and make sure it hasn't been breached (if such...
As someone who isn't tech savy, does anyone know how to check my data and make sure it hasn't been breached (if such a thing is possible) and how do I best leave G+ without my information being breached?

500k probably isn't as major as a breach like that could be, as G+ accounts were originally assigned to everyone on Youtube in 2013 from what I remember.
ReplyDeleteAnd sorry, no I don't know yet. But haveibeenpwned.com - Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach helps. Seeing as Google claims that emails were among some of the data stolen.
ReplyDeleteThe data was exposed, not breached, huge difference. The log files were only kept 2 weeks, as far as Google knows, the door was unlocked but no one used it.
ReplyDeleteAccording to Google, none was breached. Internal programmers discovered a bug that's been there for two years that would have allowed unauthorized access. But, nobody outside of Google has become aware of it or used it. I tend to believe Google on stuff like this so I think we're safe.
ReplyDeleteMark Stronge from what I understood google plus was exposing through the API information that was marked as private. Still I believe it required you to give permission to access your account to some malicious app, and Google can't even tell if the data has been accessed or not
ReplyDeleteMark Stronge Pretty big time window and pretty big "prize" for doxxers for someone not to have breached it. Anyways, Google kept this secret for too long, and have done stupid things before. I don't entirely trust what they say these days, too many mistakes they've made.
ReplyDeleteMark Stronge as far as they could tell from the 2 weeks worth of logs, that is...
ReplyDeleteDid you even see what info was shared? It was stuff you could add to your profile pages, gender, etc, really Google+ is so dead that no one noticed it
ReplyDeleteFilip H.F. Slagter Yeah, I find it extremely hard to believe nobody would've accessed and copied the logs. Doxxers are desperate to cause any drama they can.
ReplyDeleteMark Stronge Eh, someone bothered to update the spambots to get past Google's poor spam filter and require manual moderation. As a moderator of a community for some time, there used to not be as many appearing. It's not unlikely someone grabbed the info when they could, however worthless it may have been.
ReplyDeleteAccording to Google, there's no evidence any developer took advantage of the security hole during the 2 weeks it was open. We may learn more later.
ReplyDeleteGoogle attempted to conceal this whole thing. Don't believe them when they say nothing was stolen.
ReplyDelete