Skip to main content

The Google blog post says they will keep it for enterprise use.

The Google blog post says they will keep it for enterprise use. I wonder if that includes all G Suite accounts (including those of us using legacy free accounts). I further wonder if they will keep the ability for G Suite accounts to post publicly (for cross-enterprise communications). If both of those are the case, I’ll still be here, and anyone who is willing to pay $5/month/user or $50/year/license for G Suite can be stay here too. If they drop G+ support for the legacy free G Suite accounts but keep the ability to post publicly, I may have to bite the bullet and start paying the $200/year to upgrade to G Suite. It comes with all sorts of added benefits, but haven’t felt the need for them on my personal G Suite accounts yet.

So, I’m waiting to hear more info and waiting to see how quickly people bail.

In any case, I will have loads more time on my hands!

Comments

  1. Yeah, I have a legacy free GA account, but dunno what the story with that is going to be... people would probably have to get accounts at that legacy GA for the G+ within it. I dont' think it would work between the legacy GAs... And sorry, while I love y'all, I'm not sure I want to admin proxy accounts for all of the G+ left over here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't count on X-enterprise comms through the paid product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roberto Bayardo Well, the current enterprise G+ product supports cross-enterprise posting (though you have to enable it), so I can’t imagine why they would turn that off. Businesses have legitimate needs to communicate with their suppliers, customers, and partners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll see... I know it's being designed primarily with the single Enterprise use case in mind. There may be some ability to loop in those outside but it's not going to suffice to replicate a consumer g+ like experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roberto Bayardo I really don’t want a consumer experience. That’s been the problem with G+ all along (e.g., spam, trolls, etc.)

    If I can just continue to have intelligent conversations among a small number of correspondents at other enterprises, that’s all I want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. check out pluspora.com... i'm trying it out for now (i have issues with twitter, mastodon, reddit, etc :-/ )

    i'm browneyedgirl@pluspora over there. I think this is Di Cleverly's project, and she actually started this before today's announcement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy Brown Thanks for the invite, but I just don’t have the energy to leap into yet another public social network. I think I will stay on here and see how long the lights stay on, and then when/if it goes entirely I will just be done with social media. It was a good fad that had a pretty long run as the net goes, but it has gone the way of earlier attempts like “portals” like geocities or sixdegrees, monolithic information services like AOL or BIX, distributed discussions online Usenet, and BBS chat rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just realised I'm a G Suite user, although on a different account. I think I pay 4 euros per month for it, but I have only used it for corporate email so far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"