Skip to main content

Something potentially of interest for those interested in MeWe.

Something potentially of interest for those interested in MeWe.

UPDATE: this is/was just found by me by accident, and seemed like it might provide a different point of view for people trying to decide for or against MeWe.

I am myself not on MeWe, and haven’t decided where I’ll go after G+ shutters. Perhaps nowhere.

If you want to ask further information, or dispute the content, I suggest you follow up the *original* posting.



Originally shared by Tessa Schlesinger

Mewe was used throughout the last election by Bernie Sanders supporters. Bernie Sanders also has an account on mewe.com. Mark Weinstein, the owner of MEWE writes for the Huffington Post - something he is hardly likely to do if he were a far right supporter.

This is Bernie Sanders' page on mewe. Bernie posts there regularly..

https://mewe.com/p/berniesanders

This is Mark Weinstein, the CEO of mewe, writing for HuffPost, and he certainly sounds more like a Democrat than a Republican to me. He is, however, a Libertarian.

I would presume that someone who supported Trump would not be supporting Democratic candidates and daming Ted Cruz.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/senator-ted-cruz-privacy-hypocrite-calls-out-tim_us_5a08c3d4e4b0ee8ec36942c6

Here's a quote from one of his articles on HuffPost.

QUOTE: Did you see that paid protesters were bused to demonstrations against Trump? Surely, you must know about death panels that came with The Affordable Care Act? How about those phony ballots, papal endorsements, and illegal immigrant votes in our recent presidential election? None of these stories are true, but algorithms helped spread them like wildfire by putting them in front of the people most likely to read and share them. When you reach the point in which you can question photographic evidence of attendance at Trump’s inauguration as half-full or half-empty, you know you have a problem.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-greatest-threat-to-our-republic_us_58bdd52de4b0ec3d5a6ba193

I don't know who is spreading the story that we are financing the GOP when we join mewe, and that he is a Trump supporter, but I truly doubt it.Nothing I have read about him or heard him say makes me believe that.

https://mewe.com/home/static/Mark-Weinstein-Founder-CEO-of-MeWe.pdf

Comments

  1. "He is, however, a Libertarian." As a euro I might have a slightly different take on what that means as opposed to the US version.
    Besides, that Sanders link? MeWe (who chose that name anyway) won't let me see it without signing up - I don't care if it is being addressed that is another No. Even that cesspool with a G first letter lets me see exactly what goes on in there.
    I don't as such disagree with Weinsteins approach to privacy as such...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you for helping me get to the decision to not use MeWe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alistair Langsford What makes you think that Libertarians support Trump? According to a page on the site of the Libertarian Party (see https://www.lp.org/news-press-releases-libertarians-versus-donald-trump/), the views of Donald Trump do not reflect those of the Libertarian Party on national security, foreign policy, and a number of other issues.

    Granted, I do not support the Libertarian Party; instead, I support the Transhumanist Party.

    Although I also do not believe that Mark Weinstein behaves as a true Libertarian, the reason that I do not believe so is that Weinstein places a hard limit of 50 new accounts per 24-hour period that can be followed on MeWe. This restriction does nothing to promote Libertarianism on his site; if he were a true Libertarian, he would most likely not place such a restriction.

    Although I agree with your opinion that Weinstein is probably not a true Libertarian, I disagree with your view that Libertarians support the far right. The problem with Libertarians is not that they support the far right, but that they support hate speech; in addition, those on Google+ whose opinions I have read also deny climate change.

    In particular, one prominent Libertarian here on Google+ once wrote that if he were running a pizza store, he should be able to refuse delivery of pizza to a potential customer on the basis of that person's sexual preferences. That is a form of laissez-faire capitalism, which is indeed part of the platform of the Libertarian Party.

    (Personally, I disagree with laissez-faire capitalism because I believe that it is wrong to discriminate against people on the basis of their gender or their sexual preferences. (Just for the record, I am not gay; the basis for my opinion is that I simply believe that such forms of discrimination are wrong.) Another reason is that climate change denial imperils the extremely fragile ecosystem upon which most life on the planet, including the human species, depends.)

    Please don't tie together Libertarianism with support of Trump. Trump is one form of evil; Libertarianism is another form of evil. The reason that Libertarianism is evil is not that it is pro-Trump, but that it supports laissez-faire capitalism. Laissez-faire capitalism allows discrimination on the basis of such factors as gender or sexual preferences; incidentally, it also allows denial of climate change when such denial imperils the ecosystem upon which the survival of Homo sapiens (not to mention most other species of life) depends.

    (Incidentally, this finding that MeWe is probably not a true Libertarian site does not change my decision not to join MeWe; instead of not joining MeWe because MeWe is a Libertarian site, I won't join MeWe because it claims to be something that it doesn't actually seem to be; therefore, I don't really trust it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Benjamin Russell I posted this as an FYI. The original comes from Tessa Schlesinger. Having seen a mix of comments on MeWe, I thought Tessa’s point of view might be interesting extra information to those trying to decide where they’ll go. I have no other particular opinion on the site or the guy, or on Libertarians or US politics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alistair Langsford Oh, I see. Then I need to update my own shared version of your shared article.

    Sorry for the misunderstanding, and thank you for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alistair Langsford I have just replaced the reference to you in my shared version of your shared article with a reference to Tessa Schlesinger.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"