Jeremy Seifert Features, exactly. Its been about a decade, and I still can't easily manage my circles. I want a feature to let me select circles on a left pane, select other circles on right pane, then drag names between them. I'd pay for that development work.
Furthermore: G+ is only closing on the consumer side. If you want to pay money for it, you can sign up for G-Suite as a business client and retain access to it.
Without the other people, though, I don't know how valuable it'll be.
Lots of the people in our group are kids and kids who need commissions just to get money for a bus ride to work. Most of the oc community would be kicked out
Sure... I'll pay a trillionaire greedy corporation to keep a ghost town social media that no one gives a dime about - with security issues. Good idea! :-D
Google is closing Google Plus because of a security issue which was patched in March but it would be impossible to maintain it but they are making google+ commercial for corporate through Google suite but at the same time, they failed to attract engagement. Yeah! Very clear explanation!
Martha Magenta I have a legacy free domain from before they started charging. I can upgrade it to a full G Suite Basic account for $50/year per user. That would give me more storage space and access to all the latest G Suite tools. I keep meaning to do it. My other G Suite accounts/domains are through non-profit organizations (also free).
John Lewis That $50/year is the basic corporate rate for G Suite. G Suite Business is double that. On the other hand, if you have a 501(c)3 you can get a free G Suite account with unlimited users.
Isabella LeCour Setting up the 501(c)3 takes some paperwork. After that, you just need to do an electronic filing (990-N) with the IRS annually, plus some state paperwork. I wouldn’t suggest doing it yourself. But, find an existing local arts/poetry 501(c)3 and get them to setup a free G Suite for Non-profits account for local poets.
Terry Walker I just dropped a long text-bomb on one of Alan Cox's threads explaining what's wrong with various funding mechanisms.
For a limited-appeal network this might work, and Metafilter is a very high-quality example of what can be done by charging a very modest fee (though that doesn't cover full provisioning costs AFAIU, it's mostly an anti-abuse measure). But Metafilter is tiny and limited, despite exceptionally high quality and S/N ratio, something I've assessed by a few different means.
New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.
Depending on the subscription model, it could be interesting.
ReplyDeleteIt could work if you made it an instance like they want for a business and it be paid for by subscription, based on their proposed business model.
ReplyDeleteI don't think everyone is willing/able to make this statement, Terry Walker.
ReplyDeleteI think the future of social media might need to include a subscription option. I know that if it had the features I wanted, I'd pay...
ReplyDeleteJeremy Seifert Features, exactly. Its been about a decade, and I still can't easily manage my circles. I want a feature to let me select circles on a left pane, select other circles on right pane, then drag names between them. I'd pay for that development work.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely pay to keep it going. I think Google is losing out on a potential money maker here.
ReplyDeleteWe already pay by giving them our data.
ReplyDeleteDon't you think they make money with them ?
Furthermore: G+ is only closing on the consumer side. If you want to pay money for it, you can sign up for G-Suite as a business client and retain access to it.
ReplyDeleteWithout the other people, though, I don't know how valuable it'll be.
Lots of the people in our group are kids and kids who need commissions just to get money for a bus ride to work.
ReplyDeleteMost of the oc community would be kicked out
Google don't even pay a proper amount of taxes, not a moral amount. They don't deserve our money.
ReplyDeletePeter Bauck And we don’t know of cross-enterprise posting will be retained. (I’m already a G Suite customer and administrator for multiple domains).
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne do you pay for G suite? How much?
ReplyDeleteExactly.
ReplyDeleteAt this point, it only makes sense to continue to use G+ as an intra-enterprise platform (like Yammer).
Sure... I'll pay a trillionaire greedy corporation to keep a ghost town social media that no one gives a dime about - with security issues. Good idea! :-D
ReplyDeleteGoogle is closing Google Plus because of a security issue which was patched in March but it would be impossible to maintain it but they are making google+ commercial for corporate through Google suite but at the same time, they failed to attract engagement.
ReplyDeleteYeah!
Very clear explanation!
Martha Magenta I have a legacy free domain from before they started charging. I can upgrade it to a full G Suite Basic account for $50/year per user. That would give me more storage space and access to all the latest G Suite tools. I keep meaning to do it. My other G Suite accounts/domains are through non-profit organizations (also free).
ReplyDeletePeter Bauck And hope they will continue to support cross-enterprise posts.
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne Sounds good if you have a business, but if you are say a poet like me, no money, not so good.
ReplyDeleteBest case would be to create a "company" and get a group rate for the corporation... which would hopefully be less than the $50 a year.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe some people are ready to award them for their total screw up.
ReplyDeleteJohn Lewis constructive idea for like minded groups of groups
ReplyDeleteCan you hear the sound of heads rolling?
ReplyDeleteJohn Lewis That $50/year is the basic corporate rate for G Suite. G Suite Business is double that. On the other hand, if you have a 501(c)3 you can get a free G Suite account with unlimited users.
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne So... I just need to start a 501(c)3 and call it "Old Google Plus Users Retirement Home"? And then invite everyone?
ReplyDeleteIsabella LeCour yes it is!
ReplyDeleteIsabella LeCour Setting up the 501(c)3 takes some paperwork. After that, you just need to do an electronic filing (990-N) with the IRS annually, plus some state paperwork. I wouldn’t suggest doing it yourself. But, find an existing local arts/poetry 501(c)3 and get them to setup a free G Suite for Non-profits account for local poets.
ReplyDeleteJohn Lewis Well there’s a bit more than “just” to starting a 501(c)3, but yes. Also, you will have to administer all those user accounts.
ReplyDeleteBrian Holt Hawthorne I'd need help with the admin part... lol
ReplyDeleteTerry Walker I just dropped a long text-bomb on one of Alan Cox's threads explaining what's wrong with various funding mechanisms.
ReplyDeleteFor a limited-appeal network this might work, and Metafilter is a very high-quality example of what can be done by charging a very modest fee (though that doesn't cover full provisioning costs AFAIU, it's mostly an anti-abuse measure). But Metafilter is tiny and limited, despite exceptionally high quality and S/N ratio, something I've assessed by a few different means.