Skip to main content

Several people have compiled lists of interesting / appreciated G+ profiles

Several people have compiled lists of interesting / appreciated G+ profiles

These are immensely useful.

Bryan Ruby and Martin Seeger most recently.

First, there's a compilation of profiles, the G+ Notable Names Database, at the #PlexodusWiki: https://social.antefriguserat.de/index.php/G%2B_Notable_Names_Database#Content_Management_.2F_Web_Design_.2F_Content_Strategy

Bryan's list has been added, Martin's will be.

Lists in virtually any format can be added to that. Even a simple dump of profile links (which is what Martin provided) can be processed into the format used on the Wiki page (which ... is itself subject to review & modification). I'd added the 190 or so names from Bryan's list, and am working on another 64 from Martin's.

High-profile users make it vastly easier for communities to re-form. This was one of the lessons I'd learnt from G+ itself: that communities tended to be about people and posts, and that the real action on G+ was often a single user who would post on interesting topics, and provide enough moderation to keep the noise level down but the signal level high. Yonatan Zunger, who architected the site, was probably the best exemplar of this in my own lists, though there were many others.

For those who are still active elsewhere and have some discussion mechanism available, this will likely be how groups get back together. It's slow and sloppy and messy, but it ultimately works. And it doesn't take a whole lot of those contacts for this to happen, if they're universal enough. We're up to a few hundred.


Please please please please put up a #SignalFlare post.

That's a pinned post on your profile which lists your current alternate online platforms.

I'm looking for blog, microblog, social, and feed principally.

A brief bio helps. "World's Greatest (Mom|Dad|Grandkid)" may work, but if you're known for something specifically -- creating software, writing a book, blogging, etc., -- try to mention that, because it's going to have relevance outside your immediate family.

The same information in your Profile "About" page is also useful. Those may survive the G+ shutdown.

And a #GooglePlus or #GplusRefugee hashtag at your destination site will also be useful.


Criteria are reasonably easy: does someone think you're notable enough to mention. Until that becomes problematic, a third-party mention is sufficient.


And finally: If you don't care to be added or listed, you don't have to be, and can remove yourself. Information provided is public posting locations only, no emails or other private information. This is an option not a requirement.
https://social.antefriguserat.de/index.php/G%2B_Notable_Names_Database#Content_Management_.2F_Web_Design_.2F_Content_Strategy

Comments

  1. Good information! Some of us online extroverts sure help getting folks together. I’ve seen so many “quiet people” mourning the impending shutdown and fear they just can’t get started again. Or announce they are taking a break from all social media.

    But all of us who have hung in there through the years know that these online friendships, sharing information and good conversation are really to be treasured. Thanks again for your timely suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When trust is broken its very hard to believe interactions/ people are genuine on these sites. Have been here for 6 years and the only true inspiration has been myself.
    Even this site,alas seems fishy,eventho' it may be legit. Why? Because the interactions are robotic,giving tech tips and links without ever showing interest in what unites us as humans...,and its more than just tech links in the grand scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. K. T. Am sorry to hear your experience was not good. Just this afternoon I met up with a good friend I met years ago in G+. I travelled from Arizona to the Philly area to see family and got out for a few hours to see my friend.

    I have about 7 very good friends in Arizona that I meet up with regularly and we would never have met without great conversations over the years and gradually we met for lunch and other social outings. A year and a half ago 100 photographers who met each other in the Scavenger photo hunt communities got together in Vegas for a four day meetup. It was like a slumber party and photo walk for those days and it was powerful. Many are meeting again this Spring in Orlando, some get together in Canada and still others meet up over seas!

    None of these G+ folks are anything but themselves here. No silliness, stalking or cons. I believe how you experience social media is directly related to who you are, what you’re open to in meeting people, and what you value. I’m not alone: there are many people online who have been profoundly touched and enriched because of this place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cobalt please that's fine if you meet up with them eventually Cobalt, but what happens if you don't? I never know these people I interact with on G+ except for one who lived down the road from me,someone extremely malchevellique. It just attracts that ,although on fb I know the people and I don't have these problems.
    Few in Montreal use G+ except for the wackos.
    Sorry,but that's what I've experienced . It doesn't mean that I'm getting karmic consequence. It means that folks here are not into G+.Its not in the culture esp.amongst artists.
    It's depends on where you are not necessarily something one is doing" wrong".
    I use g+ to compose poetry and write,that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. K. T. Am an artist. Photographer for the last 14 years though. Can verify that as you age, you are likely to be a better judge of character. This helps you online because your BS detector becomes very accurate. Thus, finding real people is far easier. Yes, you are going to pass by many, but you have the pleasure of seeing those who have no interest in BS. Then you see those who have challenges but still a sense of humor. Yay! And quadruple yay when you find those you can freely share with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS my comment above was directed to your previous comment that you deleted while I was entering the reply. May make less sense now. Oops

    ReplyDelete
  7. K. T. Trust is tricky and delicate, I'll grant you that.

    I'm not sure quite what you mean by "this site" -- if it's G+ as a whole, or the G+MM Community. I'll admit that the focus has been largely on technical steps, but by way of providing tools to groups which are themselves communities -- formally or informally -- to remain together.

    At the scale of Google+ overall -- probably some tens of thousands of core users, and somewhere in the millions all together -- talking of a single community really doesn't make sense. For me, there's a group of ... probably fewer than 100 people that I've come to know and followed through the years. Some are already elsewhere, others have been moving or at least making plans over the past few months. We're keeping at least informally in touch.

    I guess I'm counting on the groups to supply their own reasons for being. Though if you want to address that, I'm all ears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cobalt please Okay ,well I'm a no BS person and look where it's got me..
    I just think social media can't work as an authentic form of communication. I know this seems negative but being a skeptic( not paranoiac) can save ones sanity& life..

    ReplyDelete
  9. cobalt please btw I'm possibly older, Cobalt, than you(?) & equipped with nonsensical humor, albeit dark ,but thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Edward Morbius my husband who's a systems analyst/architect is on this site . He doesn't comment much but he reads the comments/ articles. I usually ask him his opinion on this site G+ Migration

    ReplyDelete
  11. K. T. Really? You said this:

    “I just think social media can't work as an authentic form of communication.”

    How can you explain my cited examples of friendships formed? The 7 good friends in Arizona and 100 of us in Vegas.

    On Flickr I held the first state meet up for Arizona folks and 18 came to dinner. The group I started has 4,000+ members after 14 years now. How did this happen unless there is authentic communication?

    My best friend of 14 years lives in Penticton, BC. I met him through Flickr. Social media can open major pathways to communication, cooperation and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would also vouch for blog posts and comments as authentic communication across years. Some people are isolated by geography, life happens, or temperament - and we find our village, our tribe via careful curating of social media.
    YMMD as we each use, and interpret, our own sphere of social media differently.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"