Skip to main content

2757 days

Originally shared by Martin Seeger

2757 days

I started posting on G+ on July 3rd 2011. That is 2757 days ago.

In that time I posted 2747 posts (not counting private posts) which received 17494 +1, 10357 comments and 2469 reshares.

The three most interacted posts were:
https://plus.google.com/+MartinSeeger/posts/cgK1GZDxKXU
https://plus.google.com/+MartinSeeger/posts/QLJ6tDM76Zx
https://plus.google.com/+MartinSeeger/posts/d8qmAQPQryN

Strangely the first two were in German though most of my circles communicate in English with me.

As all good things tend to, this too has to end. In this case it is not entirely voluntary but Google is forcing my hands. I do not stay at pubs till the innkeeper throws me out, so I am leaving here too at a time of my choosing. That time is now.

This would usually also be the place where I would thank Google for giving us the opportunity of this social media. But currently my feelings are rather "f*ck you" for how the closure is handled. They burnt more trust than most companies ever get from me in a lifetime. I do not appreciate getting lied to and shunned. As mentioned elsewhere, one of my plans in 2019 is to move every possible service of mine away from Google.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack threads on fire off the shoulder of Brexit. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Gamer Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to quit.

I will stop posting to G+ from now on. Private posts for direct communications or other exceptions may occur. But do not worry for me when this account falls silent. Though I will continue to read through this account, interactions from me will decrease. As mentioned, expect me to quit all Google services in 2019.

For the near future my main activity will be on Diaspora (masek@pluspora.com, https://pluspora.com/people/72ea5e20ad6601364692005056268def). But I expect this only to be an intermediate step (even though it may last quite some time).

You can also find me on Mastodon (https://octodon.social/web/accounts/20923) though my activity there is very limited.

My primary hopes for future social media rest with Christian Buggedei and his "Project Darcy" (https://darcy.is/). I will support that project to the best of my abilities. If you have resources to spare, the time will come where you can help too.

I also hope that Tim Berners-Lee Solid (https://solid.mit.edu/) will be a success.

Do not search me on Twitter or Facebook, I will not have any profile there.

There are several people I want to thank for their interaction here:

Kristian Köhntopp whith whom I have been in contact for nearly 40 years now and who has been the person I interacted most on G+.

Lauren Weinstein, Peter da Silva and Martin Espinoza who helped me to understand the U.S. view on my European cosmos and gave me insight into the maelstrom of U.S. politics.

Joerg Fliege who did his best that I could make some sense about Brexit. Any such attempt is a forlone hope's mission but he did much better than other people who get paid a lot for it.

Farlion Lunkwitz, Raul Krauthausen and Jens Unterkötter who sharpened my views in regards of areas within my own society which I tend to overlook far too easily.

Yonatan Zunger who has been responsible for a large part of the trust I once held in Google. Also I always cherished his deep insight into most complex topics.

Daniel Suarez for his participation and the insights into the live of an Author.

Lucas Appelmann who is responsible for a lot of maps in my archive and who shared my passion for Terry Pratchett.

Sakari Maaranen for the Finnish perspective.

Furthermore thanks to Torsten Kleinz, Michael Stuhr, Barbara Gross, Gwen Stoll, Irreverent Monk, Jan Wildeboer, Andreas Holzer, borg drone,Harald Wagener, Nils Dohse, Ralf ter Veer, Al Middleton, Antje Bendrich, Edward Morbius, Anke Kornbuch, Sven Türpe, Sigrid Ehrenreich, Raja Mitra, Andres Soolo, Daniel M., Patrick Koetter, André Baum, Maik Zumstrull, Maik Bischoff, Thomas Eichhorn, Rhys Taylor, Karl Auerbach, Karen Reilly, Bettina Ascaino, Elke Alex, Rainer Sokoll, Florian Sokoll, Rainer Peter Feller, Carsten Reckord, Sabine Engelhardt, Torrid Luna; Lutz Donnerhacke, Jürgen Christoffel, Holger Koepke, Michael Fuckner, Dan Weese, Michael Wiedmann, Roland Tapken, Uwe Seiler, Ralf Ertzinger, Daniel Mitzlaff, Martin Loeschner, Mitch Toß, Christian Buggedei, Petra Ristow and all the countless others who interacted with me. Please forgive me if I overlooked you in this post. There must be quite a crowd because this list is far too short.

All that remains for me to say here is: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
https://darcy.is/

Comments

  1. ❨❨❨David C. Frier❩❩❩ Darcy? Being worked on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OT, but my G+ turned italic . Anyone else's ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no nostalgia for G +. They made their bed now they must lie in it. They had potential but they got greedy like everyone else. There is no reason why they should allow accounts to be automatically cloned in large numbers unless they had an economic interest therein.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K. T. I really don't see this being about Google and Google+ the firm and the technical platform. It's about people and groups who came here, or formed whilst here for other reasons. Those are the communities.

    The firm has decided to focus its efforts elsewhere. The technical platform itself will cease to be.

    The people, groups, activity, relationships, that had been expressed here, still exist. Those can move to other means, possibly under their own control, if they want to.

    That's what this effort, G+MM, is about. And knowing who's going where, at least in part, helps provide the glue for those communities to re-form.

    There are people I've known on G+ who I'd know, or at least know of, for many years, sometimes decades, before. We may use technology, but we're far more than it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to admit I do like Darcy as a name and the explanation. Keeping an eye on this one, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re:"Google is forcing my hands." --- I think Google (Alphabet) is reacting to the worldwide threats of legislation and litigation. I can understand their need to protect the business but I wish they'd address the issue publicly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"