Skip to main content

Minds.com

Minds.com

Just as a FYI, I'm not usually the type to block people, but I've never had to block more people/posts than I have on Minds. That boost feature is one of the worst things I've seen in any social network. It's beyond annoying and far worse than any inline ads you may see in facebook or twitter (since those are probably at least held to a specific quality).

Comments

  1. I'm still mulling where to migrate. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wara zashi you can get rid of all boosted content by subscribing to minds plus. Since minds pays you for creating content, you'll be able to earn those 20 tokens / month necessary for a plus subscription by simply posting good content. At least that's the case now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hyperion it boosts your content to other channels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I've heard of Minds, back when Google+ was kicking off for us and was in it's prime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oliver Zimmermann Oh, so like advertisements?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find its Group implementation to be quite puzzling. The posts don't show up in the TL, but the notifications get flooded every time someone posts something there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll add to your rant - after I blocked someone and still saw their content, I posted to "Help and Support". At first, the replies I received were helpful and open to my feedback....then arrived the troll who proceeded to crosspost to his wall advising his buddies of my "snowflake" status. I have posted on a few different posts and it seems as soon as they figure out that I'm liberal (not difficult to find), the trolls come out in full force to throw insults at me.

    At least on G+ there were threads that I could jump into if I felt like watching this sort of thing....not to mention that there seemed to be a fairly good balance of left and right.

    Anyway....my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauchlin MacGregor Hate to tell you, they'll find you on any platform. I understand the frustration. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauchlin MacGregor that's indeed a problem. All the more reason for liberals to join, to establish a balance 😁

    ReplyDelete
  10. William Johnston the trolling isn't as much the problem as the inability to remove them. Anyway, thanks and cheers!

    Oliver Zimmermann I agree. It would be good to see a good mix of both. I will admit that some of the boosted posts I've seen are fully white supremacist and there's no way to stop that. (I've heard that getting a premium account might be a way)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauchlin MacGregor Yep, for 20 Token / Month for a Minds Plus subscription you won't see any boosted content. So they say. I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oliver Zimmermann So for those of us who are not content creators or who do not jump on as often, that Plus account likely will be an out of pocket expense. That will probably put a halt to mass adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scott Jordan it's 3$ a month. It's not that expensive. Besides I've managed to ignore most boosted content. It's not like they are flooding your newsfeed

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oliver Zimmermann $3/month? Then it will definitely put a halt to mass adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  15. $3/mo is pretty steep just to get rid of a feature...

    And the first and last thing you always see on your feed page are the boosted posts, not to mention, they rotate through a list automatically. So even if you see something interesting (which is rare), it flashes by quickly and you have to constantly toggle it back to read (or I guess you could click on it to open it).

    Anyway, it's an annoying feature I'm not really willing to upgrade and pay to get rid of. If I happen to earn the tokens, sure, but having it as a baseline feels like it's a great way to try to annoy people into upgrading, and that's never a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wara zashi you can stop auto rotation in the settings menu in the top right corner of the Newsstream, right underneath your profile picture

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scott Jordan I'm on minds for about a week now an I've made 34 tokens so far. Only by posting some pictures I shot and some other random stuff. I haven't made a subscription yet and I'm not sure I will. Boosted content is not that big of a deal. At least in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oliver Zimmermann Fair enough. But it sounds like a dance I choose not to do. Besides, I am really not comfortable with the user base there from what I see of the vast majority of the topic available. MeWe has the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Scott Jordan All the more reason for people like you and me to go there and change the status quo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. For politics to work, sometimes less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oliver Zimmermann I have been playing with MeWe a bit. I spent about 30 minutes doing nothing but blocking trolls and fools. I think it might be somewhat tolerable, if it lasts.

    I just created an account on Minds and made a post. We'll see what comes of it. As long as I never have to pay (I have 3 kids going to college) and I am not constantly bombarded with bullshit, I'll keep poking at it.

    It feels urgent now because we are all scrambling around uncertain of our future, but in actuality there is a long time before G+ dies. A lot can change. Historically though, once a social platform falls into the toilet, it is virtually impossible to get it clean again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"