Skip to main content

How the shutdown of Google+ affects Google+ Comments for Blogger

How the shutdown of Google+ affects Google+ Comments for Blogger
While my post here on Google+ is mostly ranting at/about Blogger for not providing a migration path, and being so late with informing its users, the linked article is Blogger's announcement post going into details on how Blogger will be affected by the #GooglePlusShutdown.

In short, any comments posted to Blogger blogs using the Google+ Comments system rather than Blogger's original own Comments system, will be lost. +1 and share buttons and related Google+ web integration will also disappear from Blogger.
No migration path is provided.

Relevant links:
Blogger's announcement: https://blogger.googleblog.com/2019/01/an-update-on-google-and-blogger.html
Google's announcement: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/9195133
Google's F.A.Q.: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/9217723
Google's F.A.Q. answer regarding Google+ Comments for Blogger: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/9217723#blogger

#GooglePlus #GPlus #Blogger #Plexodus

Originally shared by Filip H.F. “FiXato” Slagter

Lack of Migration Path
I'm disappointed that Google / Blogger are not offering a migration path from Google+ Comments on Blogger back to the native Blogger Comments, especially after you encouraged blogs to start using the G+ integration too. I take some solace though in knowing that Blogger's own announcement blog will be affected too, though since Google seems to be moving their own communication to the platforms created by others (as witnessed by the +Google account suggesting people to follow them on Twitter and Medium instead), I wouldn't be surprised if Google ends up moving their own blogs to something like Medium, as several of Google's developer advocates / Googlers are already posting there.

Took you long enough...
What further disappoints me, is how you, Google/Blogger, have taken this long to actually inform the Blogger users of this. Seriously, your previous post on this blog is from May 2018🤔 you're not setting the best example of remaining active on your own blog. It should've been known already from August that Google+ Comments on Blogger would be affected as well, and yet you still decided to not even tell the Blogger users that their platform would be affected too. Instead, you silently ignored many requests for clarification from our users, and left broken links to Google+ related help documents in the Blogger settings interface, even though they were reported several times through various channels by me and other users.

Broken support links
Actually, those broken links are still there, for instance the Learn More link for Google+ Comments in the Blogger settings for Posts and Comments interface is still pointing to the broken link https://www.blogger.com/go/gpluscommentshelp
What's worse perhaps is that you haven't even bothered yet to include a notice linking to this blog page, at the top of every setting page. The GDPR / cookies notice is still there, so why not add one about this too?
No, instead the interface even encourages blog owners to switch to Google+ Comments.

Missed opportunity
It's a shame Google didn't take this opportunity to offer Google+ users to directly import their Collections into Blogger. Such a missed opportunity that one has to wonder if Blogger perhaps is next on the cutting board... Or, perhaps every team within Google loathes being forced to integrate with Google+ in the past, and now resents them for it, and take it out on the loyal users?

#GooglePlusShutdown #Plexodus #Blogger

(Edited to add formatting.)

Comments

  1. So Wordpress bloggers who used a G+ ghost to comment will be hating on Blogger when they try to comment in future. Sigh. Will have to blog about that. Thanks for the useful links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Blogger going to revert to using its native commenting system?

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Douglas Porter yes. Blogger is switching all blogs using Google+ comments back to Blogger comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me glad I never switched my blogger to use G+ comments! (Only because 1 friend who interacts with it didn't want a G+ account.)

    This is really poor service from Google+ and Blogger . You'd think they could do better, after really putting pressure on people to switch to G+ comments.

    Icarus Anne Riley - this may be of interest to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wish Google would fix their Google+ notifications... but I guess that's not really on their priority list atm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much for all this information.
    I find the way we users of Blogger have been treated over this to be appalling. I've not been contacted by them, and I am now considering moving my blog elsewhere. Speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found Google+'s comment management tools far superior than Blogger's native comment tools. I had turned off commenting on Blogger to bring conversations over here and then found that I was doing most of my writing right here in Google+.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prue Stopford I'm tempted to move mine just because I don't trust Google not to close Blogger down too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fern Kali if you can set up Blogger to use a domain of your own, rather than a blogger com subdomain, then theoretically you can continue to use Blogger without risk, as long as you take regular backups through Takeout. When it goes down, all you would have to do then is migrate your data to another platform, and set up URL redirects to link up the old URL structure with the new one, so none of the URLs change.
    If you're locked in to Blogger's domain, then that's not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogger is going to the graveyard next...

    (Only predicting)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering about this, having managed to only get Blogger to import 3 (seemingly) random comments from my posts to the copies there (and not much else) - I assume that because I imported my Collection there that it will not delete those comments. I also presume (perhaps stupidly?) that setting comments to be allowed by people with a Google account will still work...
    I decided to make a +1 reaction button for mine just to thumb my nose as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I nominate the complete and sudden loss of G+ comments as the worst failure of the end of Google+

    Not affected personally, but (1) comments are super important (2) there's no way to back them up (though you could copy & paste manually) (3) there's been less than a week's notice & many won't get it until after the fact.

    I am philosophical about the overall demise of the project--it was fun while it lasted, right?--but this treatment of comments shows a real lack of compassion for the hapless user.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adam Auster yeah, I bet a lot of interesting and useful discussions on blog posts will get lost... The short notice is just utterly appalling, especially since they must've known this since August already as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fern Kali
    I moved my G+ communities/collections to Blogger... and am setting up a Discord site to run in parallel... just in case! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Filip H.F. Slagter On Blogger, my comments are tremendously important to me. I wouldn't blog without them.

    This would be a real blow.

    If I were about to lose all my comments, I'd save them all somehow: copy and paste, screen shots, whatever, just to have them.

    Then I could at least turn them into blog posts someday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Filip H.F. Slagter I think I'm on a blogger subdomain. I work in tech, so it's kinda embarrassing I don't know more about this sort of thing (but I work on the backend of older tech usually, so I'll forgive myself). I'll try to investigate at some point (newborn baby is taking most of my time at the moment). I really like my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fern Kali if it's the blog linked in your "About" information, your Blogger blog is using Blogger comments, not Google+ Comments, so nothing will change. (Your baby's very cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Peggy K thanks! We think he's pretty amazing 😉

    Yes, I carefully kept blogger comments because I had a friend who didn't want a G+ account but did interact with the blog. It's more that I'm concerned Google will ditch Blogger soon, so thinking I may need to move it, and that feels tricky (especially with a new baby)

    ReplyDelete
  19. If Blogger does go - Peggy K will be our canary in the coalmine. I'm staying. And keeping up with what news does feed out.

    It is the bloggers who used G+ comments while they were the ghosts on G+ that will be sideswiped by this. Not good to be a passive / default 'user' of social media.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fern Kali if Google does ditch Blogger, it won't be soon. Of course these things are unpredictable, but I don't think it has the issues Google+ has had (it just keeps plugging along).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adam Auster
    I used Google+ Exporter to export both my communities and collections in Blogger format (it will also export in Wordpress 4.x and 5.x format) and then imported them into a new Blogger blog. It got all Posts, comments, and pictures.

    gplus-exporter.friendsplus.me - Google+ Exporter

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adam Auster
    Sure - u2u-blog.blogspot.com - User2User-LIVE! Member Blog

    That was built just from importing the export file created by Google+ Exporter

    ReplyDelete
  23. Andrew Hatchett That looks really good, considering.

    I wonder how it would look in one of the newer Blogger themes like Emporio or Contempo.

    Ironic that you can save G+ comments to your posts but bloggers cannot save G+ comments on their blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Adam Auster
    I may try later with other themes, I just wanted to get everything out og G+ while I could and get it a new home.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"