Skip to main content

Rather than exporting around 1230 posts and around 30.000 comments from my most popular collection I have decided to...

Rather than exporting around 1230 posts and around 30.000 comments from my most popular collection I have decided to transform the best material from the collection into blog posts on a new blog. Here's an example. Hopefully, the blog will evolve into a new place to hang out and discuss for the community I have been building through five years of running my collection.
https://www.socratesandthestoics.com/2018/12/a-few-quick-notes-on-committing.html

Comments

  1. Did you do this using downloaded json files? 🤔🙄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi Anne Morris No - I'm doing it manually. Quite simply reading through tons of material and hand picking the best stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jannik Lindquist that's what I thought 💕
    I actually enjoy reading over old post 😊 rather time consuming for you but I understand why you would do it this way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jannik Lindquist I'll note that even if you do download an archive you're likely going to have to go through this stage at some point.

    Simply running a suck-and-blow-gun approach isn't all that appealing, ultimately.

    I'm going through this process on my subreddit, "The Dreddit", a/k/a https://old.reddit.com/r/dredmorbius. There, I'm using a CLI third-party tool which is effectively a text-mode browser, to view, edit, and save content. There were 650 or so posts, I'm down to the last 150 or so, moving at a slow pace (the #Plexodus has ... somewhat interfered).

    I anticipate a similar task with various G+ content.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hectic task, congrats. Seen and commented there, you have included Images also, but G+ comments? Jannik Lindquist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ifinder Ifindi I haven't included G+ comments, no. First of all, I don't see how that could be done. Secondly, while I love the comments my followers have left through the years, I think only approximately 20% of them are on-topic 😊 I have chosen to let the good, on-topic discussions serve as basis for a re-write of the original material before transferring it to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How you made it possible? Any way other than copy & paste you used?
    That's your discretion what type of comments to include in those of migrated
    All may not with Stoic, some may express their like for you by comment
    Thanks again Jannik Lindquist

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is done manually :-) It was always my intention with the collection to transform it into a blog at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish You all the best Jannik Lindquist
    Hope manually means copy & paste - Stoic are practical & with strong survival strengths
    You may know blogger accommodates G+ collections structure
    Thanks to You

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ifinder Ifindi "Manually" means copy & paste and various editing etc :-) I actually enjoy the process - even though it's a little stressful that Google will be closing G+ already in April.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice of You Jannik Lindquist
    That's Stoic, Glad you done so well, even in hard times, That's a Stoic
    Thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jannik Lindquist A blog post on the process itself would be great to have.

    Blog, rather than here, so that it will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edward Morbius Yes, good point. I think I will write one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jannik Lindquist and a link here when you have the post up?

    ReplyDelete
  15. K. T. yes but - remember how paper crumbled because it was acidic? At the university library, when we were deciding whether to rebind that book - we had to fold a corner, and see if the paper broke along the crease.
    Newer books were printed on paper - guaranteed to last a hundred years - but was the content worth it??
    Also digital media - you have the 'floppy disc' but no longer have a viable machine to play it.
    Even 'carved in stone' doesn't last, forever.

    I am still methodically deleting content which even I don't want.
    PS all the energy - running the servers - global weirding - for our immortal content.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely. When I worked at the library in Zurich I was sometimes awed to hold in my hands some of the very earliest books - an illuminated tiny pocket bible stays in my mind (but sadly, not in my pocket)
    Or a page of manuscript signed by Beethoven (which I could look, but not touch) Sigh.

    It is hard to imagine decades forward if a child will have a 'virtual digital' way to experience what we feel if we hold a letter written by a grandparent in that - the past is another country, they did things differently then. But - perhaps that future child will have an immersive reality experience. Didn't they have colours when you were young granny?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diana Studer yes , they would have to fill in the blanks with us from ,let's say ,2006 onwards maybe..They may have questions of the genre:- so how did you make real friends Nana in those days? Or what happened to some of your poems?
    And I'd have to answer,well,didnt do a copy/backup,G+ pulled the plug and poof!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"