
Originally shared by Shelenn Ayres
Moving a Friendica Account to Another Server
One feature I love is you can sign up on any public server now to learn to use Friendica then move to your preferred server anytime! You control your existence. :) I look forward to trying it!
Here's how:
This is an experimental feature
Go to "Settings" -> "Export personal data"
Click on "Export account" to save your account data.
Save the file in a secure place! It contains your details, your contacts, groups, and personal settings. It also contains your secret keys to authenticate yourself to your contacts.
Go to your new server, and open http://newserver.com/uimport (there is not a direct link to this page at the moment). Please consider that this is only possible on servers with open registration. On other systems only the administrator can add accounts with an uploaded file.
Do NOT create a new account prior to importing your old settings - uimport should be used instead of register.
Load your saved account file and click "Import".
After the move, the account on the old server will not work reliably anymore, and should be not used.
https://forum.friendi.ca/help/Move-Account

Shelenn AyresThere's a lot of good stuff here, it would be good to consolidate into one post maybe?
ReplyDeleteBill Brayman It's a tradeoff. Some people want each post to not give them information overload while others prefer everything in one. The key here is to provide information for others to know how to find a new social media home. I've been sitting back watching, reading, exploring options, and came to a decision.
ReplyDeleteMore people need to know they don't have to put themselves at the mercy of yet another company with single authority. The decentralized federated web space has no single authority. The power is in the hands of the users who are the owners of their content.
I chose Friendica after extensive evaluation because it has more features than G+ or FB or any of the others shared here. It is extremely easy to use and customizable by the user. One can even self host and still connect with over 2.4 million users and that number is growing. I won't ever have to deal with looking for a new social media home again :)
btw - I'm digging Friendica. Would prefer to have markdown in text fields but the bracket markup is okay I guess.
ReplyDeleteThom Thomas feature request hint... I am looking forward to the next release to see what all they fixed or added. RC came out yesterday for testing.
ReplyDeleteShelenn Ayres Yes i'd like to see friendica have a g+ wave of people. Of all the alternatives tho, friendica seems to have mostly European presence and less use of English except for the one CA server. But i'm just a newbie and haven't got establish there, and am just starting to read all those posts.
ReplyDeleteShelenn Ayres Do you know of an easy way to migrate off of Diaspora and onto Friendica?
ReplyDeleteBill Brayman I haven't found that to be the case but then again I have G+ familiars on my contact list who are on Friendica, Hubzilla, Mastodon, and Diaspora since we are all on federated network types. The only place I see other languages is on the global page at times. Occasionally I will see one in a support community forum (of which there are many) or the dev community forums and that is expected. Since it is in a browser, I just right click to translate when needed. That is because I have auto translation turned off. If I turn it on for my browser, I would see everything in original or translated english.
ReplyDeleteThom Thomas nope I don't but I suggest connecting with the support forum and asking there.
ReplyDeleteShelenn Ayres 👍okay. Thx.
ReplyDeleteThom Thomas it's BBCode I believe but I've seen others tell me they use an editor then copy paste instead of use the buttons etc... depends on the user. One point of feedback I gave to devs was that links in comments did not open the link popup like it does on top posts. The same is true for other features within comments. Hopefully there was some attention to these inconsistencies in this RC. I am putting together a test team of users (not devs) to assess the release and potentially contribute more user focused tutorials.
ReplyDeleteFYI there is a markdown addon for Friendica diekershoff.net - .: :: Homepage of Tobias Diekershoff
ReplyDeleteShelenn Ayres can that be installed by me or is it something the Friendica server admins on our server?
ReplyDeleteThom Thomas good question! Adam Clark is the admin owner of social.isurf.ca so he is the one to ask :) You can reach him directly or through the isurf support forum.
ReplyDeleteWill your followers keep the connection to your identity? Or will they all have to re-connect?
ReplyDeleteI think the nomadic identity is something which only Hubzilla supports, but I may be wrong.
Holger Jakobs It is my understanding followers get notified of the move and re-connect.
ReplyDeleteYes Hubzilla has the same dev team I believe and has that nomadic concept. However, the use case for Hubzilla is different than for Friendica.
The good thing is they both federate very well and have similar capabilities.
Shelenn Ayres I have a feeling that the complications and nuanced use cases of Friendica and Hubzilla is going to zap the fun out of the federation for most people. I'm a sys admin/infrastructure engineer and the learning curve still isn't intuitive.
ReplyDeleteI'm finding myself longing to RTFM instead of clicking around until I get it.
I like learning new systems. But I don't think that is common with most people.
Every federated client I've used could use a lot more end user advocacy - so thanks for your work on this front.
ReplyDeleteSome platforms seem to value UX expertise more than others. I think Diaspora is struggling with this right now and the core dev team may not even be aware it's a problem. I think they are just hearing a bunch of G+ refugees "whining" rather than understanding that there is a huge pool of designers and user experience experts in the G+ exodus that they could learn from.
I worked for a coding agency for 5yrs as IT manager (with a side of dev ops lite work) and worked up close and personal with about 40 devs. Best job ever!
And obviously, every dev is unique. That said, very often, they share some common points of view, one of which is that UX can be (worse case) a bunch of touchy feely snake oil, (best case) mildly useful but unnecessary - like wall paintings or curtains in a house. They fail to value the function those things provide.
We were lucky enough to have some amazing front end people but the other devs constantly gave them shit about not being "real" coders. It was a lot of smack talking but I think deep down unconsciously they might have thought that, even if just a little bit.
Anyway, psychoanalyzing developer communities is not my full-time job (luckily for everyone) or even something I'm trained in - so obviously, I'm just talking about shit I'm not an expert on - not really sure what I'm doing besides blathering on ...
I'm sure I was going somewhere - lol - anyway - thx, I'm enjoying learning to use Friendica.
Thom Thomas You may find the New Members page and advanced help site more to your liking as a sys admin. We all learn differently. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat I've been posting (off the cuff due to G+ sunset acceleration) to help general users are layperson tips which often do not align with the thinking of techies. For me, coming from the engineering side, I found myself digging into capabilities long before using it. So that gave me a leg up I suppose. But we have to start somewhere before we can improve tips!
Either way, there is no doubt both projects need two things: usability improvements and also improvements with both tech and end user tutorials. The devs are very open to contributions in these areas. Their fear is that unless someone steps up to implement changes in the code it will not get improved. I am offering the design side work. Care to help code? ;)
Shelenn Ayres I'm not the person to look to for coding. I'm okay with documentation and server admin. And have experience in design & production from about 20 yes ago.
ReplyDelete