Skip to main content

I see two major benefits for Google waiting to close in summer.

I see two major benefits for Google waiting to close in summer. One is that it gives Google time to rethink and maybe change their minds about closing Plus. Another is that we have plenty of time to find a good replacement site or, if there are coders amongst us, create our own site based on Google Plus.

Comments

  1. The Classic G+ would be great and perfect!😎

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda Rebel Angel It's still under construction. Many features doesn't work properly at MeWe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George Pendarbes Well at least we got a spot...I will be on G+ till the end of days...They should find a way to transport our G+ friends to there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The people hoping for a G+ resurrection are apparently not old enough to remember Google Reader, iGoogle, Google Talk, Google Labs, Google Wave or a plethora of other products that we the Googlephiles fought to save only to see it still go away.
    The best we can hope for is that they release an alternative. But G+ is dead, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt Moore I am. :( And you are correct. When Google decides to shut a service down, it follows through.

    Heck I came here during the Beta days looking for an alternative to LiveJournal, which had been taken over by the Russians. Over time, most of my old LJ friends jumped ship, but I've found an entire new community of friends, and we're working on how to stay in touch.

    Something else will come along. Meanwhile, I'm collecting email addresses, Twitter handles and Facebook (yeah, I know) links in hopes of not losing touch with some of the people I've met here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though the chances may be low of Google changing its mind, there is still plenty of time to either find a replacement or create one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best we could hope for is they open source it and start a Foundation or transfer it to an existing foundation like Mozilla. The complicating thing will be to extract all of the Google services from the code and make it standalone. It took Microsoft a while to extract Internet Explorer and the Office spell checker from Live Writer before it became an open source project. It would be optimistic at best for Google to take out all of the connectors to their services and get volunteers to write replacements in less than 10 months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying to decide between MeWe and Minds, Minds so far looks better and feels more comfortable using for me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uzy I actually tried out minds for the night. It started out great actually. But the boosted post was really bugging me.. you HAVE to see whatever sponsored content they are pushing at you.
    So I looked at solutions.

    Solution one. Block the pages that truly annoy you (for me its extreme right posts). Nope, can'd block groups that post them, no go.

    Solution two: pay 20 tokens (about 3 dollars) to take boosted posts off. Set up my blockchain, bought my tokens.. the transaction won't go through. I went through all the trouble to buy cryptocurrency and the freakin' transaction won't go through.

    Solution #3: Plan for the future. I went into the help forums and asked if there was any chance there could be some more control of our feed.. Just the ability to block some, mostly sponsored, content. My post was deleted with no reply.

    Minds looks good on paper, but it definitely is not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Matt Moore Guess I'm just gonna get a life then

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matt Moore that's in line with a lot of what I've heard about Minds, which is why I haven't even gone as far as creating an account there. It seems like the perfect vehicle for extremists of any kind to boost their content.
    Some people have reported good things about it, but none of them seem to have been on it for long. Time will tell, but the early signs don't look so good to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"