Administrivia: Updated Google Data Takeout link to pre-select for Google+ products
The Google+ Mass Migration Sidebar has numerous links, one is to "Google Data Takeout". I've just edited this to pre-select all products potentially associated with a G+ account, to the best of present knowledge:
https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout/custom/plus_pages,circles,stream,plus_one,profile,plus_communities,plus_photos
That is, the link includes:
* plus_pages: Any "Pages" associated with your G+ profile.
* circles: Your G+ Circles.
* stream: All G+ Stream activity: posts, comments, polls, etc.
* plus_one: Your "+1"s on external Web pages.
* profile: Your G+ Profile
* plus_communities: A listing of G+ communities.
* plus_photos: Your G+ photos, organised by album.
There may be more information in this selection than you need or want to keep But there should not be any G+ content that can be archived that is excluded. In other words: this is a complete and preselected link. It simplifies the process problem of "what content do I select".
You will still need to choose other archive settings, including individual formats (HTML by default, use *JSON where possible), the archive chunk size (2 GB by default), the format (.zip by default), and the delivery option. Process for all of these should be further improved by Google, and we have ongoing requests for this to happen.
There's further room for improvement, but this is progress.
If you're trialing the Google Data Archive Process, you probably want to use this link to get started.
Any updates and/or corrections are welcomed.
Accessing The G+MM Sidebar
This appears on the left side of your browser window using the Desktop Web client.
For Mobile Web, use the "kebab" (three vertical dot) menu and select "About" for this content.
For iOS and Android apps, I believe the interface is as with Mobile Web.
The Google+ Mass Migration Sidebar has numerous links, one is to "Google Data Takeout". I've just edited this to pre-select all products potentially associated with a G+ account, to the best of present knowledge:
https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout/custom/plus_pages,circles,stream,plus_one,profile,plus_communities,plus_photos
That is, the link includes:
* plus_pages: Any "Pages" associated with your G+ profile.
* circles: Your G+ Circles.
* stream: All G+ Stream activity: posts, comments, polls, etc.
* plus_one: Your "+1"s on external Web pages.
* profile: Your G+ Profile
* plus_communities: A listing of G+ communities.
* plus_photos: Your G+ photos, organised by album.
There may be more information in this selection than you need or want to keep But there should not be any G+ content that can be archived that is excluded. In other words: this is a complete and preselected link. It simplifies the process problem of "what content do I select".
You will still need to choose other archive settings, including individual formats (HTML by default, use *JSON where possible), the archive chunk size (2 GB by default), the format (.zip by default), and the delivery option. Process for all of these should be further improved by Google, and we have ongoing requests for this to happen.
There's further room for improvement, but this is progress.
If you're trialing the Google Data Archive Process, you probably want to use this link to get started.
Any updates and/or corrections are welcomed.
Accessing The G+MM Sidebar
This appears on the left side of your browser window using the Desktop Web client.
For Mobile Web, use the "kebab" (three vertical dot) menu and select "About" for this content.
For iOS and Android apps, I believe the interface is as with Mobile Web.

So we should be able to use this to lift our entire profile and posts and put them on a zip drive?
ReplyDeleteHeather Hult Depending on the size of the zip drive, but yes, that's one storage option.
ReplyDeleteI'd suggest two zip drives, for redundancy. Kept in safe places.
Edward Morbius thank you so much. My partner and I have been trying to figure this out for a while now and couldn't get an answer from anyone.
ReplyDeleteWe want to keep our posts because we have so much irreplaceable stuff, pictures of friends long gone and the like. We were both really distressed at the thought of losing so many years of our lives.
Thank you again, friend.
Heather Hult Right. For now, you want to get the data and want to hold it securely. Which means: somewhere that equipment failures or other issues won't cause loss or unwanted disclosure.
ReplyDeleteThere are a lot of people working on how to provide tools for working with the data. Some of those exist now, we expect there will be more. Some of them may not appear until well after Google+ is shut down, but having the data means you'll be able to use them.
For now: get the data, transfer it somewhere safe, and hold on to it. The rest will come, in time.
Edward Morbius okay. I'll let my partner know.
ReplyDeleteStan Kain is the real tech guy here.
/sub
ReplyDeleteBased on advice and looking at my archive results, I am removing "plus_photos" from the link.
ReplyDeleteBest I can tell, that's redundant, means I'm downloading all photos twice, and I gain relatively little.
... though not nothing. The "plus_photos" archive is organised by album, which can be useful for going through your photos in a time-ordered way. Otherwise I believe they're stored with specific posts.
Images were 16.37 of 16.84 GB of downloaded data, 97.2%. Everything else was 471 MB. I should be able to cut the archive to 8.66 GB.