Skip to main content

I am struggling with the idea of Takeout. YMMD and it surely does.

I am struggling with the idea of Takeout. YMMD and it surely does.

But I have been scrolling back thru my old posts. Discussions around links to sites that are now dead ... those posts I deleted. Discussions where I am talking to myself, because the other half of the conversation has vanished ... deleted. Posts that got no engagement then, why would they get engagement if I dump hundreds of antiquated posts on new social? I am deleting most of my old posts.

Maybe the last few I could try a tiny Takeout.

Comments

  1. Ja, tatsächlich ich wollte es auch so,...
    Aber wenn ich zurück laufen will,... Mein Tablet verweigert oft das weiter zurück.
    Und es springt dann auf das Aktuelle.
    Vielleicht ist es auch nur ein momentanes Problem?
    Ich hörte, einige haben momentan unterschiedliche Probleme mit G+. :-/
    Ich werde am Wochenende, den Lauf zurück, erneut probieren. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the task to be daunting. I have routinely doubled back through old posts to purge broken links, deleted photos I re-shared, etc. There isn't much of my content that I would want to re-purpose ...prefer to know that it was wiped clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I set up Takeout for just my profile (not communities or contacts) a couple days ago and it's still at 0% of file creation. So, that's super promising. 🙄

    I wish they'd just leave it as a time capsule. It can't take up much server space in Google's world. And as has been pointed out already, there are folks who are deceased with great bodies of work here that it would be nice for their children to be able to grow up and enjoy when they're old enough and for other loved ones to look back at from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave up on this Takeout. 75$ worth of my internet plus not even sure it will work as the connection is going down every 2-3 hours.
    Takeout = #firstworldproblem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olivier Malinur Could you please describe your situation as regards internet connectivity, bandwidth, and data caps? This seems like information Google have not fully considered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mistake, 60$, not 75$.

    7 Gb ~ 8.5$
    Bandwidth? In the night, it's around 3 Mbps, in the day rather 1 to 1.5 Mbps. The main issue is the very frequent "micro cuts" of few seconds to few minutes. It made mmorpg impossible to play. Ghana connection was much more steady., when it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olivier Malinur Do the data cuts interfere with long-duration downloads, as with Google Data takeout?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It depends very much. Sometimes, most times, data are corrupted and I have to start from scratch. If the download is only 200-500 Mb, it works but with large volumes, it almost systematically gets corrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Edward Morbius in Cape Town we also have a glitchy internet. For example Windows updates may, take ages, then say sorry broken, undoing. And we battle thru a second round.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And Cape Town is relatively good compared to Dakar which is relatively good compared to Cotonou or Douala.
    So, just imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Olivier Malinur I've been imagining, for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the Loon Project is in that imaginary territory

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diana, you know like me they will have to get a license to broadcast on a foreign territory.
    Which Google will not do.
    They will rather sign agreement with the like of MTN. At the end, the prices will stay the same.
    Moreover, knowing the way Google manages its "priority projects", I won't be surprised if Project Loon is sent to the Dungeon like Google Plus, Google Space, Allo and other "priority projects".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Olivier Malinur I first saw the Loon Project here on G+. But I have seen more recent reports. It is ongoing?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"