Skip to main content

Open Question: Should you delete your Google+ account when you leave?

Open Question: Should you delete your Google+ account when you leave?

• It deletes your posts and comments so others can't see them. This can be both good and bad.
• No way to follow you through the end of life of Google+ if you delete the account.
• Might feel good to just do it, you know, because: f*ck the man.
• Any community you own may be in jeopardy. (Depends on factors.)

Comments welcomed. Discuss.

Comments

  1. I see no reason to delete yet. There is still a chance that G+ will be spared/resurrected as a direct port to some other platform or to G Suites (though API does not currently support account migration, just data download). I am continuing to use G+ for now until the road ahead is more clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too early to leave. Too anxious people. Still nine months ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t understand why everyone is in such a rush to runaway. It’s been good here for 87 months. We have more than 10% that length of time still left on the clock. Why go now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question. I suppose the reason you might want to delete your content before Google+ closes down - or is left frozen perpetually - is that you can’t be certain you can do it later.

    But I encourage everyone not to delete any content yet, and later on not without thinking about it carefully first, and if you still want to go ahead, at least take out your data first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lev Osherovich George Pendarbes Brian Holt Hawthorne Exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have no idea what's going on in the future here. What's the plan. Where does everything go. Having said that... the whole reason we're in this situation is that Google isn't putting much cycles towards this project. Dunno what the internal culture looks like around this, but if it were a "standard corporation" then I'd expect not a whole lot more figured out between now and 10mo from now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good question , just where does all of the data go once G+ shuts down ? 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deleting the account is not the best way to handle such things. it gets you all the downsides without any benefits. One good way to ensure the account is deleted is for people to send a GRPR delete request ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We should not burn our bridges just yet, but building new bridges to new options is a good thing, just hang on in here to see what happens and to keep in touch with all those lovely people you met here and remember, no where out there will you meet such a fine bunch of intelligent folks - I hear they are all Nazis and porn bots out there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of my (very active) photography friends are still here, still active and engaging in group projects. I see no point in leaving as long as that's true. Among other things, we're working on figuring out where we can best find each other going forward and continue the good stuff we've got going on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll stay until the end, but then I will delete the entire account. I don't see any point in keeping it up. I have signed up for pluspora and for mewe, but not sure I will continue with social networking after this. I will keep those sites open in case someone wants to contact me, and as a way of still having some contact with those I met here, but I think my social networking days will be over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll wait till D-Day is imminent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you delete, Google will ask you why in a confirmation page. They have checkboxes for a bunch of inane reasons that won't apply to anyone leaving because of the "sunset", and then there is an "other" option with a text field. Please give that some thought, and we shoud maybe have a thread somewhere for candidates for the best response? :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Personally, I'd really appreciate it if Google would at least keep everything up in read-only mode (probably too much to hope for). So I see absolutely no point in deleting anything at any time for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deleting your G+ account isn't really "f*ck the man". Google already said "f*ck you" to all of us. They've already won.
    At this point, deleting anything would be like clearing out your desk when you've gotten an advanced layoff notice; the company would just be like "OK, so what, they were gone in a short amount of time anyway".

    ReplyDelete
  16. As reason for deleting my data I suggest economic reasons and that the service of G+ don't fit anymore my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The deletion link in the original blog post (perhaps it's changed now) is to delete your Google Profile, which has the second-order effect of deleting your Google+ activity. But I don't know how to delete Google+ without deleting the profile. The profile enables things like avatar photos in sharing dialogs in Google products and Gmail and "evergreen contacts" where those with Android phones can delegate fields they haven't manually edited to your Profile details so that if something changes, they get those changes automatically.

    So that would be an argument against, as I imagine (though I can't say for certain) they will keep the profile functionality around.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Trey Harris There is now a difference between your Google account information (that’s at aboutme.google.com) and it is shared across all sorts of products, including Google+, and your Google+ Profile, which is the part of your Google Account (or G Suite Account) that is specific to Google+. For example, my Google+ Profile is at https://plus.google.com/+BrianHoltHawthorne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even just keeping G+ alive thru 2020 would have made a huge ( x3 ) difference.
    There are many major reasons for this.

    This is a critical time for society.
    We have to do what we can to retain and sustain social connectivity and the public square.

    I emphasize Good Karma [ very much my profession ] and pro-social engagement.

    I lose enormously on several levels when G+ shuts down or deprecates functionality.

    I think the reasonable middle ground is to push for keeping G+ alive thru 2020.

    "We each have a responsibility to think about humanity and the good of the world because it affects our own future. We weren’t born on this planet at this time to create problems but to bring about some benefit."
    The Dalai Lama, 17 Aug 2018

    ReplyDelete

  20. John Lewis ...

    "Might feel good to just do it, you know, because: f*ck the man."

    ...lol, but it occurs to me that this particular line of thinking would be akin to an angry guy burning his $200 Nike's after he bought them. "That'll show 'em!"

    But you'd be doing absolutely zero harm to Google - maybe even making their lives a little easier, by being rid of us all sooner...

    ...whereas I've seen first hand that deleted accounts can cause loss of referential integrity in some pretty involved threads, and so you may be inadvertantly hurting other gelfs, who may have put different amounts of effort (and love) into whatever it was they were saying and doing in G+...

    ...so, if it's not in someway actually detrimental to someone to leave their gelf-trail in tact, then out of simple, mutual courtesy between gelfs, why not leave it as is? Let the arbiters of this act do their own dirty work...


    ReplyDelete
  21. Can we stay on topic, please, otherwise I am going to mute this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I deleted several off-topic comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"