The problem is how to pay for it. Yeah, I would say "Hey, I can program a Drupal site that does everything Google+ does and you'd love it" but I wouldn't know the first thing about how to pay for such a site and how to admin it (well, actually that part I know.)
The point isn't that these don't exist, it's just that people wanted public posts, in a single place. That's how you found other people, that's how these social sites became popular. All that weird stuff you love, it's there... if you can find it.
William Johnston, Yeah, I'd forgotten it's still invite-only. Nevertheless, it's a promising platform that may be more open by the time G+ shuts down, although I don't recommend it as an alternative for all users or use-cases.
New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.
Everyone?
ReplyDeleteThe problem is how to pay for it. Yeah, I would say "Hey, I can program a Drupal site that does everything Google+ does and you'd love it" but I wouldn't know the first thing about how to pay for such a site and how to admin it (well, actually that part I know.)
The point isn't that these don't exist, it's just that people wanted public posts, in a single place. That's how you found other people, that's how these social sites became popular. All that weird stuff you love, it's there... if you can find it.
Can you clarify?
ReplyDeleteCuan Knaggs Ah yes, Reddit. The online equivalent of Monty Python's Argument and Abuse Clinic. 😋
ReplyDeletePeter Maranci It's actually a lot closer to UseNet
ReplyDeleteWIth a forum, could set up a donation thing, to keep it up Shrug also Murray J Brown Tildes is useless unless you have a code.
ReplyDeleteWilliam Johnston, Yeah, I'd forgotten it's still invite-only. Nevertheless, it's a promising platform that may be more open by the time G+ shuts down, although I don't recommend it as an alternative for all users or use-cases.
ReplyDeleteMurray J Brown It's a non-starter if you need an invite.
ReplyDelete