One thing that right away comes to mind (because I had made this feature request long ago to G+) was to be able to turn on post notifications for a post without having to comment on it first. And on MeWe we are able to do just that. Also, for groups/communities, it has a built in group chat for all of the members so they can easily communicate with the owner/admins and other members. LOVE THAT. Does Twitter have either? NOPE. The only thing that I see that are alike is the hashtag aspect.
Gary Brookes While I completely agree that MeWe is about as far from twitter as one can get, it certainly doesn’t do everything G+ does.
1. You must have a MeWe account to read posts. Even the new “public” posts will be public on MeWe and it accessible without an account. 2. There is no way to get a link to a MeWe post that you can share elsewhere. You are limited to linking to your profile or linking to a search. 3. No way of categorizing your contacts. 4. No way of categorizing your posts. I take it back. It is possible to create an Open Group an have default permissions for new members be comment only. That works like a collection.
Gary Brookes I never said anything was a carbon copy of anything. Get your references right. That was ThinkiK who said something about carbon copies. Your attitude is pissing me off. You seem just a bit hostile about those with whom you find disagreement.
Go look at the desktop version of MeWe and then go to the desktop version of Twitter. Even the home icons are both bird houses, the layout is identical.
Just because one has 'groups' and the other doesn't, doesn't mean that the layout of the thing isn't a clone of twitter. It's a standard single-column layout with almost identical placings of user avatar, notifications, categories, etc.
ThantiK and? Your point? This is a good thing, that the layouts are similar, but not the same nor a "carbon copy." That's why it's so easy for G+er's to use it because it feels familiar.
ThantiK Maybe that's why I'm not fond of the interface. I'm on Twitter ...sort of ...visit as a fly-by "Yep, it's still there" about once every two months and remote post to it when I blog something. But I hate the interface. Just a not. I don't like FB for the same reason. Skinny, narrow column.
ThantiK That's an excellent point. It's really driving me crazy how so many G+ users are falling in love with one or another alternative (okay, mostly MeWe - but others, too) and getting almost scary in their new-found devotion. In fact...yes, this is what it feels like: youtube.com - SCTV - Zontar with Bonar Bain and Natalie Cole Episode
Olivier Malinur oversimplified, there was/is a group for Norwegians here which is given a rebirth at MeWe by the same guys who were admins at G+. Catching up members and content and people seems to be happy. The announcements of feature possibilities on MeWe will be a good fit for the G+ refugees
New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.
I'm not very impressed with it. Pluspora is more my cuppa.
ReplyDeleteDL Keur I'll check Pluspora out. Thanks
ReplyDeleteMeWe just a 1:1 carbon copy of twitter, I'm not sure how everyone's so enamored with it.
ReplyDeleteCarbon copy of Twitter? Lol no.
ReplyDeleteThantiK You can have quite a few complaints about MeWe, but a "carbon copy of Twitter"? That it definitively ain't.
ReplyDeleteLet's make it simpler: you are American, go to Mewe. Else, try something else.
ReplyDeleteOne thing that right away comes to mind (because I had made this feature request long ago to G+) was to be able to turn on post notifications for a post without having to comment on it first. And on MeWe we are able to do just that. Also, for groups/communities, it has a built in group chat for all of the members so they can easily communicate with the owner/admins and other members. LOVE THAT. Does Twitter have either? NOPE. The only thing that I see that are alike is the hashtag aspect.
ReplyDeleteGary Brookes While I completely agree that MeWe is about as far from twitter as one can get, it certainly doesn’t do everything G+ does.
ReplyDelete1. You must have a MeWe account to read posts. Even the new “public” posts will be public on MeWe and it accessible without an account.
2. There is no way to get a link to a MeWe post that you can share elsewhere. You are limited to linking to your profile or linking to a search.
3. No way of categorizing your contacts.
4. No way of categorizing your posts. I take it back. It is possible to create an Open Group an have default permissions for new members be comment only. That works like a collection.
Gary Brookes I never said anything was a carbon copy of anything. Get your references right. That was ThinkiK who said something about carbon copies. Your attitude is pissing me off. You seem just a bit hostile about those with whom you find disagreement.
ReplyDeleteGo look at the desktop version of MeWe and then go to the desktop version of Twitter. Even the home icons are both bird houses, the layout is identical.
ReplyDeleteJust because one has 'groups' and the other doesn't, doesn't mean that the layout of the thing isn't a clone of twitter. It's a standard single-column layout with almost identical placings of user avatar, notifications, categories, etc.
ThantiK and? Your point? This is a good thing, that the layouts are similar, but not the same nor a "carbon copy." That's why it's so easy for G+er's to use it because it feels familiar.
ReplyDeleteWhat we have here is a gigantic case of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
ReplyDeleteYou've chosen it, so you refuse to see any of its flaws - you'll defend it no matter what I say.
ThantiK Maybe that's why I'm not fond of the interface. I'm on Twitter ...sort of ...visit as a fly-by "Yep, it's still there" about once every two months and remote post to it when I blog something. But I hate the interface. Just a not. I don't like FB for the same reason. Skinny, narrow column.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy it over there as well.
ReplyDeleteThantiK That's an excellent point. It's really driving me crazy how so many G+ users are falling in love with one or another alternative (okay, mostly MeWe - but others, too) and getting almost scary in their new-found devotion. In fact...yes, this is what it feels like:
ReplyDeleteyoutube.com - SCTV - Zontar with Bonar Bain and Natalie Cole Episode
They've disabled the public stream on here. Very irritating, so I hope that MeWe will create one.
ReplyDeleteOlivier Malinur So far, I have found MeWe to be fairly populated by Australians, British and French and we're doing ok on there.
ReplyDeleteMost French on Google+ have moved to Framasphere.
ReplyDeleteOlivier Malinur Most, perhaps, but there are quite a few on MeWe
ReplyDeleteThantiK You may have made the same mistake I did - there are both chats and groups.
ReplyDeleteOlivier Malinur oversimplified, there was/is a group for Norwegians here which is given a rebirth at MeWe by the same guys who were admins at G+. Catching up members and content and people seems to be happy. The announcements of feature possibilities on MeWe will be a good fit for the G+ refugees
ReplyDelete