Someone please elaborate to me why people are considering Mastodon?
It's a bad twitter knockoff like half of the OSSM/Federated platforms, and doesn't have a good featureset.
We should be looking for a replacement, not a downgrade.
Pluspora has potential, but its' feature set needs things like communities/groups and collections to sell me on the platform.
It's a bad twitter knockoff like half of the OSSM/Federated platforms, and doesn't have a good featureset.
We should be looking for a replacement, not a downgrade.
Pluspora has potential, but its' feature set needs things like communities/groups and collections to sell me on the platform.

Well, Mastodon supposedly has communities.
ReplyDeleteThere doesn't seem to be a clear "upgrade", just various compromises that share the common benefit of currently having a future, whereas G+ does not.
Agreed... I joined earlier today to check it out, and it's definitely not a good replacement for G+.
ReplyDeleteBecause people might have different reasons what constitutes a good feature set?
ReplyDeleteFor example I'm only here to read stuff in certain circles (pun not intended). Everything else I've hated from the first day, how it's structured, how I have to use it. The notification system drives me nuts and that's just the thing that annoys me every day. This wasn't intended to be a rant, but I cannot believe there aren't more people who aren't here because of the system, but despite it...
Florian Anderiasch I personally don't have my issues with the platform and like the unique approach to circles and Collections. No other platform actually has such a system, hence why I like it - however, I can understand your may have your problems with Notifications, it does seem at least a little cumbersome for me.
ReplyDeleteNikki S. Yeah, just trying to explain how for e.g. me Mastodon could be a superb replacement with only potential to improve my experience. On a scale from 10 = awesome to 1= horrible, Twitter threads and G+ were both like a 2-4 for me. Mastodon at least mostly has 500 characters and I could run my instance, so I don't see a lot of downsides. If you liked G+, then it's bad, I can imagine.
ReplyDeleteI want a translation feature for those I follow whose English isn't perfect or nil. Mastodon's translator is primitive; pluspora's doesn't exist.
ReplyDeleteSome G+ user I know have chosen Mastodon because there are too many political talks on Twitter (Not American politics but something else).
ReplyDeleteActually, wouldn't the group feature in GNU Social more closely resemble the groups in Google Plus?
Nikki S. Dreamwidth, using LiveJournal's platform with an active developer staff, you can join communities, and you can filter your posts by "circles" (they call it something else.)
ReplyDeleteDreamwidth is pretty good, I've been there for a long time.
ReplyDeleteGregory Taylor Been a while - this page may have the answers you're looking for:
ReplyDeletedreamwidth.org - FAQ Search
If you want to do any testing I can help as I'm already there. leecetheartist.dreamwidth.org - leecetheartist | Recent Entries
ReplyDeleteI heavily rely on circles here, and what I like most is the ability to have long posts and replies turning into real conversations. I'm in several communities but the truth is I barely follow them. At first glance Mastodon doesn't meet my needs because of the instance model, but I'm at least open to trying it. Diaspora looks odd, but I'm looking at it as well. My DW account went fallow years ago in preference to G+
ReplyDeleteLoredena Frisealach A common approach I see that people use on Mastodon is that they have multiple account on multiple Mastodon instance, and treat post to each of those account as post to each individual circles.
ReplyDeleteWhat about Hubzilla? Open source, but not dependent on MySQL/MariaDB (no discussions please, we've had them all).
ReplyDeleteHolger Jakobs As long as they use compatible implementations of ActivityPub then which exact implementation each individual use doesn't really matters?
ReplyDelete