So far I have looked at Mastodon, MeWe and Pluspora. None has all the features I liked about G+. I think I'll just stay on for a while and check again later. There are 10 months left after all so there is no hurry. And even if I don't find an alternative, I have lived without G+ for many years, so I guess I can do that again.

And btw. I just deleted my MeWe account because of the annoying daily notifications from the Android app about new features and such that apparently cannot be turned off.
ReplyDeleteYou can control every single aspect of the notifications. You can go into the MeWe news group, tap on the info button and change your notification preferences.
ReplyDeleteBut seriously, you complain about not having all the features of Google+ and then you don't want to be notified when new features become available. Your attitude stinks.
Mark Stronge there’s a major difference between “missing features” and “daily notifications you can’t turn off”.
ReplyDeleteThe principal cause of uninstall on my phone is “being clingy/pushy":
- Hey, I have new feature
- Hey, I’m asking for the 30th time for access to your accounts
- Hey, You need to install this app now
Wanting an application to shutup is a normal attitude.
Jose Pina Coelho you can turn them off. That's the point.
ReplyDeleteIf you are like me, you want a similar experience as you receive on Google+ when you migrate to a different platform. I decided to try http://www.Minds.com as a replacement for Google+. To my surprise I found a very similar Google+ experience on Minds. I don't care about earning money for content, so I am ignoring that and using Minds like I would Google+. I still set up my Minds wallet because it seemed to be a requirement.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine social media without gifs...it's my passion. Minds accepts my gifs which tend to be large in size. Pluspora did not. Pluspora also abbreviated the posts so you had to click on 'Show More' to see the whole post. Minds does not do that. Minds allow you to edit your post. Pluspora did not. It's more like Google+.
At Minds, you set up your profile (Channel). As I understand it, you won't see your friends' posts unless you subscribe to their channel. They will need to subscribe to your channel too. Put hashtags in your post for wider distribution in searches.
#GooglePlusReplacement #Minds #SocialMedia
minds.com - Minds
Mark Stronge no, you can't turn them off. According to my profile page, all notifications were turned off, but these kept on coming. I checked several times.
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tKdhjcLj-Jc8xMt7H8Tz8LANJRkG-8hl9muXN_VqFmK2CIzj90Xk2cVfCnBs2LKXgf_VgqGvwNJIhTJHlOv8OQ2y7S9KrlyyPDc=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/JjJ_-s5LfJw0w4raa7suG3p_Z5RgegsFvjhOw-n60kSZixJZKxxSONbvhU_fDgFoF9PaMaq7lNM02pFDg3bihRXcctDNyJJjp2U=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ujeexGF_LcKgCvqFSBtWAwLX6WSwPD3_jV5AgskR5ShFli-yO5GWjDMQOdbZH_kLBjImYTXvY0yYR8zDwUEcz0cDlfeLlreDu6s=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OxSmf1z0MSx98Sfz7XYzIJSeaDT2n9CX6LMT_1sekLxy-VLjK3bidakfCTxc1GgXTzPQgnPk9iK14pmPn0vIb9y9xUmuSHBVzjw=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/and7_LLa-kUvw9j4raSLOdSor9mSb0dVXmFjUmbMQTwDIQsJ24pmsJKOt7jtv6ma_NQWjTWH0_s4hSUrgmUl7T4A22JPRCJjsNc=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0DbAO0wxXxFX3cCc3nzBjVd2CQT25XNxdJHOsdMyKhqr2dCDd_EleihHB-jmds2WD7SUD86ijEBiaGT1k74uRfO4VKQCxCxzF0g=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/cmI7m_dYsnL6Gkzeiuv3NlgWrN9av_QX4dMRpNzw2RuSyHjmj1nJM7G645ZH8QovBbJV665E_wtbSOuatbSWvoOZkQ5fp-HOJLA=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8SiDA4-G8c004eOmotGeuYNwCIJUvo2o1ZLQX2RlcxzjWuhiLzA4jDSZRIsWP-Oojukt5YuDfEDWBtYggx4xh35NDei2dWaomO4=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZBiYjZK_N4O0H5pmczryMDCx0wgU5ZUZKxDAaWO8j2628tkFxf1YZFevlIMw22PcckrB_bMzLRW_99i5OwL7LftlT6CH4a3CLAI=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/v-MNWziw7hOHUkpFezax2nmDPdDGLAchBSCCslWEbWLQSL-Qi8r1eimEln4kXbClYMBIGtVVY02VVuoZhpmnFaVjNc21aX-Zysg=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jj38mAOlm4nvKMs-PwsxEW8CFH4EAFd0auw8gIRhpNqaU39MxYZefcB8rXK8iajLcvF5nu6punGTIFOv2PuI226AISU8W9cSxdA=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sU6Gck4wtAamApxWQ9aRcA1KRPC0ip4Bzte4O3rjueVtjKYps6Von2fa1NB4p6XYD0Txick7nIDXeYEVmyo-biA_kY6t7gcArVU=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/iedzWrAf-wbJf8hB4yN4EFrozoG1wdgQ0vb441_9u_qP3jiao3MJwHdAmpBuH6PB_x8RdKMgrCPftbj0Ba4S5nCmcvKMTOlwl9I=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hK7xKM100eB_rLbbSo_pfzdWXqgyXC7KA1K6POZ67wvk_RYx7CJzzgfrnMiKhDymS0EHXX_sFlTdM7CwSnimEU0Md_p6UoMsj0I=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/QAoscX24_XDOXOmF34963xRdWeVRkNvr7vezQhotJfMZ--MnrQUt6Z0i5bHHHHmMh2awW_DL11hT21kPeiWWcftIAEv8f194WTw=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l0oTIfMvsqrkz1oblPgNLV5D7IECs-nq3uENgKn_YAva6JniV9I6KFBPPphOnbAWBJlFBMiWTDnGbLxyhXt_AbvP_990VRIVEw=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mywgbFmN8zwOlyMJnw-9uv-lWViOrwI-EZjEmdPU1vJQdS53z0cJh-XHtEBGBBlriuQOezmX7PPydn_Bwl7Lu6M-zyzL3_oLIMc=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/U03Aobp8YUhR-k4JzOQm7Of_Li48G8xPUckY7-q-HSJRpI3Y-Csq42DEl_pyNF8tafuT2e0EaGdiIuCLoHQoA3-TjZm4-kZrc5s=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1ENhC7iymHkWRPX32GiAYuy8L3DhP-wO3M8pY8nSJNfIp4MlQF6RiKUNuDC0Wl0rE4_1t4dBJJCgU3TjEvPrucLufRLPYyr0xJ0=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/nF5oL8Bs7Yz6i6H4Sp-bLElQ2G-bjaSa-n2-_VMlj1nrbbKmGRGnm90K0l-obRAx_6awdEvnBgNy949gpsSeUiH0i_JjeGbm6EM=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w9EQwM_LJv_YcpkAh_3PRYHvCvuCI_WSRoJ77FyreNqrmuOphRXOGKxjVE9UTDy83LzdMnMUmOYIvjVG6KElS6geVvcnC8VZK7U=s0
ReplyDeleteNotifications are very granular. Here. Go into groups, MeWe news and updates, at the top right, to on the info button, scroll down to the notification preferences.https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1CWiVPbysR9E0k20j4tNMMucb77vomO9mMdMLpjR7YzWRH6_o5tLSby0ya9dvT7jV0A8LGmA2_XzbQe99rlJR7pnivrRa0cO_xI=s0
ReplyDeleteMark Stronge but "Your attitude stinks" is not the point.
ReplyDeleteJeroen Wiert Pluimers read my whole comment. But I think he's figured it out.
ReplyDeleteMark Stronge I read your whole comment, hence my remark.
ReplyDeleteReading plus.google.com - Thomas Mueller (dummzeuch) shows Thoma is thorough, so your "stinks" was unwarranted and distracts from the apparent problem what finding your way in the MeWe Android App configuration is not straightforward.
For me, finding those settings was hard, given there is no "settings" button on the start screen and that after trying, I could find only one "settings" button in the whole application (it is under the "bell" button).
Following your suggestion "You can go into the MeWe news group, tap on the info button and change your notification preferences." I could not find the "info" button.
From the start screen, I went to "Groups", clicked the topmost "MeWe news", then no "info" button, just a post from "Jason Hardy", a "back" and "forward" button on the top and a "go to group" button.
Finally I got it: I had to click on the "go to group" button, then on the "(i)" button in the top right, then turn off notifications.
I know UI design is hard, but I think dismissing someone not figuring out these deep steps is below par.
Jeroen Wiert Pluimers you missed my point entirely. I'll just leave it at that.
ReplyDeleteWith regards finding the setting, you were in the "new posts" section and not the actual group. Finding your way when all of this is new can be trying, but patience is the key and just pressing buttons and see how things work is the best way.
I love how you can go into groups, the notifications for the groups are at the top, you tap on one, you can scroll up and down through the new posts and then, swipe across and you are in the next group that has new posts and so on, depending on how many new posts there are in each group. This is a feature that would have made communities on Google+ useable. As it was, it was a terrible experience going back and forward and searching for the communities with new numbers denoting new posts.
I've seen complicated conversations, which don't seem to have led to people getting the largest benefits they can.
ReplyDeleteThere are better programs than the ones mentioned in this conversation.
When you share with me what benefits you seek from using software for public communication, my team will help you choose and configure software. You can consider Google Plus; they wrote: we "will be launching new features".
Please follow up by going to my profile and commenting on one of my public posts, e.g.: https://plus.google.com/+JulianDumitrascu/posts/aRtBzFE4pfG
Mark Stronge Yes, I have "figured it out", because I have deleted my account there (which also means I can no longer look for that setting). You might be right that I ddn't look hard enough. But it shouldn't be necessary to look hard for such a feature, especially after disabling all notifications for my account. "all" apparently does not mean all. Can we please stop discussing my stupidity now? Thanks.
ReplyDeleteMeWe notifications is still buggy and is acknowledged by the devs. One problem is they split notification settings between app and the web. You have to turn the notification off on BOTH platforms if you don't want to be bothered with it at all. But still from my experience even after turning them off I still get them sometimes, and even worse I may get multiple notifications for one new post.
ReplyDeleteHalfey Halphstein same here... ended up I disabled the android notifications for MeWe altogether 😐
ReplyDeleteTeng Chiang You on MeWe oso arr? Add me la mewe.com/i/halfey
ReplyDeleteHalfey Halphstein I'm there. Can create a Malaysia group and conquer the network. But hor, I've a bad feeling how long the network can last. Will elaborate more after trying out a few more alternatives 😬
ReplyDeleteUpdate: invited you into my contact liao
Just so you know... I am 3-4 days into my MeWe experience using the Android client, and I do not get any unwanted notifications about new features, new posts, contact requests, etc, etc. For a very simple reason: I turned all notifications off.
ReplyDelete