Skip to main content

Slightly OT: if you are in it for the long run, why it makes sense for users to bet on open-source and...

Slightly OT: if you are in it for the long run, why it makes sense for users to bet on open-source and open-standards:

Because in the long run, proprietary, closed-source solutions tend to become evolutionary dead-ends.

Which might also be one of the reasons for having a serious look at the open-source social-media platforms (e.g. https://fediverse.party/). They may not look as hip and evolve as fast as their proprietary commercial competitors, but might still be around in a decade or so.

https://blog.kugelfish.com/2014/10/why-open-source-software-works.html

Comments

  1. I'm inclined to go for decentralised and open source solutions from now on as I've been on several social platforms that have shut down. Google have history with this. My main one is Steem/Steemit now as I've found a good community there, but I accept it's not for everyone (not yet at least). As long as someone keeps processing their blockchain it can't be shut down. The main missing feature is communities and I know that's what many want.

    It seems a lot of people favour MeWe, but I've not tried it. I do have accounts on Minds and Diaspora, but am not really using those.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

New comments on this blog are moderated. If you do not have a Google identity, you are welcome to post anonymously. Your comments will appear here after they have been reviewed. Comments with vulgarity will be rejected.

”go"